New Gaming build Advice. $$ no issue

xal999

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Hey Everyone,

I finally decided to upgrade my PC since Skyrim and BF3 came out (Like everyone else :p).
I'm just a bit stumped on what MOBO and RAM to purchase since I've been out of the loop for like 3 years lol.

My current Build going off the top of my head:

Case: Thermatake Armor+ (Decent enough full size case)
MOBO: ASUS P5Q Deluxe
CPU: Core 2 duo E8500
RAM: 4gb OCZ Platinum DDR2 800 (Pretty sure thats what it is)
GPU: ASUS GTX580 Direct CUII (Bought last week)
PSU: Corsair AX850 Gold ( Last week too)

My future build will be retaining a few Parts:

Case: Thermatake Armor+
MOBO: This is where I need help
CPU: i7 2600k
RAM: Help here too
GPU: ASUS GTX580 Direct CUII
PSU: Corsair AX850 Gold

In the future I will probably go with a case a little less silly but for now its fine, I really just want to upgrade the important stuff.

I don't imagine I will overclock for a while as I honestly can't be bothered tweaking right now but in the nearish future I'm sure.

This is the site I am currently buying from as I live in Australia and they're 10 mins away.
http://www.pccasegear.com

I'm mainly stumped on RAM. The prices on RAM are pretty trivial differences so I'm not too fussed about price, I just honestly don't know what to choose from these kits
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=186_538_913&vk_sort=4

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

xal999

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah I agree with you Vitorn, but I just can't bring myself not to buy it :p

About the ram rvilk, is there a noticable difference for gaming between say the one you recommended which is clocked at 1600mhz and the ridiculously priced ones that are clocked at 1866 and 2133?

Tbh I get fairly lost with ram o.o

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

I second this choice as well. That would be the one I would buy from that website/store.

By the way, the speed differences wouldn't be much noticeable over the 1600 Mhz, and definitely not justified by the price. I live in the states and I checked the exchange rate, then compared the cost of that to newegg.com, and those 2133 Ghz sticks shouldn't cost more than $90 for you guys. Typical of the store to do that though, our brick and mortar stores are no different... *sigh*

rvilkman

Distinguished
Like stated above the differences for sandy bridge mobos are minimal, the CAS9 1600Mhz is the bang for buck range.

There is an article on anandtech.com about the sandy bridge memory a couple of months ago if you want to read it and since the prices are about the same than they were at the writing of that article, the 1600Mhz remains the way to go.

xal999

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Cool I will have a read. Yeah the prices are a little ridiculous, they're not the cheapest place in town but they have a better range of products than MSY (Absolute cheapest parts you will find in Melbourne lol). Even then, the difference between the 2 stores is only like $10.

Hopefully I can buy this stuff after work and get cracking on skyrim. Was going to buy an SSD drive but they got a competition at work and one of the prizes is an ocz vertex ssd, I think I got a decent chance :p

xal999

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
I don't understand the point with buying alienware, cases look silly, you get charged a stupid premium and at the end of the day as long as you GPU is good, everything else only provides minimal benefits ( For gaming anyway).

The main reason I put in the no issue with $$ is because theres not thaat much you can really spend on the 2 components I'm seeking help with and I don't want peoples advice limited by budget

Sorry if it sounded a bit dickish :(