Sign in with
Your question

XP - ShutDown - doesn't !

Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
December 11, 2001 7:50:41 AM

I don't know if this is an XP problem or something else. I've got a brand new box with an Epox 8KHA+ sporting an Athlon 1600XP and I'm running Windows XP Professional. All has been fine for about a week and now suddenly, when I power it down from XP (Start/Turn Off Computer/Turn Off) it will shut down and then immediately restart again ! This has worked fine for a week, it used to shut down and then power off the machine. Now, for some strange reason, its decided that it when I said "Shut Down", I really meant "Restart" and it just bounces and comes up again - very annoying! Is this controllable in XP or maybe BIOS somewhere that I've accidentally set?

All I've done recently is install a network card and hook that to another NT 4 box. Could this be tricking it somehow into restarting? Does traffic on the LAN force a reboot rather than shutdown?"

<b>Style is when you lean against a lamppost and it looks as though you're doing it a favour</b>

More about : shutdown

Anonymous
December 11, 2001 8:48:47 AM

Interesting update: I've just done a clean re-install of XP (don't ask) and now it shuts down fine. Here goes the sequential "add stuff back in one by one and figure out what broke it" trick !
Anonymous
December 11, 2001 11:37:44 AM

Maybe XP has a resume on lan option that was enabled and as you installed XP before you put your lan card in it may have been switched on. Stick in you LAN card a way hay - wake on lan has a use.

Dunno just a thought.

<font color=purple><b>Techie2001</font color=purple></b>
<i>(Forum Techie)</i>
If it ain't broke, Don't fix it.
Related resources
Anonymous
December 12, 2001 7:15:42 AM

Interesting thought techie. I haven't seen anything like that. Of course, now I've reinstalled everything back to the way it was before and it's still working fine. I tried unplugging the LAN cable from the card, but that didn't work, it still bounced.

There's some interesting Power Options in Control Panel, but nothing specific to LAN card. Maybe a setting here got broken somewhere along the way.
Anonymous
December 13, 2001 7:38:31 PM

Yeah, I recently installed XP and I got the same exact issues. I did a clean install and at the shutdown screen, it says "Windows Shutting Down" and after a few seconds, it goes back to restarting. I have no idea why this is and I've never had it working properly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
December 13, 2001 10:20:51 PM

not sure, but I think wake-up-on-LAN is something only the BIOS can do. I would look there.
Anonymous
December 14, 2001 3:26:45 PM

Wake on lan is activated/deactivated through the BIOS. So disable power management and thats it gone. Also disable all power management through windows and see if that helps.

<font color=purple><b>Techie2001</font color=purple></b>
<i>(Forum Techie)</i>
If it aint broke,Dont fix it. :wink:
December 15, 2001 9:53:50 AM

unless the lan card suppots Wake on lan, and you plugged the WOL cable from the lan card to the motherboard, then I souldnt have thought that that is the problem. Also, depending on the bios, disabling PM may or may not dissable WOL, I shouldnt think this is the problam in your case, you cant wake from OFF, you can wake from standy/sleep etc

Next time you wave - use all your fingers<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by CALV on 12/15/01 06:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
December 18, 2001 12:51:29 AM

If you have Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.0 and have not installed the patches or updates, that can do it. Mine did that until I installed the updates.... Very Important!
December 21, 2001 11:58:53 AM

some mobos (for instance my asus cusl2-c) will do this if Fast-Sutdowns is enabled

Lagger

<b><font color=blue>Computers run on smoke, I let the smoke out of mine and it quit working </b> </font color=blue>
!