Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Newegg sent the wrong item?

Last response: in Systems
November 16, 2011 4:55:05 AM

I got my parts for my first build today! yay!
(I probably wont' have time till the weekend to actually start building though)

Everything ordered came, exactly the same I ordered except... the case.

I ordered an Antec three hundred case for $57, but the case that arrived was a Thermaltake Element G, $145.

The packing label thingy has my address correct, and says "Description: Antec three hundred"

Has this ever happened to you? And what exactly should I do?

I'm thinking there's two possibilities:

1. Newegg just accidentally screwed up and just sent the wrong case

2. Someone ELSE ordered a Thermaltake Element G, and they were mixed up (he/she is probably a lot angrier about this than I am, as the element g is like 100 dollars more expensive)

this is my first time getting stuff from Newegg so not quite sure what to do and what the likely cause of the problem is.

Will newegg ask for the case back? I hope they don't as it will be too much trouble to return it. And I get to keep this awesome expensive case. But I'm wondering will Newegg have the right to demand the element G back? I don't want to start building inside it only to learn that, due to some legal thing, I have to return it...

Thanks,

theredstorm

More about : newegg wrong item

November 16, 2011 5:16:20 AM

Wow dude lol. Consider it a gift. The Thermaltake G looks and probably made so much better than the antec three hundred. ONly thing though is if you plan on RMA'ing the case under warranty in the future, thats not gonna happen. But really, who ever vouches for the warranties on the cases?
Score
November 16, 2011 6:08:51 AM

I suggest you keep silent :D 
Score
Related resources
November 16, 2011 6:35:10 AM

I would contact them and ask them. Shipping cases is expensive, they might just say keep it. They might ask you to return it. They should do this on their dime of course. Don't be dishonest with newegg please. Assuming the other guy wants his real case, they will probably go looking for it. Besides, lets help them keep their prices low.
Score
November 16, 2011 7:09:55 AM

Well it's newegg's fault not yours. You shouldn't have to delay building your new PC because they sent you the wrong case. Besides, I doubt newegg would want to pay for shipping both ways for another case. It's a win-win for you and newegg, and you don't even know for sure if it was someone else's. Just play dumb and keep silent lol.
Score
November 16, 2011 10:34:07 AM

Okay, for one, if Newegg catches on they can legally go after you to either get the case back, or charge you accordingly. Second, honesty is ALWAYS the best policy. It may have been their mistake, but there is no reason to say "their loss". It may seem like a good opportunity, but in a way it is also stealing.
Score
November 17, 2011 12:01:50 AM

phyco126 said:
Okay, for one, if Newegg catches on they can legally go after you to either get the case back, or charge you accordingly. Second, honesty is ALWAYS the best policy. It may have been their mistake, but there is no reason to say "their loss". It may seem like a good opportunity, but in a way it is also stealing.

Will newegg do that?

I hope they don't, as returning a case will be a hassle.

I also don't want to start building in this case and learn that newegg wants this one back...

also, has something like this happened to any of you and if so what did newegg end up doing?

Score
November 17, 2011 12:05:33 AM

No, just keep the case. Newegg is not in charge of shipping as they hire somebody else. So it would be the deliverer's fault.( Don't They?)

Use it don't worry. It's a gift. You won't get caught. Newegg makes tons of proft for us consumers that it won't even notice it.
Score
November 17, 2011 12:36:14 AM

Newegg is in charge of shipping. They ship from their own warehouses. He already said it has his name and address on the outside of the box. It's called a mispick. His sticker should have gone on a different box.

Quote:
Newegg makes tons of proft for us consumers that it won't even notice it.

Behold the power of human greed. The (sub)human brain will rationalize anything after all I guess. I guess for most around this forum they would have no problem stealing or doing anything illegal based off the replies so far. To the OP, I haven't nor have I heard of anything like this happening to someone. No matter what I hope it works out for you in the end.
Score
November 17, 2011 1:48:13 AM

Personally, I'd call them and let them know of their error before they called you. Having dealt with Newegg customer support on a number of occasions, I know they will deal straight with you.

If you're a regular customer, they'll probably give you a break. About a year ago, I ordered a hard drive from them. Less than 12 hours later, I received an E-Mail special with the hard drive I had just ordered on sale for 10% off. I contacted them; letting them know and they gave me the discount; no muss, no fuss.

While I doubt they'd let you keep the case, I wouldn't put it past them and even if they don't, I certainly wouldn't expect them to make you pay for the shipping cost of returning it. It's about a $90 price difference between the two cases. Given the cost of shipping it back plus the cost (if any) of shipping you your correct case, they may let you keep it.

Personally, I'd contact them and honestly explain the situation. I'd give you about a 10% chance at keeping the case, but a 100% chance of having a clear conscious. If they do have you send it back (at their cost), you might ask if they could Next Day deliver the Antec 300 (at their cost), so you can still do your build this weekend.

-Wolf sends
Score
November 17, 2011 6:53:08 AM

I agree with Wolf. My conscious would be all over the place. I also believe in karma somewhat. ;) 
Score
November 17, 2011 7:11:22 AM

From a customer service perspective I believe if you follow wolfshadw's advice, and request them next daying the case you originally ordered, you will come out alright...Plus, letting them know really is the right thing to do imo...gl regardless.
Score
November 17, 2011 7:58:11 AM

Nice to know I was wrong. That there are at least some people out there who (at least say they) would do the right thing.
Score
November 17, 2011 7:12:01 PM

TheRedStorm said:
Will newegg do that?

I also don't want to start building in this case and learn that newegg wants this one back...

also, has something like this happened to any of you and if so what did newegg end up doing?

It hasn't happened to me. But I have heard of other people getting caught in a legal battle between an online retailer and themselves (and losing) because of the same scenerio. They realize their mistake, want it back, but the other person refuses. The retailer has legal rights here. Did you head about the couple who got millions of dollars deposited into their bank account because of a bank error? Same thing here. And you know what? That couple refused to return the money (they withdrew it) and fled to Mexico. They are wanted fugitives.

Call Newegg and talk to them.
Score

Best solution

November 17, 2011 7:39:30 PM

TheRedStorm said:
Will newegg do that?

No, you are receiving bad information, they can't legally go after you: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/general/gen06.... (check under Unordered Merchandise)

If your order something and receive the wrong item you are legally entitled to keep it as a "gift". What you decide is the moral thing to do is up to you. I've been in the same situation where I received an expensive extra item from newegg in an order. I thought about keeping it but in the end I sent it back with them paying for shipping. I'm glad I did because I didn't really need the item and I felt, and still feel, better about it.

Also, take into account that newegg probably uses a CRM (customer relationship management) system that tracks all interaction with customers. They'll probably enter in this incident under your account. Not saying it might hurt you in the future, but...
November 17, 2011 10:17:40 PM

I wouldn't pay for their mistake. Again, contact them and ask what they want to do. If they want it back, send me a shipping label.
Score
November 18, 2011 12:22:12 AM

TheRedStorm said:
Will newegg ask for the case back? I hope they don't as it will be too much trouble to return it. And I get to keep this awesome expensive case. But I'm wondering will Newegg have the right to demand the element G back? I don't want to start building inside it only to lirearn that, due to some legal thing, I have to return it...
I have no idea if they'll catch their error and they will ask for it back, but this is not "unordered" merchandise. You ordered merchandise, they (presumably in error) sent a wrong thing of a similar kind. That is not what the law was passed to guard against. Newegg would indeed have every legal right to demand back the case (or the price difference) and you don't have have any defense. I don't know whether you have a legal right to demand they pay for return shipping, but you certainly have the moral right and I'd make a big stink if they don't want to issue a prepaid pick-up label...

Personally, I would get it straightened out. $100 isn't enough to have to worry about a visit from local law enforcement or process server and possible, if only temporary, impounding of probably every piece of computer equipment in sight, if it actually gets that far.
Score
November 18, 2011 7:11:29 AM

Honestly, I don't see how anyone telling you to keep it/not say anything can live with themselves... This is wrong and they know it (or should know it). You didn't buy that specific case, so morally (if not legally as I don't know the law when it comes to this) you should say something. Newegg, in my experience, has great customer service and will take care of it, whether it be pay for the return of the item and expedite the right part like someone else suggested or just let you keep it.

Think of it this way. A case costs $X while a clear conscious is priceless. Do the right thing and help Newegg out. They will realize their mistake. And I'm positive this will all look better on yourself for saying something. Remember, Though Newegg is a huge business, they have monetary needs just like you do. How would you feel if you sold someone a cheap part and one of your employees made a mistake (which obviously doesn't happen often) and sends them a much more expensive part? You'd hope that person steps up and says something. It's the right thing to do and they will be appreciative.

Atleast thats my 2 cents. Take it how it is.
Score
November 27, 2011 11:39:58 PM

Best answer selected by TheRedStorm.
Score
November 28, 2011 1:44:59 AM

Does this mean we get an update as to what happened?
Score
January 18, 2012 9:30:17 PM

TheRedStorm said:
I got my parts for my first build today! yay!
(I probably wont' have time till the weekend to actually start building though)

Everything ordered came, exactly the same I ordered except... the case.

I ordered an Antec three hundred case for $57, but the case that arrived was a Thermaltake Element G, $145.

The packing label thingy has my address correct, and says "Description: Antec three hundred"

Has this ever happened to you? And what exactly should I do?

... theredstorm

Funny I came across this thread because the same thing happened to me today. Best Buy delivered a $300 32" flat-screen TV to me instead of a $21 web cam. I immediately called Best Buy and they put me on hold for a long, long time, then said the web cam was no longer available, and could I take the TV back to the store? Sheesh, they don't even know how far I am from a BB. I said that wouldn't be convenient, and they said they'd send me a shipping label in a week or two. I am SO tempted to just keep the TV. But when I get the label, I'll send it back. If I don't get it, it won't go back.
Score
January 18, 2012 9:40:30 PM

So dumb how they're being like that even though you're the one with their merchandise you know? Like keeping you on hold, etc. Stuff like that i'd be like, you want it back?...come over here and pick it up! =.="
Score
January 18, 2012 10:31:00 PM

shell shocke said:
So dumb how they're being like that even though you're the one with their merchandise you know? Like keeping you on hold, etc. Stuff like that i'd be like, you want it back?...come over here and pick it up! =.="

That's exactly what I did! According to the FTC, I'm under no legal obligation to return the merchandise but should notify the seller by certified mail that they have X amount of time to pick it up, and after that, I reserve the right to keep or dispose of it. My certified letter is going out tomorrow. If they want to arrange a 2-hour window when it's convenient for me to be home, that's great - I'll gladly give it back. I'll keep you posted.
Score
January 19, 2012 12:24:32 AM

Ok. :)  -- Hope this doesn't get any messier :lol: 
Score
!