Faulty motherboard?

scubaslim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I'm building a new computer for a relative for Christmas. Everything is connected properly, but when I power it on, everything turns on, but it doesn't post or boot. I've swapped the PSU, RAM, unhooked optical drives, unhooked HDD and put in Linux disk. I assume the only thing left is the motherboard, right? I could really use the help ASAP since I need this done this weekend. Thanks!

Solution
The best way in my opinion would be to have them tested at a local shop. Or, if you have a spare board that supports the CPU... This way you'll know if it's a board or a CPU issue.
And yes, you'll need thermal paste for reinstalling the CPU (you have to clean the old one and reapply).

sm620

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I think it's the motherboard but I am new to this stuff. When you say everything turns on do you mean the optical drives? Your PSU sounds functional if the optical drives turn on. There should be a beeping if you ram isn't installed correctly. You should hear beeping if it's something other than your PSU or Motherboard. I think your PSU is good so that leaves the motherboard. Before I say it's you motherboard I need to know if you Motherboard has a buzzer on it because apparently they don't all come with them. If you do have a buzzer I think it's your motherboard.

scubaslim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010

yes, i've used different memory in different slots... i really don't think its the ram

scubaslim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010

yes, the optical drives lit up, along with all fans. from what i've read, the motherboard (biostar G41D3) is supposed to beep.

i'm 99% sure the power button is hooked up correctly.

scubaslim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6300
PSU - Logisys 480 watt (also tried PSU from old HP)
Onboard graphics card
Memory - Crucial 2GB DDR3 1066 (also tried PNY Optima 4GB)
Motherboard - Biostar G41D3

sm620

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

I think you would hear beeping if it was the CPU. I'm not sure what BIOS you have but you can look up the beep messages and everything that it beeps for you can eliminate.

scubaslim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010

no, but there is this little wire with what COULD be small speaker that plugs into the front panel connector

Can you post a picture with the board so that the speaker, 24 and 4 pin power connections can be seen?
If starting the board with only CPU and CPU fan installed are you getting any beep? Is the CPU fan spinning?
I suggest testing the board outside the case, on the board's box.

scubaslim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010

Still no beep with only the CPU and CPU fan installed. Yes, the fan is spinning. What is the purpose of testing outside the case? I haven't done that, but I did read it somewhere else, as well.

scubaslim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010

OKay, so I tried it outside the case. Still no post. Unfortunately, I don't have any thermal paste so I'm guessing reinstalling the CPU wouldn't be the best idea until I get some, right?

The board and CPU are both used. The mobo was "like-new" from Amazon Warehouse and the CPU was supposedly tested as working on a eBay from a power seller.

The best way in my opinion would be to have them tested at a local shop. Or, if you have a spare board that supports the CPU... This way you'll know if it's a board or a CPU issue.
And yes, you'll need thermal paste for reinstalling the CPU (you have to clean the old one and reapply).

Solution

scubaslim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Going to a local shop would defeat the purpose of this super budget build.... Amazon is paying for my return shipping. I ordered a new mobo. I explained the the seller my situation and he said I could return the CPU if it turns out to be the problem... so it should all work out.. with the exception of having it done on time =/