USB vs PS2?

Hi. I was told there's a difference in plugging in your keyboard and mouse through the USB port and the PS2 port. Which one is better? Thanks :wahoo:
10 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. there s a difference . The shape of the connector .

After that its all the same
  2. Toms did an article about this recently, see if you can find it.
  3. One difference is that some truly ancient systems (with PS2 ports) don't know to 'look' for USB keyboards. On those ancient systems you first need a PS2 keyboard to boot the system and install the OS or work in the BIOS.
  4. This day and age, USB. PS/2 ports are being phased out on desktop motherboards very soon the way it looks.
  5. i saw a video on youtube where a guy was claiming that if you connect your keyboard through a USB port, it will allow a "6 key rollover" while if you connect it through a ps2 port, it has "infinite key rollover". He was using a das mechanical keyboard. I was wondering if that was true for other keyboards as well. Thanks
  6. What software do you use that requires more than 6 keys to be pressed at the same time?
  7. computernewb said:
    i saw a video on youtube where a guy was claiming that if you connect your keyboard through a USB port, it will allow a "6 key rollover"
    It's actually 10key rollover on USB.
    4 modifier keys (Shift, Alt, Ctrl, Tab, etc.) and 6 non-modifier keys (a,b,c, +,-, 1,2,3 etc.)
  8. Not all keyboards are the same and this might be closer to the question I think you're meaning to ask. 'Which keyboard is better?'

I tested my particular keyboard and it's got at least 7 key rollover capability.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/1221/nkeyrollover.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  9. WR2 said:
    What software do you use that requires more than 6 keys to be pressed at the same time?

i like to play games on my computer. I probably wont be pressing more than 6 keys at once but i was just wondering if the claim that guy was making was true. :lol:
  10. It could be that review was for that specific keyboard.
    There are some keyboards that won't do even as many as 6.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt PlayStation USB Keyboards Systems