Problems connecting to internet after a fresh Windows 7 install

Nayeen

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
Hi!

I installed Windows 7 on a brand new computer but I am having difficulties connecting to the internet.

The problem is that my computer says that Ethernet cable is not plugged in. Even though it is.

However, I can use the same cable on my other computer which can connect to internet without any issues. The cable is connected directly to the modem provided by my ISP so I am not using any routers.

1.) I am assuming that the modem is not the problem because I have two different computers connected to the internet.

2.) Also, the Ethernet cable should not be the problem, because I can connect the other two computers with the same Ethernet cable (one laptop and one desktop).

When I plug the Ethernet cable to my new computer the LED light usually doesn't turn on (sometimes it blinks for a second and then turns off).

I checked the device manager and found that my network adapter uses a driver dated to 2008. So I went and installed a new driver from a DVD that came with my motherboard (Asus P7P55D-E Pro). The driver is now dated to 2.7.2010. However this didn't solve my issue.

I also tried to turn off the computer, unplug everything, restart modem, plugged everything back and turned my computer back on. Still, Ethernet cable is not detected.

Also worth mentioning is that there is NOTHING installed on the computer but a fresh installation of Windows 7 64-bit and a new network adapter driver.

What can I do?

Nayeen

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
If I type "ipconfig" in CMD I get the following info:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Tunnel adapter isatap. (some long number/letter serial code):
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Nayeen

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
Updated driver to version 7.31.1025.2010 date 25.10.2010 (from Realtek website).

I also tried to un-check "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Which did not solve the issue.

Nayeen

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
I tried to install the windows xp driver but it gives me compatibility error. And there is not even an option to run the setup in compatibility with xp. The oldest version of the driver I could get was 7.2.1127.2008 dated 26.2.2008. But it doesn't do any good.

I also tried to get a router plugged into my modem and then plugging my new computer to a router (in case this was some sort of MAC address problem when a certain slot on the modem was 'linked' to the computer previously using it). But even while connected to a router it still says that Ethernet cable is unplugged. I can't even ping the router in CMD - it gives me some type of general error. And by the way, the router does work because I tried to connect some other computer to it.

I also noticed that if I go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections that my Local Area Connection status changes approximately every 10 seconds. It goes from "cable unplugged" to "enabled" to "identifying connection" and back to cable unplugged (but the whole thing lasts less then a second). I don't know what's that all about but it is only happening if my Ethernet cable is plugged into the computer.

I have also disabled the option for computer to turn off device to save power and green Ethernet but it doesn't help.

Imak

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

Hi Nayeen, this may or may not be the case considering there are a lot of drivers that wont be activated on a fresh install of Windows 7. But find out which network adapter is installed on your computer and download the device drivers from another computer onto a usb card, then update those drivers to the pc and that should get your network adapter up and running to identify networks in your area.