Budget Build 700 USD upgradeable

crimsonparadox

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Hoping to help out a fellow friend who also wants to build a computer. I showed him the build that you guys gave me here awhile ago but he is wondering if there's anything that is better/cheaper that can run games. He's more of a gamer than I am. Here's his info:

Hoping to keep this rig for a few years and be able to reuse parts.

Approximate Purchase Date: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better)) Either now or blackfriday? Which would you suggest? If it is now I can build next week but if BlackFriday I have to wait until Dec. when I get back from uni.

Budget Range: (e.g.: 600-800) 650-700 usd after

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (e.g.: Folding@Home, gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies) Gaming, surfing, webdesign, movie watching

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg/Amazon

Parts Preferences: Preferably 6770 or better

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: Not sure, want a 20 inch screen

Additional Comments: Need Windows OEM

Solution
Given the need for a monitor and OS, you are looking at an AMD build.

I happen to know that BEST BUY has a Black Friday deal on a 24" monitor that is great. It's going to be sold by ticket (no lines) and will be $80 or $90... so let's budget $100 for the monitor and set the rest at $600.

LG CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS70 OEM - OEM
Rosewill Blackbone Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Seagate Barracuda ST3250312AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
HIS H677FN1GD Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity...

crimsonparadox

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Thanks for the build. I'm assuming this will be able to run most games on high like my friend wants. He also wants to know if there's much of a difference between AM3 and AM3+, if it would be cheaper to go with Am3 board since he might want a 500 gb hd. Is there anything that he can reduce that won't drop performance too much so that he can have a bigger hd and still play games on high?

crimsonparadox

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Alright, I talked with him and he said running on the highest isn't a problem since it can't be helped with the budget, as long as he can at least play with medium quality at the very least. However, he still wants to know if there is a way to wedge a in 500gb hd instead of a 250? He's willing to take a hit on other areas if he can fit it in, unless it compromises too much of the performance.

crimsonparadox

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
He would stick with a 250 but worries about having to buy another Windows OEM if he gets a cheaper HD upgrade later, since he's not sure if he would have to buy another OEM or if he can just reinstall it without another purchase.

The only factor there is the motherboard, not the HDD. As long as the motherboard MODEL is not changed, you can change all the other hardware as much as you like.

And I agree, if you can avoid buying a drive at all right now it would be very nice, and would help get the better card. Any old SATA drive, as long as it works and is say 180GB or better.