Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Looking to upgrade my GTX 295 Co-op

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 19, 2011 12:36:09 AM

I opened a thread a while back about upgrading my GTX 295. At that time, it was clear I should wait. Well, it's been a while, has anything changed? Here's the link to that thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/314552-33-upgrading-a...

The only thing that has really changed was that I now am really considering EyeFinity. There's nothing like it with Nvidia, which makes them now out of my options. So, if I can't choose a Nvidia card, and it's been a few months, is there a good upgrade for me? The 6990 is still really expensive and I am not sure if I should get it. The 6970 was looking really good to me, but will I see any performance increase from my GTX 295? And, if I plan to run EyeFinity with 3 monitors, (like 7k x 2k resolution, not sure the exacts) will that card have enough RAM to support a game like Starcraft II running at that resolution and max quality? World of Warcraft, too.

Thanks again everyone!

More about : upgrade gtx 295

September 19, 2011 1:18:44 AM

SLI or gtx 590 idk
September 19, 2011 1:37:27 AM

i have a 6950 2gb and play at 5040x1050 and i have no slow down issues....i dont feel like lookn up dx10/dx9 benches to check raw hp but a 6970 will do you just fine
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2011 1:37:47 AM

Starcraft 2 will not matter, it will only play on one monitor because of the unfair advantage on 3 monitors. Believe me I've tried, and once I found out that they force it to one monitor I got bummed.

Best solution

a c 212 U Graphics card
September 19, 2011 2:02:03 AM
Share

Steffwiz said:
The only thing that has really changed was that I now am really considering EyeFinity. There's nothing like it with Nvidia,


http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-surround-technol...
http://hardocp.com/article/2010/06/29/nvidia_3d_vision_...

Resolution would be 5760x1080 or 5760 x1200 like the Asus

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If ya want the 3D, ya need 120Hz monitors

I'd avoid the 590 and 6990 as both scale terribly if ya add a second and their price / performance pales to other options.. I'd do 2 6970's (X-fire w/ 3 ATI cards is sketchy) or either 2 or 3 580s in SLI.

WoW substantially favors nVidia cards.....dunno about Starcraft.
September 19, 2011 2:55:09 AM

mightymaxio said:
Starcraft 2 will not matter, it will only play on one monitor because of the unfair advantage on 3 monitors. Believe me I've tried, and once I found out that they force it to one monitor I got bummed.


It works from what I've seen. Just need a few modifications. Not like Blizzard intentionally blocks the high resolution..
September 19, 2011 2:56:31 AM

Quote:
what's your budget, power supply, motherboard and case.?


No budget, really. Just don't want to waste money. Power supply should be plenty at 1250w. Motherboard is a EVGA 3x SLI Classified, and my case is a NZXT Phantom. Should be plenty of room.
September 19, 2011 3:00:43 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-surround-technol...
http://hardocp.com/article/2010/06/29/nvidia_3d_vision_...

Resolution would be 5760x1080 or 5760 x1200 like the Asus

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If ya want the 3D, ya need 120Hz monitors

I'd avoid the 590 and 6990 as both scale terribly if ya add a second and their price / performance pales to other options.. I'd do 2 6970's (X-fire w/ 3 ATI cards is sketchy) or either 2 or 3 580s in SLI.

WoW substantially favors nVidia cards.....dunno about Starcraft.


Which do you think is better, then? Surround or Eyefinity?
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2011 4:15:59 AM

Although you can get the custom resolution hack to work for starcraft 2, the people who made it said its not condoned by Blizzard which means you can get your account banned if they find out that you are using it for an unfair advantage online. I was reading that many people got banned in tournaments doing this.
September 20, 2011 8:31:01 PM

dontcrosthestreams said:
i have a 6950 2gb and play at 5040x1050 and i have no slow down issues....i dont feel like lookn up dx10/dx9 benches to check raw hp but a 6970 will do you just fine


Thanks!
September 20, 2011 8:36:27 PM

Quote:
not bad, I have a EVGA P55 SLi board, 750-watt PSU and Antec 300 Illusion.
we're kinda similar and then different too...:D 
are you thinking of running SLi or maybe Radeon CFX.?

I have had an Eyefinity set-up and even CFX Eyefinity @ 3840 x 1024 resolution.
I now run SLi 2D surround @ the same res.
If running a single card and wanting 3 monitors then 2 - 3 choices nVidia and tens of choices Radeon..


Haha yeah. :) 

I would want to run my three monitors at something like 7680x1600.
September 20, 2011 8:48:52 PM

mightymaxio said:
Although you can get the custom resolution hack to work for starcraft 2, the people who made it said its not condoned by Blizzard which means you can get your account banned if they find out that you are using it for an unfair advantage online. I was reading that many people got banned in tournaments doing this.


That's stupid. There is no unfair advantage at all.
October 8, 2011 7:01:27 PM

Best answer selected by Steffwiz.
a c 271 U Graphics card
October 8, 2011 7:21:24 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!