HPE h8m 460w power supply - UPS suggested?

Eterion

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Hello,
My neighborhood has occasional blackouts - industrial side of town. Anyway, I just ordered a HPE h8m and upgraded the power supply to 460w.

When I go shopping for a UPS, there's two types - simulated sine wave (which is cheaper) and pure sine wave (which is more expensive). I read somewhere that if your power supply only uses PSW, and you have simulated, in a blackout, the computer shuts down.

Does anyone know which type of sine wave is preferred for whatever 460w power supply that HP stocks into their h8m desktops?

Thanks!

If the power supply unit uses Active PFC (Power Factor Correction) then it is recommended that you use a UPS that outputs a Pure Sine Wave.

If your power supply unit uses Passive PFC or no PFC (the little red AC voltage switch gives it away) then you can use the Simulated Sine Wave or the Pure Sine Wave UPS'.

The little red switch is the only one that manually changes the AC input voltage setting.

The power supply's main power switch (i.e. the big switch) is not the one I'm referring to.