HELP PLEASE SABERTOOTH P67 AND GTX 480 CONSTANT CRASH

resmas

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
hello there.
I have a big problem and i will ask for your help...

My computer is:
CPU : Intel i7 2600k
Cpu cooler : Noctua-nd14
Ram : 8Gb ddr3 1600 Kingston hyperX
Hard Drives : WD Velociraptor 150gb and OCZ Agility 3 60Gb SSD
Board: Asus Sabertooth P67

Drivers Grafic Card : Tested all....since 250.00 until now 280.00

Power Suply : Ultra X3 1000w
Grafic Cards : 2 evga GTX 480

i will explaind what happens.....

All working in my computer perfect except for any application that uses the graphic card.
i have tryed with only 1 gtx, then i tryed with the other gtx...then with both, then with one on the 2nd pci x16 slot...ALL option...ALL drivers....and more then 20 windows fresh installations and nothing can make it work.

DirectX updated
Ram test OK
CPU test OK
Temperatures all OK

I even install all Nvidia drivers and EVGA software to monitor temps and fans....all of this work but at any moment it crashes...minimizing a window...trying to whach a video...any 3d application is a CRASH or frezze

tired of trying i call a friend that have a nvidia 8800Gt and installed it...all running ok perfect....all aplications...zooming, videos, pan, etc.... I even do the Windows Experience index test (every try i make with the GTX 480, computer crashes)(runs perfect with 8800gt)

i have seen many forum and some people say something about HD sound, others about ... windows 7 is having some problem with gtx 480
here is the link
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/314124-15-constant-crashes-help
i have try everything...i still dont know if that update from windows was done....im trying to update all the time so this update shows up....but i dontk know if it happened before or not. and for now it says no updates to do..all up to date!

i have tryed with only one stick of ram, with 2, switched positions...everything...

Can it be the board not controling well the voltage or some...could it be the HD sound thing?i have tested without Nvidia HD sound driver too....damm
Can someone help me??

Best Regars

Isaias Carvalho

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Based on what you have written here I think the problem is either one of two possibilities at this stage. The first suspect is the Motherboard. I assume that you have ensured your PSU is delivering stable voltage. That may also be an issue and needs to be checked out.

resmas

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

hello there thank you for your reply
but why does it work with the 8800GT....i assume my PSU is ok because the 8800 gt works great...how can i test the PSU?

thank you

Isaias Carvalho
resmas

killaman

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Have you got the right drivers installed for that gpu i would suspect that the gpu is faulty as you have installed 8800 gt and it works fine

resmas

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

hello there
yes "Drivers Grafic Card : Tested all....since 250.00 until now 280.00"

really dont know what to do...

resmas

killaman

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Try getting the psu from your friend and install it in your pc if it runs with your gpu then you can find out if your psu is faulty

resmas

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
I will do that with the PSU, i just tested the 2 GTX 480 in a computer shop and they WORK 100%........:D........so the problem is not the GPU's....so im betting it is the Windows 7 instability with 480gtx..... http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/314124-15-constant-crashes-help

but i installed 5 times windows 7 Sp1 and not SP1...i even tryed with Windows 8 (Developer Preview)...constant crash.....

or it is something aboout the Motherboard (but it works perfectly with 8800gt so motherboard should be fine)
or is the Ram (is working great because i have made MEMtest all ok)
or is the Power Supply (i will try another PowerSuply and see, but it should be fine because it works perfect with 8800 gt)

that is so strange....they tested the 2 gtx 480 in a Windows XP and all runs great....amazing

anyone here have a 480gtx running on Windows 7....with sandy bridge processor i7 2600k?

please let me know if you do....

i will try to install windows XP...to test it

Isaias

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
+1 on trying a different PSU, I had a bad PSU once and I would constantly get crashes and thats the one that came with my case. Now that I have a gold certified PSU ive never had a crash with my two graphics cards.

An easy way to check the PSU is to buy a PSU tester from newegg or tigerdirect or whatever local computer shop around you has. Otherwise if you know the make and model of the PSU you can usually find reviews from hardwaresecrets that tests the voltages and max wattage on them along with effiency.

Hopefully this helps.

resmas

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

hello thx for the reply, i have a very good PSU with more then enough power to run 1 GTX 480 (i have 2 but i only use 1,and it still crashes)

its a ULTRA X3 1000w modular PSU +80 efficience...its used so it can have some kind of problem now.

I will try with a diferent PSU or i will test this one...

Tested yesterday windows XP ServicePack 3 and still crashes.

i'm thinking it may be the Miotherboard too i read some post of people having problems with SabertoothP67

cheers

Isaias

L3LLLL1941

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

===========================================

Hi;

Just for fun monitor your memory usage when running a movie or other program that crashes, see if the demand is too high. You have 8GB but it wouldn't hurt to check. Occasionally I have seen memory overload even though your graphics card seems more than capable. You might also try dropping your resolution down a notch temporarily to see if that avoids a crash.

I know it's a no brainer, but just in case I will mention it: I presume that you used the power supply +12VDC adapter to power your graphics card directly instead of through your motherboard.

~ L a n c e

resmas

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

hello and thx for the reply....

here some news from the past few days....

driver 270.61...allways a clean driver sweap, and clean install.....the most stable so far

After a few tweaks in Bios settings, disable CPU C1E, CPU C3 REPORT and CPU C6 REPORT....disable, ram at 1600 (it run at 1333 as failsafe)....

nvidia settings set to Max Performance .... was set to Adaptative.

Timeout Detection and Recovery ..disabled it...TDR set to "0".

SLI enable

DX11 up to date

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 all Microsft Updates done

Video run OK
zoom images Ok
NO RANDOM CRASHES

all runs great except.....some 3d aplications and all games

Artlantis 3.06 runs great
Sketchup 8 runs great
Vray for Sketchup runs great
Vray RT to 3d studio max runs ok (GPU real time render)
Nvidia Garage Designer runs great (GPU real time render)
Nvidia Hair Demo run great (GPU real time render and physics)

now the fail...all same CRASH (Black screen, and no response from computer, that stays ON)

Unigine_Heaven FAIL
nvidia Supersonic Sled FAIL
Crysis 2 FAIL
3d studio max with textures and Fur FAIL
Windows Experience Index FAIL

"I know it's a no brainer, but just in case I will mention it: I presume that you used the power supply +12VDC adapter to power your graphics card directly instead of through your motherboard. "

didnt understand what you asked here.....PSU cables are plugged this was:

1st gtx 480 pluged to -------- 1 x 6pin PCIE cable and 1 x 8pin 1 x 6pin PCIE cable
2nd gtx 480 pluged to -------- 1 x 6pin PCIE cable and 1 x 8pin 1 x 6pin PCIE cable

to motherboard -- 8pin 12v cable and 24pin cable

the PSU is modular so all cables are straight from the PSU to GPU and Mboard

some forums talk about GPU sound drivers issiu so....
i will try one more thing....... Sound drivers and 3D Vision will not be installed in the next CLEAN DRIVER installation....

still dont know what more can i do

the computer runs perfect with 3d aplications like with REAL Time Render, that uses all potencial from GPUs, temps are fine....i will see the monitor record from the Asus Ai suite to check if RAM had some problem, but i allready runned several memory test and all was perfect.

Hope a solution comes

Best regards
resmas

madtech01

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
I currently run my system with a Sabertooth P67 as well.
my system runs fine with everything except for Steam Games, where i get crashes that take my whole system down.
Every other game I run that does not use Steam can run for hours without issue.

have you tried a different power supply like suggested above not just tested your current one.
There is another post in the forums cant link it but he was having a problem with his Sabertooth P67 and it was his power supply was not up to snuff, he had the wattage ratting but could not provide the right amps under load.

resmas

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
hello there, i'm trying to find someone that have a +1000w power suply to test my sistem because i dont want to spend 180€ in a new PSU and find out that the PSU ís ok.

I say this because when running

this software really pushes the PSU to is limits, when rendering in real time, both GPU use 100% load, and almost 500mg ram each Gfx.....so about power consuption and amps it should be more then fine...because sistem really loads a lot of juice....here you can see Vray RT(real Time render)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0VA7Vp-aaw&feature=related

Nvidia Garage Designer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4GJDn2DYpk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEXeTXmCfdE&feature=related

this stuff really push the Gpu and PSU, and in my system it doesnt crash doing this...:)

i even set bios to TORBO and CPU was 4.4ghz heasy, ram at 1600, and GPU at 100% load....computer runned perfct...except....Unigine_Heaven,nvidia Supersonic Sled,Crysis 2,3d studio max with textures and Fur,Windows Experience Index FAIL

:/

you use Sabertooth P67 with what system?

cheers
resmas

madtech01

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011

Yes I have a Sabertooth P67, and I run it with a Single GTX 580.

your problem could be that your power supply when taxed by 2 GTX 480 graphics cards and the CPU at the same time it fails.
Witch you are using all three to their full potential when you run the tests you said were failing.

that souds like the Power supply is either not putting out enough voltage, not putting out enough Amps, or both.
Not all Power Supplies in the 1 Kw and 1 Kw+ range are created equal some do not work as advertised because they are of poor design or they happen to just be defective.

If you could provide the Manufacturer and Model or your power supply we might be able to figure out if witch of the ones your power supply falls into poor design or defective. I am not saying it is one or the other but it sounds to me like it is one of the two. I have had bad power supplies before they do not always fail to work sometimes it takes just the right work load to make them fail.

logoslala

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
i have no idea about your issues,but i think you can try to solve this With exclusion.

you can carry your PC to an local computer store. replacement every parts of your PC....
maybe you can find which hardware is the problem.......except..Tedious

resmas

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

hello, yes i know that :pfff: ...lol.....but i know they will charge about 50€ at least for it...and i dont trust most of computer stores, as they most of the time lie to us....or even more....lol..on some places i have been they understand about computers less then i do. :fou: :fou: ..... :( ...

but as last resort i will have to do that.
The sistem have all to run perfect..... :??:

cheers
resmas

resmas

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

hello mate thx for your answer.....my english is not so good so i might not explain well.

i have a Ultra X3 1000w PSU modular (worked perfect on the older sistem)

my sistem is :
CPU : Intel i7 2600k
Cpu cooler : Noctua-nd14
Ram : 8Gb ddr3 1600 Kingston hyperX
Hard Drives : WD Velociraptor 150gb and OCZ Agility 3 60Gb SSD (main hdrive)
Board: Asus Sabertooth P67
Drivers Grafic Card : Tested all....since 250.00 until now 280.00 better one is 270.61
Power Suply : Ultra X3 1000w
Grafic Cards : 2 evga GTX 480

sistem runs PERFECT on heavy power load (extremely heavy)

Artlantis 3.06 runs great
Sketchup 8 runs great
Vray for Sketchup runs great

CPU , GPU and PSU all at max load.....NO CRASHES

then when i try to run :

Unigine_Heaven FAIL when loading
nvidia Supersonic Sled FAIL after load, 3 or 5 seconds
Crysis 2 FAIL before menu screen
3d studio max with textures and Fur FAIL "only 2 or 3 times, with small file STRANGE
Windows Experience Index FAIL at 20 or 30%

thats why i think is not the PSU.....because in stress tests with heavy load....alll runs perfect.

Hope someone can help :eek: :eek:

cheers

Resmas