Assistance with upgrading memory

MC_K7

Distinguished

Yes exactly I probably wouldn't pay more than 100$ for such an old machine.

Also the only way to get more memory is to change the motherboard, but that would be a very bad idea in my view. Might as well buy a different computer that allows more memory then.

datsikcode

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

Oh yes i agree and understand that its older technology, but im getting it basically for free from my buddy... 40 bucks (also comes with printer/scanner combo).

Why would you say its a bad idea?

Also if i upgrade the motherboard will i be forced to upgrade other hardware? like cpu or anything like that?

MC_K7

Distinguished

Yes pretty much, you will have trouble finding an old motherboard that is compatible with the same socket and that also support more RAM. So if you have to change the board, the CPU, the RAM, etc... Might as well build a new computer from scratch.

And that CPU is pretty weak, so even if you find a board with a compatible socket that supports more RAM, you're likely to hit a CPU bottleneck before you run into RAM problems. And 2 GB of memory isn't bad either, so you might not need to upgrade or won't get a lot of benefit in doing so.

I would recommend to use the PC as it is or get a different one. That being said, this older generation technology will probably work better with older software too. I would recommend to use it with Windows XP as it will not really be well optimized for newer Windows versions anyways. And 2 GB of RAM should be plenty enough for Windows XP, no need to upgrade. Windows XP uses only 300 MB of RAM on idle vs. nearly 1 GB for Windows 7 so you would have more headroom.