FZ20 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorry if this has been asked and asnwered before, couldnt find any reference
on google..

It appears that the fz20 takes an image in tiff mode and saves a version of
it also in jpg? so you have 1 image at around 14-15 meg and another at
around 800k. Is this normal or have I selected a setting to do this
inadvertantly?

Thanks for any help, very knew to this camera, still on learners plates ;)

It's in `TIF` mode, and that's what it does.

Umm, why are we reading your manual for you?

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 12:36:40 +1000, "Tony Lathouras"
<tony_lathouras@hotmail.com> wrote:

>what
>the manual doesnt explain is that can it be turned off, and why it does it
>like that to start with!! Hence my original question.

If you have it save in TIFF it will always also save in JPG, consider the JPG
to be the thumbnail version of the TIFF, it's smaller and can be opened for
viewing much more quickly. At least that's my guess at the reason they made it
that way.

"Bill Spanger" <k7kkg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 12:36:40 +1000, "Tony Lathouras"
> <tony_lathouras@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>what
>>the manual doesnt explain is that can it be turned off, and why it does it
>>like that to start with!! Hence my original question.
>
> If you have it save in TIFF it will always also save in JPG, consider the
> JPG
> to be the thumbnail version of the TIFF, it's smaller and can be opened
> for
> viewing much more quickly. At least that's my guess at the reason they
> made it
> that way.

Yep, that makes sense and is probably the reasoning behind it. Thanks!

After a thorough search through the menus, there does not appear any choices
that can be made to alter this.

Tony Lathouras wrote:
> "Bill Spanger" <k7kkg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 12:36:40 +1000, "Tony Lathouras"
>><tony_lathouras@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>what
>>>the manual doesnt explain is that can it be turned off, and why it does it
>>>like that to start with!! Hence my original question.
>>
>>If you have it save in TIFF it will always also save in JPG, consider the
>>JPG
>>to be the thumbnail version of the TIFF, it's smaller and can be opened
>>for
>>viewing much more quickly. At least that's my guess at the reason they
>>made it
>>that way.
>

> Yep, that makes sense and is probably the reasoning behind it. Thanks!
>
> After a thorough search through the menus, there does not appear any choices
> that can be made to alter this.

Many "Top-of-the-Line" SLRs do this when shooting in RAW mode.
They save the image in .jpeg also.
This gives the shooter a choice as to whether he wants to do in-depth
editing himself or let the camera make many of the editing choices for
him..........Bob Williams

bogus

Distinguished
May 27, 2004

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:05:39 +1000, "Tony Lathouras"
<tony_lathouras@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Bill Spanger" <k7kkg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 12:36:40 +1000, "Tony Lathouras"
>> <tony_lathouras@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>what
>>>the manual doesnt explain is that can it be turned off, and why it does it
>>>like that to start with!! Hence my original question.
>>
>> If you have it save in TIFF it will always also save in JPG, consider the
>> JPG
>> to be the thumbnail version of the TIFF, it's smaller and can be opened
>> for
>> viewing much more quickly. At least that's my guess at the reason they
>> made it
>> that way.
>
>Yep, that makes sense and is probably the reasoning behind it. Thanks!
>
>After a thorough search through the menus, there does not appear any choices
>that can be made to alter this.

When I also first looked for a way to turn this off with no luck I
recalled reading in the manual of the various menu options that
couldn't be enabled while the camera was set to capture Tiff's. Then
it dawned on me, the Jpg that the camera saves with each Tiff file
might be the only file the camera can do much with, so when the user
reviews the pictures they have just taken they aren't looking at the
high quality Tiff they've captured but instead are looking at a high
compression Standard quality Jpg version of it.