XPS 630i - nVidia 8800GT upgrade Gcard? or more?

radair

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Hi folks, I've been trying to re-educate myself on the latest computer technology and it's been awhile. On a scale from 1-10 on computer hardware knowledge (10 being the best), I am probably around a 5 or 6.

Below are my specs. I've looked all over forums on multiple sites including this one. And although I'm learning more, the bottom line is I still don't know what will be the best possible upgrade for my graphics card that my current system will handle.

At the very most I'd spend $450. If after some of you great tech guys review my spec and suggest a mobo upgrade or cpu upgrade, just let me know. I'm very open and eager to learn. Ultimately I want to be able to play the latest pc games (upcoming MW3) with great frame rate (that's key...framerate) with a high level of graphics settings. I should also add that if I play World of Warcraft or Call of Duty: Black Ops, at max graphics or even slightly below, the framerate drops quite a bit.

What can I upgrade (any suggestions would be great) within a reasonable budget that will allow me to play at higher graphical settings while maintaining a great framerate? Is it ram? will my mobo handle the newer types of DDR3 or w/e ram? GPU upgrade? WHAT?!?! Help a noob out. Thanks in advance!

XPS 630i
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (GenuineIntel)
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 3)

Total Current Physical Memory: 3.25 GB
Total Current Virtual Memory: 2.00 GB
Maximum Memory Capacity: 0.50 GB
Memory Devices:
Type: DDR-2* - Speed: 800 MHz - Capacity: 1.00 GB

(As far as ram goes, I think even though I have 4gb of ram, but because I'm running at 32 bit on windows XP, if I understand correctly and I could be mistaken, it caps out at 3.25).

Motherboard

Manufacturer: Dell Inc
Model: 0PP150 (vA00)

radair

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011

Let's see it is the stock one that comes with the dell model. I would imagine 750w. Is there a quick way to check without opening up comp at the moment?