Budget Range: 1500$
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Development, surfing, movie
Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse
Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
Parts Preferences: Intel CPU with an ASUS Motherboard
Overclocking: Maybe
SI or Crossfire: Maybe
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
Additional Comments: Dual display 2*22inch, good extension possibility (no video games for the moment... but i don't know what the future will be ^^)

This is the configuration I plan to buy

CPU : INTEL Core i5 2500K
Motheboard : ASUS P8Z68-V
RAM : CORSAIR CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 - DDR3-1600 - 2 x 4GB - Vengeance - 8-8-8-24
SSD : CORSAIR Force Series 3 60GB
Case : CORSAIR Carbide Series 400R
PSU : CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2

I plan to use the HD 3000 GPU for now and maybe buy a graphic card later. Is the HD 3000 good in dual Full HD display? (with a Z68 chipset)
The same thing for the HDD, I will buy it when the price will be normal....
I, m not buying a CPU cooler because I don't want to overclock now but maybe later

I'm not sure about the PSU and the SSD too.

Do you have any advice for me ?

Thanks

Nic
November 16, 2011 1:41:44 AM

What kind of "development" are you doing?
m
l
November 16, 2011 1:51:26 AM

J2EE (required a lots of RAM to build and run a project, 8g is a good amount), some website and other language...
m
l
Related resources
November 16, 2011 2:01:59 AM

The low profile is 9-9-9-24 and mine is 8-8-8-24, is there a big difference between these two?

Any problem known with the corsair builder series PSU ?

No CUDA compatible apps ^^
m
l
November 16, 2011 10:51:14 AM

hey nic,
workstation generally implies that this computer is for work, not play, which generally means no OC as stability and longevity are goal #1. In other words go get a non K processor of either the 2500 or 2600 varieity.

Does your software take advantage of HT when compiling? If so that would give you a nice little boost and the i7 may be worth looking into.

If this is not for gaming then go nuts on the ram. 16GB should still fit in your budget with no problem. There is no pratical difference between tighter timings on ram in DDR3, and there is only a 5-10% difference between 1333 and 1600 for most applications (though I admit I do not know what the impact would be on programming and compiling), so don't be afraid to look at cheaper 1333 and get 'more than you will ever need' (lol, we have all heard that before!)

I love Corsair, but their power supplies and SSDs are mediocre (love their ram and cases though!). For SSD go with Crucial, Intel, or OCZ (just be sure to have latest firmware with OCZ as it fixes many problems) as these are the best 3 companies from a stability and customer service point. Corsair is upcoming and doing better, but I think you will be happier with one of the other.
As for power supplies, the 600W is way overkill for your system. Total system draw for your build is only ~250W, and probably lower. 600W is for entry level xFire setups, or if you are planning on having some 8+HDDs, nither of which you are doing. I would still get a respectable 4-500W power supply so that you can get a decent GPU down the line for multiple high res monitors, but as this is no gaming machine you really dont need anything super powerful unless you were to need CUDA support, which you say you dont. OCZ is a good power supply company (they own PC Power and Cooling which make the BEST power supplies). I chose a 750W OCZ power supply, and it seems quite good, and dead quiet (now if I could get my GPU to shut up lol).

For a mobo, you can go much cheaper and still be very happy. look at the feature set you need, and choose an apropriate chipset. You could probably get away with a P67 chipset and never know the difference between it and the z68. The chipset does not determine the speed of the system, only the features that the system has to offer. If you are set on z68 then I would suggest the one I bought; ASRock extreme3 gen3, or one of it's bigger brothers. The only problem I have found with it is that one of the fan headers is stuck on high.

The HD2/3000 graphics will do multi-monitor, but with limited success from what I have read online. You will probably be fine, and you can try it. If it doesnt work out then you can always buy a low-mid class GPU to get better multi-monitor support. If you do not need CUDA then go for an AMD as they are cheaper per performance, and use less power per performance than the nVidia chips. But from what I have seen of HD2000 on laptops I have to say that I am surprised and impressed at what Intel has done. It is no performance card, but as an onboard solution, and considering the utter crap that Intel has done in the past, the HD2000 is more than acceptable for the light gamer.

Well, I think we have only spent about <$500 of your $1500, so that is more than enough money to buy some nice large monitors, and splurge on an i7. Being a programmer you should put at least one of your monitors in portrate mode, so be sure to get a monitor that will do that. Also, you may find that you will like the 16:10 aspect ratio better than 16:9. But then again I suppose most people are not as picky as I am.

hope it helps, good luck!
m
l
November 16, 2011 10:53:32 AM

Do not get pick within this memory latencies. It doesn't reflect performance differences in real world usage.

For 2nd generation intel core (in the case, ur i5-2500k) do not bother about ram faster than 1333mhz, you won't have benefits. Only Llano Cpu could have a good performance impact within faster ram.

You could try to get some 1.5V low profile 4x4GB 1333mhz DDR3, I think that for your compilation/program development would be a great cheap add.
m
l
November 16, 2011 11:33:15 AM

I resume
Corep i7 2600
PSU 500w (no corsair)
DDR 3 4x4Gb
Motheboard Z67 or P67+low-mid range discrete GPU
If I don't plan to overclock (didn't know about stability issue), is a h67 woud be enough?
SSD intel crucial or ocz
m
l
November 17, 2011 12:56:51 AM

DelroyMonjo said:
From what I've read about hardware requirements for J2EE you could probably run it on a netbook.
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10464_05/core.904/b...
Why you would need 2 monitors is a bit fuzzy.

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/EP/Hardware+and+So...

A J2EE compilation could use 2go of RAM without any problem and a J2EE server with a database could use a lot amour of memory too...

Dual screen is the best for a programmer...
m
l
November 17, 2011 1:11:07 AM

What is the difference between a low-mid range GPU and a Low quadro card like Quadro NVS 295?
m
l
!