I need help! Ram not working

Wallywaiting

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
I have the G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 32GB cas 9 model of ram and it doesn't seem to be working. I actually thought it was the ram slots on the mobo so I sent that back and got a new one. After testing the new mobo with the ram, I am having more problems than ever... The reason I thought it was ram slots was because when I tried the same ram piece that didn't work in one place in another it worked, so I figured it must have been the slot not the ram itself (only one of the ram slots seemed to be faulty).... Now I have the new mobo and only 2 of ram slots seem to working, the one that wasn't working last time is now working but only ram slots 2 and 3 are now working... I have the asus 98z77-V pro and a i7 3770k. Could it be the CPU that's bad not the mobo or is it the ram? Those two ram pieces don't work in any ram slots now.... What could it be?

Thank you!

fozzybeat

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2012
also check the QVL for this board if the Ram is listed. i dont know this board but on my ASUS board i have a mem-ok Switch, any beeps? or leds on the board ?

bryanl

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
When there are no obvious signs of failure, suspect the lowest quality components first, the highest quality components last. The CPU tends to be the highest quality component and has been tested far more extensively than anything else in the computer, while the RAM is typically among the worst quality components, especially when covered with bling (heat spreaders). It's not unusual for low quality RAM to work in some slots but not others, due to slight variations in timing and the RAM barely meeting the timing requirements.

Wallywaiting

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
The ram is listed as compatible for the mobo, and no I am sure of my motherboard model. I have decided to send the two no functioning sticks back to g skill and ask for a replacement. What does the mem ok button do? Ido have one and when I use the two good sticks of ram the memory led doesn't light up, but when I put in the 3rd or 4th one, it stays on and the monitor won't power up.

jemm

Distinguished
MemOK! quickly ensures memory boot compatibility. This remarkable memory rescue tool requires a mere push of a button to patch memory issues. MemOK! determines failsafe settings and dramatically improves your system boot success. Get your system up and running in no time! http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Features/MemOK/