Thanks a lot, PSP owners, for higher prices.

Thanks to the success of the PSP launch, we can now expect to pay $50 for
portable games. Great.
And next gen, we'll be looking at $60 home console games, maybe more...

Come on! Competition is supposed to be GOOD for the consumer--look at how
game prices have fallen since there's been 3 consoles instead of 2. But
Sony, the arrogant bastards, think they can storm the market and RAISE
prices. And so far, they're right.

Personally, I refuse to pay that much. I never buy Game Boy games priced
above $30 (there are a lot of $35 ones, but sooner or later someone puts
them on sale), and I won't buy a PSP until I see games at that price. Which
won't happen until people stop proving Sony right about how stupid we all
are. $50 portable games and $30 low-quality movies, and they're selling
out. I only hope it doesn't last.

Give 'em a few months of lousy sales, and we can all get PSP games for $30
each by Christmas.

"Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Thanks to the success of the PSP launch, we can now expect to pay $50 for
> portable games. Great.
> And next gen, we'll be looking at $60 home console games, maybe more...

If a PSP game can offer nearly the same graphics as a PS2 game and the same
length of playing time, why is $49 unreasonable? And perhaps you are
forgetting about the days of the $69 SNES games. I remember my wife wanting
to buy the Star Trek: Next Gen SNES game for me when it sold for that price.
Wasn't Virtua Racing for Genesis close to $80 or more? And the first few
original PlayStation games were in the $50-$60 range before prices settled
down to $49. So, the PSP has nothing to do with $60 console games.

> Come on! Competition is supposed to be GOOD for the consumer--look at how
> game prices have fallen since there's been 3 consoles instead of 2. But
> Sony, the arrogant bastards, think they can storm the market and RAISE
> prices. And so far, they're right.

I don't think game prices haven't fallen since there have been 3 consoles
instead of 2. When there was just Atari vs. Intellivision, games were in
the $40-$50 range. When there was just SNES vs. Genesis, the prices for
cartridges were in the $40-$60 range. When there was just PlayStation vs.
Saturn, the prices were in the $40-$50 range. When there was just
PlayStation and N64, the prices were in the $40-$60 range. Prices of both
consoles and games have been pretty steady over time. Only with Sony's
"Greatest Hits" pricing did we see $19 games, but that was started by Sony
back when it was still a 2 console race.

I don't think there is much of a difference in price between a $35 Nintendo
DS cartridge and a $39 Sony PSP disk. Third parties such as EA, not Sony,
are charging $49 for PSP disks. If we don't buy them, perhaps they will
rethink their pricing.

> Personally, I refuse to pay that much. I never buy Game Boy games priced
> above $30 (there are a lot of $35 ones, but sooner or later someone puts
> them on sale), and I won't buy a PSP until I see games at that price.
Which
> won't happen until people stop proving Sony right about how stupid we all
> are. $50 portable games and $30 low-quality movies, and they're selling
> out. I only hope it doesn't last.

Well, the only UMD movie out is Spider-man 2 and it isn't sold separately,
so we'll see if the rest of the UMD movies are actually priced at $30
instead of $20 when they are released next month. I think you'll see
sub-$30 PSP games after a year or so, depending upon how well the system
sells and if they can reduce the UMD manufacturing costs. Why wouldn't Sony
have a PSP "Greatest Hits" line as they have with all their consoles? Just
because Nintendo never did that with their portables (when they had no
competition) doesn't mean Sony won't. And no--I don't count the "Classic
Series" rehashes of old NES games for $19-$29 to be a Greatest Hits line. I
mean seeing Advance Wars or Super Mario Advance for $19 after they had been
out for a year.

> Give 'em a few months of lousy sales, and we can all get PSP games for $30
> each by Christmas.

Some PSP titles will likely be $30 by Christmas, but it won't be due to
lousy sales...it will be due to more titles on the market and the older ones
being marked down before being discontinued.

Everything comes down in price eventually. I bought tons of old Atari 2600
cartridges for 50 cents-$2 a piece, when they would have cost me more than
$40 new. Only problem is, I had to wait almost a decade to find them for
that price in flea markets and thrift stores, and by then I no longer cared
much about playing the games.

"Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Thanks to the success of the PSP launch, we can now expect to pay $50 for
> portable games. Great.
> And next gen, we'll be looking at $60 home console games, maybe more...
>
> Come on! Competition is supposed to be GOOD for the consumer--look at how
> game prices have fallen since there's been 3 consoles instead of 2. But
> Sony, the arrogant bastards, think they can storm the market and RAISE
> prices. And so far, they're right.
>
> Personally, I refuse to pay that much. I never buy Game Boy games priced
> above $30 (there are a lot of $35 ones, but sooner or later someone puts
> them on sale), and I won't buy a PSP until I see games at that price.
> Which
> won't happen until people stop proving Sony right about how stupid we all
> are. $50 portable games and $30 low-quality movies, and they're selling
> out. I only hope it doesn't last.
>
> Give 'em a few months of lousy sales, and we can all get PSP games for $30
> each by Christmas.

Prices for games eventually might have to rise. Development cost increases
and the popularity of gaming alone . Gamers expect top notch visuals, good
story line and hundreds of hours of gaming. This comes at a price.

But of course we can alway wait for the sales and after a few months when
the hype dies down to get the titles. But theres always gonna be that
hardcore crowd wanting the latest and greatest asap. And the number of
hardcore is growing.

Of course this is just my opinion. Just things these days seem to be alot
more expensive. Lucky for me I gave up the drugs and booze. Now I got some
extra cash, hehe.

that's why I didn't buy a PSP. Too damn expensive for a handheld that I'll
probably end up playing at home anyway.

I'd rather pick up a couple good console games.

"Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Thanks to the success of the PSP launch, we can now expect to pay $50 for
> portable games. Great.
> And next gen, we'll be looking at $60 home console games, maybe more...
>
> Come on! Competition is supposed to be GOOD for the consumer--look at how
> game prices have fallen since there's been 3 consoles instead of 2. But
> Sony, the arrogant bastards, think they can storm the market and RAISE
> prices. And so far, they're right.
>
> Personally, I refuse to pay that much. I never buy Game Boy games priced
> above $30 (there are a lot of $35 ones, but sooner or later someone puts
> them on sale), and I won't buy a PSP until I see games at that price.
> Which
> won't happen until people stop proving Sony right about how stupid we all
> are. $50 portable games and $30 low-quality movies, and they're selling
> out. I only hope it doesn't last.
>
> Give 'em a few months of lousy sales, and we can all get PSP games for $30
> each by Christmas.

"Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message

</snip blah, blah, blah, wah, wah, wah>

Spoken like a true jealous Nintendo zealot

I think its less about actual price and more about how many good games
come out now. I remember when I was young (oh boy here we go!) and I
would save up my allowence and mow lawns, etc. until I had enough money
to purchase a game (Rygar comes to mind). Then when I bought the game
(yes for around $50) it was an investment and I played it until the
end. One game would keep me busy for months. Now it seams like I buy 1
to 3 new games every month. The thing is, they're great games and
before I have time to finish one there's another one that comes out
that I really want. Its an expensive game of leap frog to play. Maybe
this explains all the complaining about price. Who knows...

"Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Which won't happen until people stop proving Sony right about how stupid
we
> all are. $50 portable games and $30 low-quality movies, and they're
selling
> out. I only hope it doesn't last.

Sony knows it has a ready base of slavering, drooling fanboys eager to plunk
down whatever money they can squeeze out for the latest geektoy. They're not
stupid--they're going to exploit that to hell and back.

In other words, it's business as usual in the video game industry.

--
This post brought to you by Dammitol.
Dammitol: We can't get rid of the stress,

"The Eternal Lost Lurker" <shirikage@shirigakure.ne.butt> wrote in message

> "Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Which won't happen until people stop proving Sony right about how stupid
> we
>> all are. $50 portable games and $30 low-quality movies, and they're
> selling
>> out. I only hope it doesn't last.
>
> Sony knows it has a ready base of slavering, drooling fanboys eager to
> plunk
> down whatever money they can squeeze out for the latest geektoy. They're
> not
> stupid--they're going to exploit that to hell and back.
>
> In other words, it's business as usual in the video game industry.

Where Nintendo pioneered the way with $70 dollar cartridge games back in a
day

> Thanks to the success of the PSP launch, we can now expect to pay $50 for
> portable games. Great.
> And next gen, we'll be looking at $60 home console games, maybe more...
>
> Come on! Competition is supposed to be GOOD for the consumer--look at how
> game prices have fallen since there's been 3 consoles instead of 2. But
> Sony, the arrogant bastards, think they can storm the market and RAISE
> prices. And so far, they're right.
>
> Personally, I refuse to pay that much. I never buy Game Boy games priced
> above $30 (there are a lot of $35 ones, but sooner or later someone puts
> them on sale), and I won't buy a PSP until I see games at that price.
> Which
> won't happen until people stop proving Sony right about how stupid we all
> are. $50 portable games and $30 low-quality movies, and they're selling
> out. I only hope it doesn't last.
>
> Give 'em a few months of lousy sales, and we can all get PSP games for $30
> each by Christmas.

Well, paying a decent amount for a game will at least ensure that great new
games will be developped. Look at the high quality games which are available
with the PSP. That will only be done when there are decent profit margins.
With the PSP Sony gives as the machine with a loss and hopes we will all buy
games. If we would not do so, we will end up without having decent titles
and we will only be playing another Tetris clone (nothing personal against
Tetris with its addictive gameplay).

For the movies however, I strongly disagree with the pricing Strategy of
Sony. Why would I pay the DVD price of a movie, to be able to solely watch
it on a PSP with its small screen. I will not buy any movie for the PSP, I
will buy a large memory stick for the DVD's I'll convert.... ;-)
Maybe a marketing tip for Sony, give the PSP movie for free with the DVD.
The price of a disk will be probably something like 20 cents or so. The
movie is already paid for.... If I would buy a DVD the PSP movie would make
me buy a Sony DVD.

BTW, something else, I would prefer to buy music DVD/UMD. If Sony is reading
this, launch some music UMD's :D.

Michel
--
I talk Playstation Portable @ www.PSPtalk.net

"Boody Bandit" <lightenup@francis.news> wrote in message

> > Sony knows it has a ready base of slavering, drooling fanboys eager to
> > plunk
> > down whatever money they can squeeze out for the latest geektoy. They're
> > not
> > stupid--they're going to exploit that to hell and back.
> >
> > In other words, it's business as usual in the video game industry.
>
> Where Nintendo pioneered the way with $70 dollar cartridge games back in a
> day

Again, business as usual in the video game industry.

What, you thought I was only talking about Sony? :p

--
This post brought to you by Dammitol.
Dammitol: We can't get rid of the stress,
but we can help with the headache.
==============================
The Eternal Lost Lurker
(Don't get me started on the Neo-Geo...)

> "Boody Bandit" <lightenup@francis.news> wrote in message
>>
>> > Sony knows it has a ready base of slavering, drooling fanboys eager to
>> > plunk
>> > down whatever money they can squeeze out for the latest geektoy.
>> > They're
>> > not
>> > stupid--they're going to exploit that to hell and back.
>> >
>> > In other words, it's business as usual in the video game industry.
>>
>> Where Nintendo pioneered the way with $70 dollar cartridge games back in
>> day
>
> Again, business as usual in the video game industry.
>
> What, you thought I was only talking about Sony? :p

No, not at all.
I am just suprised people are bitching about PSP game prices.
Games are actually cheaper now then they use to be.

> > Again, business as usual in the video game industry.
> >
> > What, you thought I was only talking about Sony? :p
>
> No, not at all.
> I am just suprised people are bitching about PSP game prices.
> Games are actually cheaper now then they use to be.

Heh. Well, they're used to Gameboy games being under $40, so it's kinda easy
to see where it's coming from.

Frankly, I care less about the price of a game than about whether it's worth
it. There are games I'd gladly pay MORE for than I did (Katamari Damacy),
and games I wish I'd waited and bought used on eBay (Star Ocean 3). Usually,
though, I don't commit to a game purchase until I'm 100% sure I'm not going
to want to shoot myself for buying it.

--

Arcane Hayter <arcane.hayter@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think its less about actual price and more about how many good games
> come out now. I remember when I was young (oh boy here we go!) and I
> would save up my allowence and mow lawns, etc. until I had enough money
> to purchase a game (Rygar comes to mind). Then when I bought the game
> (yes for around $50) it was an investment and I played it until the
> end. One game would keep me busy for months. Now it seams like I buy 1
> to 3 new games every month. The thing is, they're great games and
> before I have time to finish one there's another one that comes out
> that I really want. Its an expensive game of leap frog to play. Maybe
> this explains all the complaining about price. Who knows...

Ah, yes, I remember those days. And I remember doing the leapfrog thing
you describe. Too many games, too little time.

One way I've found useful in dealing with that problem is to severely
limit the number of games that I buy. If I go through my library, I'm
sure I'd find an embearassingly huge number of games that I haven't
finished - and probably a selection of games I haven't even played. I'm
also pretty sure that I'm not the only one in this situation ;) Don't
worry, your secret's safe with me.

Anyways, I've since stopped buying games when they first come out. I
refuse to pay $50, $40, even $30 for a game anymore. Yeah, a title may be
worth that much, but you know it's going to drop in price, or it'll go on
sale, become a Best Hit title, or even turn up cheap on Ebay. So, why pay
the premium?

Ok, sure, you'll get the game *NOW* - and I can certainly understand
that. But in the grand scheme of things, does it really make a big deal
if you play the game *NOW* or 3 to 6 months later? After a few months,
it's not even a problem anymore because more and more titles will fall
into the budget range, even as newer "gotta get it" titles appear at full
price.

It's actually helped me get back into gaming since now I don't have to
spend as much time going shopping and can concentrate on actually
*playing* the games for a change.

"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

> If a PSP game can offer nearly the same graphics as a PS2 game and the
same
> length of playing time, why is $49 unreasonable? And perhaps you are
> forgetting about the days of the $69 SNES games.

I'm not forgetting--I'm fearing a return! I still have receipts for my SNES
and N64 games. I paid over $100 for Secret of Mana (couldn't find it
anywhere but Service Merchandise). Thanks to the switch in media type (CDs
cost fractions of a cent to manufacture, carts were $20+), and competition,
$50 became the standard price for home games, and also removed the risk in
this business for publishers. Now they want to raise the price, and there
is NOT a valid reason other than they think they can get away with it.

> I don't think game prices haven't fallen since there have been 3 consoles
> instead of 2. When there was just Atari vs. Intellivision, games were in
> the $40-$50 range. When there was just SNES vs. Genesis, the prices for
> cartridges were in the $40-$60 range. When there was just PlayStation vs.
> Saturn, the prices were in the $40-$50 range. When there was just
> PlayStation and N64, the prices were in the $40-$60 range.

You need to check your facts--I just did. I have my original receipts for
my PS games. Playstation games were 59.99 until a little AFTER the N64
launched. Competition drove them down to $50, because they knew Nintendo
couldn't match that. SNES and Genesis games were often 69.99.

Prices of both
> consoles and games have been pretty steady over time. Only with Sony's
> "Greatest Hits" pricing did we see $19 games, but that was started by Sony
> back when it was still a 2 console race.

But this generation, we've seen games LAUNCH at $40, $30, and even $20. I'm
not talking about Greatest Hits--even though that was another tactic by Sony
that they knew the N64 couldn't do--again, competition is good for us.

> I don't think there is much of a difference in price between a $35
Nintendo
> DS cartridge and a $39 Sony PSP disk. Third parties such as EA, not Sony,
> are charging $49 for PSP disks. If we don't buy them, perhaps they will
> rethink their pricing.

That's what I'm saying! Don't buy, or we'll be paying higher prices
permanently! And you say there's not much difference between $35 for a DS
game and $39 for a PSP disc, but $35 is the high end of the pricing for DS,
and $39 is the low end for PSP--and the PSP uses far cheaper media!
UMD discs cost pennies, believe me, whereas DS media costs dollars. If Sony
weren't so arrogant, they'd be pulling the same trick on Nintendo as they
did back in the N64/PS1 days out price their games LOWER. But now they're
market leader and looking for another Playstation-like money machine.

> Well, the only UMD movie out is Spider-man 2 and it isn't sold separately,
> so we'll see if the rest of the UMD movies are actually priced at $30
> instead of $20 when they are released next month.

UMD movies should come with DVDs in the box--both formats for one price.
Then $20-$30 would be worth it, and the extra DVD disc would only cost Sony
(or whomever) a few cents.

I think you'll see
> sub-$30 PSP games after a year or so, depending upon how well the system
> sells and if they can reduce the UMD manufacturing costs. Why wouldn't
Sony
> have a PSP "Greatest Hits" line as they have with all their consoles?
Just
> because Nintendo never did that with their portables (when they had no
> competition) doesn't mean Sony won't. And no--I don't count the "Classic
> Series" rehashes of old NES games for $19-$29 to be a Greatest Hits line.
> mean seeing Advance Wars or Super Mario Advance for $19 after they had
been
> out for a year.

I'm not talking about Greatest Hits lines. I'm talking about initial
prices. I don't buy Greatest Hits/Player Choice/Platinum games because I
don't wait that long, and I don't want budget-marked packaging. I'm more
than willing to cough up full price for games. I have nearly 200
current-gen games (counting GBA) and not a single Greatest Hit game in the
bunch.
But I DO object to them raising that price. And if they get away with it,
remember that Greatest Hits games' pricing will probably rise, too. $60 for
a new game will probably mean $30 for a GH game.

http://users.ign.com/collection/leondexter

> "Boody Bandit" <lightenup@francis.news> wrote in message
>>
>> "Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>> </snip blah, blah, blah, wah, wah, wah>
>>
>> Spoken like a true jealous Nintendo zealot
>
> http://users.ign.com/collection/leondexter

er um ok
and this means what exactly?
I hate Microsoft but I have 3 XBox systems in my home.
I prefer Chevy but I drive a Dodge (truck).
Just because you own something doesn't mean you're not biased towards other
products or companies.
Sorry dude but you are without question a total fanboy of Nintendo.

"Boody Bandit" <lightenup@francis.news> wrote in message
news:GMWdnV_bi8r_ItjfRVn-> er um ok
> and this means what exactly?
> I hate Microsoft but I have 3 XBox systems in my home.
> I prefer Chevy but I drive a Dodge (truck).
> Just because you own something doesn't mean you're not biased towards
other
> products or companies.
> Sorry dude but you are without question a total fanboy of Nintendo.

I'm a fan, there's a difference. Look through these newsgroups, and you'll
find me saying a lot of nice things about Nintendo. You'll also find me
bitching about them quite a lot. They make great games, and they've been a
prime player and deserve a lot of praise for their part in the industry over
the years. They're also a stubborn, stupid, and secretive company that
makes a lot of bad decisions and mistakes. Their games have held the
advantage in that balance for a long time, but it's less every year.
Now, having said that, cram your 'fanboy' statement wherever you like.
Print it first, though; monitors are heavy.

Leon Dexter wrote:
> Thanks to the success of the PSP launch, we can now expect to pay $50
for
> portable games. Great.
> And next gen, we'll be looking at $60 home console games, maybe
more...

> Come on! Competition is supposed to be GOOD for the consumer--look
at how
> game prices have fallen since there's been 3 consoles instead of 2.
But
> Sony, the arrogant bastards, think they can storm the market and
RAISE
> prices. And so far, they're right.

In fairness, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was only the
EA published titles that were going for $50. All the other titles
seemed to be $40.

Boody Bandit <lightenup@francis.news> wrote:

> Nope.
> That is the single biggest reason I gave up playing PC games.
> I was spening upwards of 3k a year on upgrades.

Egads, the PC hardware folks must have been sending you Christmas cards
for helping them make their sales quotas...

My last machine cost me about $1300 and was built in 2002 or so. The only
thing I've changed was the motherboard which died last year ($35 for a
slightly better model.) It's still capable of running just about any game
on the market - including Doom3 and HalfLife2, though with most of the
bells&whistles turned off.

Doom3 and HL2 are the first games in years that would mandate an upgrade.
Even then, all I really need is a new video card ($200) though I'm putting
that off until I get a new system - another $1000 or so for something
about 2-4x as powerful.

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

> In fairness, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was only the
> EA published titles that were going for $50. All the other titles
> seemed to be $40.

No, Activision also, and Koei. Those are the ones I know of, out of the few
publishers who have games out at all yet. Most of them are published by
Sony, who doesn't have to pay a license fee.

Pre-orders for upcoming games at ebgames.com are $50 for Eidos, Rockstar,
Konami, and even some Sony games.

But even $40 is too much when the games are on cheaper media than GBA and DS
games. Even if you assume higher development costs, that's offset by the
cheaper media. $30 is more than fair, $35 would be okay. I won't pay $35
for GBA or DS games, so I'm sure not paying $50 or even $40 for PSP games.