karash5050

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Hello,
I have recently been experiencing random system shutdowns when I play Battlefield 3. I have everything set to ultra, resolution of 1920x1200, with AA off and AF at 4x. This is the only game where I experience this problem and it happens at random intervals: anywhere from 1 minute to several hours.

My system is as follows:
PSU is a Seventeam ST-850ZA 80+ (2 years old, was in storage for 1 year)
EVGA X58 E758-A1
Core i7 920 D0 at 2.8Ghz (Was formerly 3.5 but I thought it was overheating so I lowered it, still have problems. CPU cooled by Corsair H50)
12GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 (at 1600Mhz)
2x MSI GTX560 Ti Hawk
Asus Xonar D2
3x SATA HDD
1x DVDRW
I have 7 120mm fans and 2 cold cathode tubes (currently unplugged so they are not drawing any power).

I took a look at my PSU and saw several capacitors may be leaking: that white calcium-like material...I bet that's my problem. In any case, I brought my system down to just above stock speeds (2.67 stock) and reboots still happen.

I am considering purchasing a Corsair AX1200 in hopes that this will solve my problem. Does anyone with experience in these matters have a thought? Please help!

-Jaime

JKatwyopc

Distinguished

If you have stuff leaking out of the capacitors in your PSU then you should get that PSU out of your system immediately and get a new one installed. That's most likely what's causing your problems. Personally, I would shut off the Computer and not use it at all until the new PSU is installed. That PSU could blow at any time and it might take ohter components with it.

BTW, an 850W should be adequate. You're just wasting energy with a 1200W on that system. This one would do a good job for a lot less money: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139022

karash5050

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I looked again and its actually a silicon. First time I just glanced at it without removing it from the case. Also, upon further research it seems that there are dozens of folks with the same problem, and only with BF3. Apparently disabling any integrated audio hardware solved it for some. Given that I have a discrete card, I'll try it..

Perhaps DICE/EA should get their act together :)

So, an 850W should be able to support everything, including the overclock and CCTs, etc?

Thanks for the info! I appreciate ya :)