Sign in with
Your question

Ram usage& Low ram available?

Last response: in Memory
December 21, 2012 1:44:40 PM

Hi there , i've been using 2x4GB of Corsair XMS3 ram sticks , but the thing is i get like 25% ram usage by simply running Chrome !! Furthermore in the Task Manager under the Performance Tab i can see that my memory is 8174 , but the available is only 6025!( cached 3665 , free 2509 while writing this post with only google chrome running) Is this typical i mean that's how it should be?

More about : ram usage low ram

December 21, 2012 2:20:33 PM

It all depends on what background tasks you are running. I have 16GB RAM and quite a few tasks running in the taskbar. My memory usage is 13% which is about half of yours. If you go to task manager and go to processes, check out the tasks that are using your memory. I just noticed for the first time that Chrome has like 6 running tasks, using close to 300mb of memory. Seems weird to me. I will check into why Chrome has this many running tasks (might just be me).

Edit: Ok. Chrome uses different processes for each tab, different add-ons and extensions. This makes it more stable if a tab or add-on crashes

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/77976-chrome-multiple-processes.html
December 21, 2012 3:06:29 PM

cball1311 said:
It all depends on what background tasks you are running. I have 16GB RAM and quite a few tasks running in the taskbar. My memory usage is 13% which is about half of yours. If you go to task manager and go to processes, check out the tasks that are using your memory. I just noticed for the first time that Chrome has like 6 running tasks, using close to 300mb of memory. Seems weird to me. I will check into why Chrome has this many running tasks (might just be me).

Edit: Ok. Chrome uses different processes for each tab, different add-ons and extensions. This makes it more stable if a tab or add-on crashes

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/77976-chrome-multiple-processes.html

What about the 6GB available instead of the 8GB ?
Related resources
December 21, 2012 4:01:47 PM

That just means the physical amount that you have available after memory utilization in Windows. 8GB - 2GB (used by Windows) = 6 GB total available. Completely normal.
December 21, 2012 4:11:59 PM

You can type 'msconfig' in the run prompt and under the start-up tab you'll see everything that has a checkmark starts running at computer startup. I always uncheck everything except my anti-virus software to free up system resources/maximize performance and boot times.
!