Sign in with
Your question

Asus GTX560 DirectCU - 3 monitors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 18, 2011 10:44:25 PM

Hello,

i want to connect three monitors as one (to expand my desktop)i have asus gtx560directCU i keep trying but it seems to be i am missing something. is it possible or not? what should i do? i want to have one task bar over all three monitors. do i need special software?
September 18, 2011 11:07:09 PM

If I remember correctly, you need 2 cards running in SLI to run more than 2 monitors so it's impossible to do it on a single card.
And yes, you need special software such as Realtime Soft UltraMon and Actual Multiple Monitors to have taskbar on all monitors.
September 18, 2011 11:09:13 PM

yeah nvidia hasn't figured out how to game on a single card yet amd has had it for years. main reason i have amd
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 91 C Monitor
September 19, 2011 2:45:02 AM

Nvidia only supports 2 monitors, amd supports 3 with displayport.

It's not that they haven't figured out, they choose not to. There are quadros that support up to 4 monitors and are single gpu, not mentioning dual gpus. The reason is nvidia focuses geforce on gaming and anyone with a 3 monitor gaming rig is not gaming on a single card. It's simple, even a 580 can't possibly hardcore game at 5760x1080.

Seriously you think they can't figure out how to do more than 2 monitors? No offense.
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
September 19, 2011 3:06:25 AM

The Standard for consumer cards was two monitors for a long time (yes matrox did 3 but who cares :p ). Eyefinity came about as a feature for the 5000 series, and by the time nVidia found out about it they had already done their Fermi dies and had a hard time making those work as they were so they got blindsided by AMD. The 500 series is mostly a fix of the 400 series.

Anyway you need another GTX 560 if you want to game with 3 monitors. If you just want it for desktop use you can just get another video card (like a cheap gt 430 or something) and connect a third monitor do it.
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b C Monitor
September 19, 2011 4:02:54 AM

Quote:
The reason is nvidia focuses geforce on gaming and anyone with a 3 monitor gaming rig is not gaming on a single card. It's simple, even a 580 can't possibly hardcore game at 5760x1080.

Really? The slower 6970 seems to do ok.

Quote:
Eyefinity came about as a feature for the 5000 series, and by the time nVidia found out about it they had already done their Fermi dies and had a hard time making those work as they were so they got blindsided by AMD. The 500 series is mostly a fix of the 400 series.

Thats the real reason. The IGP found in Intel's IB is supposed to support 3 monitors, and I'd be surprised if the GTX6xx didn't as well. If it doesn't, that means they've been working on the 6 series since before AMDs 5xxx series came out. 7xx would be the latest you'd see 3 monitor support from Nvidia.
September 19, 2011 8:24:47 AM

so what is your suggestion, my budget doesnt allow me to buy another
gtx560. i would rather buy another video card cheaper offcourse. My motherboard is MSI 990FXA-GD65. can i connect another video card on this motherboard. i have about 200$ for new video card.
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b C Monitor
September 19, 2011 9:24:27 AM

You can buy a cheaper video card like a GT220, but you won't be able to make them run together. Perhaps sell your card on ebay/local craigs list and buy a 6870? (or more of budget allows.)
September 19, 2011 10:11:16 AM

i think that best solution would be to buy another video card so i can paire with asus gtx 560 and make them run as one that would be great for playing game over 3 monitors and also for one desktop. what video card i should buy because i am not sure does it has to be also asus or not because of parring them together
September 19, 2011 10:30:28 AM

The best way is to buy another 560. It doesn't have to be from the same company.

Also, the 560 has 1Gb VRAM so you will have to turn down/off settings (AA/AF etc) to avoid bottlenecks in surround.

If running SLI, also make sure you have a good PSU.

Good luck.
September 19, 2011 11:52:50 AM

yes, i thought of that but i also have to get another power supply because
this gtx560 recommend at least 450 watts its not that simple.
my problem is what video card should i get to pair with this one, and when i instal it on mother board i don't have to connect on separate power supply?
September 19, 2011 1:33:26 PM

You can get ANY GTX560. It doesn't have to be the same GTX560.

I think you should get a NEW power supply. Minimum 600W.
September 19, 2011 2:39:58 PM

this is my configuration
Asus GeForce ENGTX560 Ti DirectCU II
MSI 990FXA-GD65
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.40GHz 8MB
CHIEFTEC GPS-550AB-A 550W
kingston hyperx 2x4GB DDR3 PC1666
2 philips 24inches 241e1sb
1 samsung t240
WD/SAMSUNG 1TB 7200rpm SATA 32 cache

for gtx560 i have to buy one more power supply

i thought if there is a video card supplying with power from motherboard but also good one so i can pair with this one.

NOW I AM TRYING WITH CHEAP VIDEO CARD JUST TO EXPAND MY DESKTOP
I ALSO TRIED ONE TASKBAR OVER ALL THREE MONITORS WITH DISPLAY FUSION AND ITS NOT WORKING. ANY SUGGESTION FOR SOFTWARE

I WANT MY DESKTOP LIKE THIS ONE HERE (CLICK ON LINK BELOW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVIMs3upVp8
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b C Monitor
September 19, 2011 3:33:53 PM

ZenithCS said:
If I remember correctly, you need 2 cards running in SLI to run more than 2 monitors so it's impossible to do it on a single card.
And yes, you need special software such as Realtime Soft UltraMon and Actual Multiple Monitors to have taskbar on all monitors.

farrengottu said:
yeah nvidia hasn't figured out how to game on a single card yet amd has had it for years. main reason i have amd

k1114 said:
Nvidia only supports 2 monitors, amd supports 3 with displayport.

It's not that they haven't figured out, they choose not to. There are quadros that support up to 4 monitors and are single gpu, not mentioning dual gpus. The reason is nvidia focuses geforce on gaming and anyone with a 3 monitor gaming rig is not gaming on a single card. It's simple, even a 580 can't possibly hardcore game at 5760x1080.

Seriously you think they can't figure out how to do more than 2 monitors? No offense.

Whilst it's not an 'official' card it does exist nonetheless.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/kfa2-geforce-gtx-560-ti-m...

a b Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 91 C Monitor
September 19, 2011 4:42:12 PM

Well I don't have much time to search right now but I can't find a 6970 benchmark at 5760x1080 but there is the 6990/590 review. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-590-dua...

I stand corrected to the correct multi monitor reason. But why didn't more aftermarket company not make the change like kfa? Unless it's the same reason nvidia didn't: already in production?
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b C Monitor
September 19, 2011 4:48:32 PM

???

OP, software has already been suggested. And I guess I need to repeat myself as well. You CAN'T buy a cheap card and get Eyefinity. It won't work. You need another GTX560. Sucks you can't afford another one but that's how it is. READ THIS!!!!

Quote:
You can buy a cheaper video card like a GT220, but you won't be able to make them run together. Perhaps sell your card on ebay/local craigs list and buy a 6870? (or more of budget allows.)
!