HELP!! Will 3.0 PCI-e Graphic Card work on a 1.0 PCI-e Slot?

PLEASE HELP!!

I have recently purchased a HD Radeon 7750 With 3.0 pci express. The computer that i have ordered also i think has a pci express 1.0, so the question is will it work?

Are 3.0 Graphic Cards compatible with 1.0 pci motherboards?

Thanks!!! :D
12 answers Last reply
More about help graphic card work slot
  1. Yes they are....
  2. It should work. You can see bottlenecking due to the diffference in speed depending on the card. I don't know how much data that card pushes, but it's lower end so any bottlenecking would be less than with a high powered card, like a 79xx or a 680
  3. eshepard said:
    It should work. You can see bottlenecking due to the diffference in speed depending on the card. I don't know how much data that card pushes, but it's lower end so any bottlenecking would be less than with a high powered card, like a 79xx or a 680

Heres a link to my card - http://www.amazon.co.uk/VTX3D-Graphics-Express-DirectX-Technology/dp/B009ODYAS2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1356105394&sr=8-3

So even if it is 3.0 it works with an older 1.0?
  4. no there will be near to none visable speed slowdowns if you are running on a x16 slot.
  5. ThatsMyNameDude said:
    no there will be near to none visable speed slowdowns if you are running on a x16 slot.

thanks i would pick this as best answer but i made the thread into a discussion not a question!
  6. joeviizaa said:
    thanks i would pick this as best answer but i made the thread into a discussion not a question!

er in that case, yes, you can run your pcie 3.0 7750 on a pcie 1.0 motherboard. But it is RECOMMENDED to have at least a pcie 1.0 16x slot.
  7. yeah thats what it has got, thank you
  8. joeviizaa said:
    ThatsMyNameDude said:
    no there will be near to none visable speed slowdowns if you are running on a x16 slot.

It didn`t work for me.

Kicking up a dead thread I know; but I don`t like to leave other peole reading persistently false information.

So I have a `HP` PCI-e 1.0 x16 Motherboard (Old Athlon x64 chip), and I have bought TWO HD7770`s over the months (PCI-e 3.0 x16) and NEITHER Work in the motherboard, no matter which drivers I try and use; after I read dozens of threads telling me thyat I could as all graphics cards are backwards compatible.
    THEY ARE NOT.

You can only use up to a PCI-e 2.0 (NOT 2.1) x16 graphics card in a PCI-e x16 1.0 motherboard.

So; anyone want two HD7770`s barely touched.
    The rig works perfect using an old X1950 XTX 512.
    But I wanted 1Gb.

?
    The best many people in a similar situation can hope for a up to a HD 4970 x2 or something.

After; the 5000 series you need a slot 1.1 or 2.0 or 2.1 Mo-bo

Kill the thread now?
  9. It worked fine for me.

I have a 7750 which is capable of running on 3.0 slots, but the PC I use is a Dell Optiplex 755 has a 1.0 slot.

It works fine, and i get high frame rates on most games. I can run nearly everything apart from Next Gen games.

So no, not kill the thread now
  10. so the 7750 work out fine in that dell ??? that's good to know I like to see what cards work in them and how powerful the card is there seems to be a limit one how high end you can go with out a failed upgrade
  11. joeviizaa said:
    It worked fine for me.

I have a 7750 which is capable of running on 3.0 slots, but the PC I use is a Dell Optiplex 755 has a 1.0 slot.

It works fine, and i get high frame rates on most games. I can run nearly everything apart from Next Gen games.

So no, not kill the thread now

I looked up the specs for your Mo-bo; but cant see which PCI-e slot it is. 1.0 or 1.1 ; It isn`t listed in there.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/opti_755_techspecs.pdf

I have seen some graphics cards I know to be Ver 2.1 listed as 2.0.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Graphics Cards PCI Express