Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

HELP!! Will 3.0 PCI-e Graphic Card work on a 1.0 PCI-e Slot?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Graphics Cards
  • PCI Express
Last response: in Motherboards
December 21, 2012 1:43:17 PM

PLEASE HELP!!

I have recently purchased a HD Radeon 7750 With 3.0 pci express. The computer that i have ordered also i think has a pci express 1.0, so the question is will it work?

Are 3.0 Graphic Cards compatible with 1.0 pci motherboards?


Thanks!!! :D 

More about : pci graphic card work pci slot

December 21, 2012 1:51:28 PM

Yes they are....
December 21, 2012 1:52:25 PM

It should work. You can see bottlenecking due to the diffference in speed depending on the card. I don't know how much data that card pushes, but it's lower end so any bottlenecking would be less than with a high powered card, like a 79xx or a 680
Related resources
December 21, 2012 1:57:27 PM

eshepard said:
It should work. You can see bottlenecking due to the diffference in speed depending on the card. I don't know how much data that card pushes, but it's lower end so any bottlenecking would be less than with a high powered card, like a 79xx or a 680



Heres a link to my card - http://www.amazon.co.uk/VTX3D-Graphics-Express-DirectX-...

So even if it is 3.0 it works with an older 1.0?
December 21, 2012 2:00:49 PM

no there will be near to none visable speed slowdowns if you are running on a x16 slot.
December 21, 2012 2:11:25 PM

ThatsMyNameDude said:
no there will be near to none visable speed slowdowns if you are running on a x16 slot.


thanks i would pick this as best answer but i made the thread into a discussion not a question!
December 22, 2012 1:55:08 AM

joeviizaa said:
thanks i would pick this as best answer but i made the thread into a discussion not a question!


er in that case, yes, you can run your pcie 3.0 7750 on a pcie 1.0 motherboard. But it is RECOMMENDED to have at least a pcie 1.0 16x slot.
December 22, 2012 12:17:12 PM

yeah thats what it has got, thank you
November 6, 2014 5:51:34 AM

joeviizaa said:
ThatsMyNameDude said:
no there will be near to none visable speed slowdowns if you are running on a x16 slot.


thanks i would pick this as best answer but i made the thread into a discussion not a question!


It didn`t work for me.


Kicking up a dead thread I know; but I don`t like to leave other peole reading persistently false information.

So I have a `HP` PCI-e 1.0 x16 Motherboard (Old Athlon x64 chip), and I have bought TWO HD7770`s over the months (PCI-e 3.0 x16) and NEITHER Work in the motherboard, no matter which drivers I try and use; after I read dozens of threads telling me thyat I could as all graphics cards are backwards compatible.
THEY ARE NOT.

You can only use up to a PCI-e 2.0 (NOT 2.1) x16 graphics card in a PCI-e x16 1.0 motherboard.

So; anyone want two HD7770`s barely touched.
The rig works perfect using an old X1950 XTX 512.
But I wanted 1Gb.

?
The best many people in a similar situation can hope for a up to a HD 4970 x2 or something.

After; the 5000 series you need a slot 1.1 or 2.0 or 2.1 Mo-bo

Kill the thread now?
November 7, 2014 1:50:54 PM

It worked fine for me.

I have a 7750 which is capable of running on 3.0 slots, but the PC I use is a Dell Optiplex 755 has a 1.0 slot.


It works fine, and i get high frame rates on most games. I can run nearly everything apart from Next Gen games.

So no, not kill the thread now
a c 248 V Motherboard
a c 153 U Graphics card
November 7, 2014 3:38:32 PM

so the 7750 work out fine in that dell ??? that's good to know I like to see what cards work in them and how powerful the card is there seems to be a limit one how high end you can go with out a failed upgrade
November 9, 2014 8:40:18 AM

joeviizaa said:
It worked fine for me.

I have a 7750 which is capable of running on 3.0 slots, but the PC I use is a Dell Optiplex 755 has a 1.0 slot.


It works fine, and i get high frame rates on most games. I can run nearly everything apart from Next Gen games.

So no, not kill the thread now


I looked up the specs for your Mo-bo; but cant see which PCI-e slot it is. 1.0 or 1.1 ; It isn`t listed in there.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/...

I have seen some graphics cards I know to be Ver 2.1 listed as 2.0.