Sign in with
Your question

USB vs PS2?

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
November 16, 2011 5:45:09 AM

Hi. I was told there's a difference in plugging in your keyboard and mouse through the USB port and the PS2 port. Which one is better? Thanks :wahoo: 

More about : usb ps2

a c 136 B Homebuilt system
November 16, 2011 6:17:21 AM

there s a difference . The shape of the connector .

After that its all the same
a b B Homebuilt system
November 16, 2011 6:20:06 AM

Toms did an article about this recently, see if you can find it.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
November 16, 2011 6:24:42 AM

One difference is that some truly ancient systems (with PS2 ports) don't know to 'look' for USB keyboards. On those ancient systems you first need a PS2 keyboard to boot the system and install the OS or work in the BIOS.
November 16, 2011 6:47:29 AM

This day and age, USB. PS/2 ports are being phased out on desktop motherboards very soon the way it looks.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 16, 2011 6:54:18 PM

i saw a video on youtube where a guy was claiming that if you connect your keyboard through a USB port, it will allow a "6 key rollover" while if you connect it through a ps2 port, it has "infinite key rollover". He was using a das mechanical keyboard. I was wondering if that was true for other keyboards as well. Thanks

November 16, 2011 6:57:12 PM

What software do you use that requires more than 6 keys to be pressed at the same time?
November 16, 2011 7:12:15 PM

computernewb said:
i saw a video on youtube where a guy was claiming that if you connect your keyboard through a USB port, it will allow a "6 key rollover"
It's actually 10key rollover on USB.
4 modifier keys (Shift, Alt, Ctrl, Tab, etc.) and 6 non-modifier keys (a,b,c, +,-, 1,2,3 etc.)
November 16, 2011 8:10:10 PM

Not all keyboards are the same and this might be closer to the question I think you're meaning to ask. 'Which keyboard is better?'

I tested my particular keyboard and it's got at least 7 key rollover capability.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
a b B Homebuilt system
November 16, 2011 8:33:46 PM

WR2 said:
What software do you use that requires more than 6 keys to be pressed at the same time?

i like to play games on my computer. I probably wont be pressing more than 6 keys at once but i was just wondering if the claim that guy was making was true. :lol: 
November 16, 2011 8:43:54 PM

It could be that review was for that specific keyboard.
There are some keyboards that won't do even as many as 6.
!