Antec power supply makes noise during prime 95

azed3000

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
Hey guys, i have an 750watt antec power supply, and ive noticed a high pitch squealing/buzzing noise when i run prime 95. My cpu (i7 950) is overclocked to 4.4ghz and when the clocks are reduced the noise disappears. Its pretty obvious that the problem of the noise is cause of the high clocks/volatge. My question is, is it safe to run the computer for every day use with the squealing noise?, keep in mind the squealing noise only comes when the computer is running prime 95. Haven't noticed it during gameplay. If i keep these settings will my power supply give out?? and i also have a 5 year warranty on it, so is it covered by warranty if the power-supply does give out?

Thanks

Solution
Sounds like your power supply just isn't up to the task. I don't know how much power consumption goes up when overclocking but the i7 is not exactly sipping power at stock speeds.

Try running Prime again with all unnecessary devices unplugged: optical drive, extra hard drives, sound card removed, etc. If you still have a whine from the power supply, I don't think you're getting 750W from it.

It's also possible that your power supply has multiple 12V rails and your power load is imbalanced. Check the PS label for items like 12V1, 12V2, etc. If you have a multi-rail design, you may to have to figure out how to balance it better.

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
How old is the PSU? Is it still under warranty? Sounds like a capacitor in the PSU could be causing the noise.
Capacitors, resistors and coils generate frequencies used in power supplies. Apparently some of them can be audible.
Are you sure it's not the fan or the fan on the CPU?

azed3000

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
The Psu is around 1 month old. I am 100% sure its the psu since it only happens when i run prime 95 or when the computer is under heavy load (100% cpu usage) Could it be that the psu is just not powerful enough to handle the overclock or is it just making that sound since theres heaps of voltage in use by the cpu?? im also running a h80 water cooler, and a 6950 graphics card as well as several fans on the actual box itself.

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Sounds like your power supply just isn't up to the task. I don't know how much power consumption goes up when overclocking but the i7 is not exactly sipping power at stock speeds.

Try running Prime again with all unnecessary devices unplugged: optical drive, extra hard drives, sound card removed, etc. If you still have a whine from the power supply, I don't think you're getting 750W from it.

It's also possible that your power supply has multiple 12V rails and your power load is imbalanced. Check the PS label for items like 12V1, 12V2, etc. If you have a multi-rail design, you may to have to figure out how to balance it better.

Solution

azed3000

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012

I didnt consider that, the power supply must be imbalanced cause im running everything even graphics card on the first 12v label. I was wondering why im having oc problems with a 750 watt, never knew i was suppose to balance it. Thanks mate!