Sign in with
Your question

Computer will not turn on please help me

Last response: in Motherboards
December 22, 2012 7:29:10 AM

Computer was working well in the morning then I turned it off and tried to turn in back on in the evening and what happened is that the power button light lit up for a second and I heard some fans spin for a second then everything shut off. I tried turning it on several times and the problem got worse each time, to the point where no fans spun and no LED lit up on the case. Now, I have replaced the power supply and the problem persists; all I can really hear is what I interpreted as a capacitor discharge, but I also noticed two internal case fans trying to spin. These fans will move about 2mm then return to their original positions. Nothing else happens.

I noticed a light on the motherboard called SB PWR is lit green constantly (no flashing), so I am guessing that is a good thing. Everything is impeccably clean, no dust or anything. I want to think there may have been a false contact with the power button cables or the power button system went bad or something?

I don't have another working mobo of the same model, I cant really run controlled tests to see if it died.

Is it possible to turn on the PC with the reset button if I plug the reset button to the power pin on the mobo?

[I built this computer with parts from other computers that is why I used IDE stuff (which is slow)]

I have a
8 GB of kingston value RAM (DDR2 I think, i dont even know... I forgot)
Intel Core 2 Quad 8200 2.33Ghz (cooled by very big cooler master fan)
Centurion 5 case by cooler master
Corsair HX850 PSU (this is the new one, the original one was a 750 watt Antec Earthwatts PSU)
Asus P5Q3 mobo
2x Nvidia 9800 GT SLI PCI-E 2.0 (Hyper SLI hack applied to Crossfire ready mobo [this was working flawlessly prior to the problem])
Nvidia 610 PCI-E 1x video card (I put this in for "phys X" [just for shits and giggles])
Audigy SE dedicated audio [the cheapest one from Creative Sound Labs]
Maxtor 120 GB IDE HDD
Western digital 120 GB HDD

I just bought a SanDisk Ready Cache (32Gb SSD that works as a cache for faster performance), but I assumed the new PSU was gonna do the trick. Now I cant install the ready cache until I figure out whether my mobo is dead (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!), or my Centurion 5 power button is dead (YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!)

More about : computer turn

a c 466 V Motherboard
December 22, 2012 7:45:48 AM

take out all the video cards and cards and all the ram but one stick and see if the system posts. sounds like a part failed and is shorting out your system.
m
l
December 22, 2012 8:00:49 AM

Ok, I will do that, thanks for the prompt response. I edited my original post also. I noticed some fans are trying to start spinning as soon as I press the power button but they dont quite spin they only move very little and return to their original state. I also checked the powerbutton cable and the grounding/mobo speaker cables and everything was connected properly :/ . I will proceed to check the cards and RAM by doing what you suggested. Thanks
m
l
Related resources
December 22, 2012 8:16:19 AM

smorizio said:
take out all the video cards and cards and all the ram but one stick and see if the system posts. sounds like a part failed and is shorting out your system.

I took out everything (cards) except the hard drives and one memory stick, and I still get the same result. I fear my mobo is dead :'( . Is there anything else I could try?
m
l
a c 466 V Motherboard
December 23, 2012 4:39:54 AM

try the mb outside the case...rule out that the mb is shorting out. make sure when you do this both the 24 and 4/8 pin power is connected. if nothing turns on check that the power/reset cables are in the right spot. then power off the pc and check for bent pins under the cpu.
m
l
December 23, 2012 9:08:59 AM

I took the PC to a nearby shop where they will do the "known-good-tests" on all of the hardware... I couldn't wait.. it was 50 bucks :'( 
m
l
January 3, 2013 12:13:28 AM

It turned out the motherboard was dead... and the new PSU (Corsair HX850) I had put in was DOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
now my h80 cooler is failing too.. Corsair sucks. Dont buy their stuff!
m
l
January 3, 2013 1:13:00 AM

Not everything works.Corsair is a pretty good brand, they have 80 Plus certified psu.
m
l
!