Need opinions on first build, and some help

Hello everyone, this is my first ever computer build and I'd appreciate it if you'd give me your opinions and advice. Doing mostly gaming with it:

Case: Corsair Carbide 500R
PSU: OCZ ZT 750W Fully Modular
CPU: Intel i5 - 2500k
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper Evo
MoBo: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6950 2GB
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaw 8GB DDR3 1600 (2x4gb)
HDD: Waiting for deal
OD: SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner

Total without taxes, shipping, or the hard drive = $950 (Newegg.com)

Monitor: ??? (see below)

Originally I wanted to keep this under $900 but I couldn't help myself and am planning on selling my PS3 to help pay for it.

Does this look like a good build for >$1200? Are there any deals you guys know of that could help me out? I'm open to any and all advice and suggestions.

Couple of concerns/questions:

1. The MoBo doesn't have a USB 3.0 header, but the case has two USB 3.0 front ports. Should I change MoBos or change the case or is there an easy solution I'm too much of a noob to know about?

2. I'm interested in selling my old flatscreen and replacing it with a new HD monitor to watch TV through. I have Verizon FiOs and a regular Motorola set-top-box (No HD/DVR) with no DVI or HDMI outputs. I'm curious as to whats the best way to go about doing this and if this will change my build at all. Should I buy a monitor with a built in TV tuner or install an internal tuner? Will I need a sound card or is the onboard audio still good enough?

I saw this Samsung 23" LCD Monitor with a built in TV Tuner, but I'm not sure how the connections work and the reviews say the audio quality is bad:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001424

Appreciate any help and promise to use this knowledge for the greater good!
3 answers Last reply
More about need opinions build help
  1. I would go for a cheaper Case Rosewill has a couple good ones with USB 3.0 and also upgrade your motherboard

Its up to you if you want to get just a TV with it but I'll list you a good monitor
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059
  2. From reading another thread here, I guess Microcenter is taking $60 off any z68 MoBo when purchased with the 2500k, so I'm going to go ahead and upgrade the MoBo like you said to the ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3.

Updated Build:

Case: Corsair Carbide 500R
    PSU: OCZ ZT 750W Fully Modular
    CPU: Intel i5 - 2500k
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper Evo
    MoBo: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3
    GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6950 2GB
    RAM: G. Skill Ripjaw 8GB DDR3 1600 (2x4gb)
    HDD: Waiting for deal
    OD: SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner

And that's a good price for a monitor like that. Thanks.

/BUMP
  3. you could save money from mobo, case and psu and get a 570
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product