Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ASRock 970 Extreme3 no power

Last response: in Motherboards
December 21, 2012 1:40:53 PM

I just got my brand new mobo this Wednesday. Just got to removing the old mobo, and putting this recommended mobo in. I took precautions to make sure I didn't fry the board. Because I don't have an anti-static bracelet, I followed Newegg tips and touched my metal bookshelf to get rid of any unnecessary static electricity if any. I equip the processor to it, fastened it into the chassis, hooked everything up according to the manual, and then, as I go to turn it on, nothing. It won't start at all.
I've got an AMD 6-core processor, Radeon HD 6670 video card, and an Antec 25 650 watt psu (ATX 12V V2.3).
I'd appreciate any help.
a b V Motherboard
December 21, 2012 2:14:05 PM

Just checking the obvious. 8 pin CPU power connected? PSU switch on? Have another PSU to try?
m
l

Best solution

December 21, 2012 4:15:02 PM

Did you connect both mobo power blocks? Many seem to forget about the 8-pin and only install the larger power connector.
Related resources
December 22, 2012 8:10:00 AM

Yes, I was doing it by the instructions which said both 24-pin plug, and 8-pin plug were necessary. The only part I was confused with was where it talked about the 'short'. A tiny device that connects two of the three prongs on the CMOS. I've even attempted a short start with a screwdriver like on the newegg help video. No life out of it.
I don't have another psu to try it with, but my friend may have one. I'll have to ask him for help in testing.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 22, 2012 3:02:30 PM

The short is to reset the CMOS chip. This will default all settings in the BIOS.
m
l
December 23, 2012 9:04:28 AM

Ok, I tested it. Used my old mobo on the psu and discovered that the ASRock is dead as a doornail..
m
l
January 2, 2013 2:08:53 PM

Best answer selected by 5w337x7007h.
m
l
!