Computer will not turn on please help me

Computer was working well in the morning then I turned it off and tried to turn in back on in the evening and what happened is that the power button light lit up for a second and I heard some fans spin for a second then everything shut off. I tried turning it on several times and the problem got worse each time, to the point where no fans spun and no LED lit up on the case. Now, I have replaced the power supply and the problem persists; all I can really hear is what I interpreted as a capacitor discharge, but I also noticed two internal case fans trying to spin. These fans will move about 2mm then return to their original positions. Nothing else happens.

I noticed a light on the motherboard called SB PWR is lit green constantly (no flashing), so I am guessing that is a good thing. Everything is impeccably clean, no dust or anything. I want to think there may have been a false contact with the power button cables or the power button system went bad or something?

I don't have another working mobo of the same model, I cant really run controlled tests to see if it died.

Is it possible to turn on the PC with the reset button if I plug the reset button to the power pin on the mobo?

I have a
8 GB of kingston value RAM (DDR2 I think, i dont even know... I forgot)
Intel Core 2 Quad 8200 2.33Ghz (cooled by very big cooler master fan)
Centurion 5 case by cooler master
Corsair HX850 PSU (this is the new one, the original one was a 750 watt Antec Earthwatts PSU)
Asus P5Q3 mobo
2x Nvidia 9800 GT SLI PCI-E 2.0 (Hyper SLI hack applied to Crossfire ready mobo [this was working flawlessly prior to the problem])
Nvidia 610 PCI-E 1x video card (I put this in for "phys X" [just for shits and giggles])
Audigy SE dedicated audio [the cheapest one from Creative Sound Labs]
Maxtor 120 GB IDE HDD
Western digital 120 GB HDD

I just bought a SanDisk Ready Cache (32Gb SSD that works as a cache for faster performance), but I assumed the new PSU was gonna do the trick. Now I cant install the ready cache until I figure out whether my mobo is dead (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!), or my Centurion 5 power button is dead (YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!)
7 answers Last reply
More about computer turn
  1. take out all the video cards and cards and all the ram but one stick and see if the system posts. sounds like a part failed and is shorting out your system.
  2. Ok, I will do that, thanks for the prompt response. I edited my original post also. I noticed some fans are trying to start spinning as soon as I press the power button but they dont quite spin they only move very little and return to their original state. I also checked the powerbutton cable and the grounding/mobo speaker cables and everything was connected properly :/. I will proceed to check the cards and RAM by doing what you suggested. Thanks
  3. smorizio said:
    take out all the video cards and cards and all the ram but one stick and see if the system posts. sounds like a part failed and is shorting out your system.

I took out everything (cards) except the hard drives and one memory stick, and I still get the same result. I fear my mobo is dead :'(. Is there anything else I could try?
  4. try the mb outside the case...rule out that the mb is shorting out. make sure when you do this both the 24 and 4/8 pin power is connected. if nothing turns on check that the power/reset cables are in the right spot. then power off the pc and check for bent pins under the cpu.
  5. I took the PC to a nearby shop where they will do the "known-good-tests" on all of the hardware... I couldn't wait.. it was 50 bucks :'(
  6. It turned out the motherboard was dead... and the new PSU (Corsair HX850) I had put in was DOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    now my h80 cooler is failing too.. Corsair sucks. Dont buy their stuff!
  7. Not everything works.Corsair is a pretty good brand, they have 80 Plus certified psu.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Computer