Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Are all PSUs the exact same size

Last response: in Components
February 16, 2012 5:33:52 AM

ok this is what im working with...

as you can see i have no room for anything bigger, but i want one more card and will need at least a 1200w psu. i need to know if they vary in size because even 1/4 of an inch larger just will not work

More about : psus exact size

a b ) Power supply
February 16, 2012 6:28:58 AM

Not all PSU's are the same size. You'll have to physically measure your PSU and compare it with given measurements on manufacturer's websites. The problem is that even though they may all be called "ATX" form factor, they still differ in size.

Just out of curiosity, what are you trying to run? That CM Silent Pro 1kW is an amazing PSU, and if it can't handle your build then I'm jealous... ;) 

Oh, and for the record, if you're looking for massive power you may want to look at the Corsair AX 1200, though it's a very long PSU and I don't think it will fit with ease. I wanted to ask you why you don't move the radiator to the top of that case when I noticed o hai thar, another radiator! Nice build man!

Best solution

a c 87 ) Power supply
February 16, 2012 7:27:32 AM

The Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000W is 150x86x165mm (the 165 is the one that varies).

The Corsair AX 1200 is 150x86x200.

The Thortech ThunderBolt 1200W (and ThunderBolt Plus 1200W) are the only unit(s) that I can think of with that kind of wattage that are 150x86x160.
Review of the ThunderBolt 1200W:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

Those are both based on the High Power Plus Gold 1200W which is also 150x86x160. The 1000W version did not get a very positive review at JG.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
Related resources
February 17, 2012 1:40:35 AM

@toxxyc
i need another 570 because what i have now doesnt cut it for 3 monitors. i didnt realize the dimentions were stated in the details, i guess i never looked.
@silvine
thanks for finding that one. i read the review, but ill research it a bit more. just hope that sticker comes off or ill have to paint if i get that one.
February 17, 2012 1:41:06 AM

Best answer selected by tjosborne.
!