Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which of these 2 laptops would you reccomend i get and why, thanks.

Last response: in CPUs

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b D Laptop
February 16, 2012 6:14:12 PM

Reccomended for what? What is your budget? What do you plan on doing with them? Gaming? Web browsing? Word documents?

Edit: Both are low end laptops, however the one from futureshop has better specifications.

Acer Aspire 15.6" (from the source)

Celeron 1.6Ghz
4GB Ram
320GB 5400RPM HDD
1366x768 resolution
Intel HD Graphics

Acer Aspire 14" (from futureshop) <----better deal
Pentium P6200 2.13Ghz
500GB HDD 5400RPM
6GB RAM
DVD drive
Intel HD Graphic

Edit 2: The reason the futureshop one is a better deal is - 2GB more ram, 500GB HDD vs only 320GB HDD, and a DVD drive. Plus a beefier CPU than the one from the source.
Related resources
February 16, 2012 6:28:36 PM

Chainzsaw said:
Reccomended for what? What is your budget? What do you plan on doing with them? Gaming? Web browsing? Word documents?

Edit: Both are low end laptops, however the one from futureshop has better specifications.

Acer Aspire 15.6" (from the source)

Celeron 1.6Ghz
4GB Ram
320GB 5400RPM HDD
1366x768 resolution
Intel HD Graphics

Acer Aspire 14" (from futureshop) <----better deal
Pentium P6200 2.13Ghz
500GB HDD 5400RPM
6GB RAM
DVD drive
Intel HD Graphic

Edit 2: The reason the futureshop one is a better deal is - 2GB more ram, 500GB HDD vs only 320GB HDD, and a DVD drive. Plus a beefier CPU than the one from the source.

RE: Un4gettable47...

Thanks, but can u tell me about dedicated video memory 128mb for thesource laptop and also thesource laptop's processor has a slightly higher benchmark grade. Those are the things that i am unsure with.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b D Laptop
February 16, 2012 6:40:46 PM

un4gettable47 said:
RE: Un4gettable47...

Thanks, but can u tell me about dedicated video memory 128mb for thesource laptop and also thesource laptop's processor has a slightly higher benchmark grade. Those are the things that i am unsure with.

Here are the benchmarks for both CPUs:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Ce...

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Pentium+P...

They actually appear to be very similar, and the futureshop one is actually slightly slower, but not much.

However with more ram it will perform better, as well as the bigger HDD.

Also they both have Integrated graphics cards - so that 128MB you are seeing is actually memory that is used by RAM, and not actually built into the IGPU.

Keep in mind both are quite weak laptops.
m
l
February 16, 2012 6:54:44 PM

k thanks again, and i know its weak compared to those beast laptops, lol. I have an 1gb ram aspire right now so this will be quite an upgrade for "me" I just want to be able to use youtube without slight lag like 1gb ram netbook. Streaming works great on netbook i already have though, but still guna get new 1 that is a little better, thanks a million man!
m
l
a c 147 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
February 16, 2012 7:12:33 PM

Passmark isn't a good benchmark, the pentium is actually faster. I doubt you will use more than 4 gb of ram anyways. The celeron is the newer sb architecture and also has better igpu. As chainzsaw said though, neither have dedicated memory, they use the ram as vram. The newer architecture is only 10-20% faster per clock but is still a bit behind the pentium which is 500mhz faster. Cache doesn't really make a difference. These are all just small difference accompanied with a small price difference. Either would be about the same performance, but I would actually pick the first one with the celeron.

I'm guessing you don't want to buy used/refurbished?
m
l
February 16, 2012 7:20:22 PM

k1114 said:
Passmark isn't a good benchmark, the pentium is actually faster. I doubt you will use more than 4 gb of ram anyways. The celeron is the newer sb architecture and also has better igpu. As chainzsaw said though, neither have dedicated memory, they use the ram as vram. The newer architecture is only 10-20% faster per clock but is still a bit behind the pentium which is 500mhz faster. Cache doesn't really make a difference. These are all just small difference accompanied with a small price difference. Either would be about the same performance, but I would actually pick the first one with the celeron.

I'm guessing you don't want to buy used/refurbished?

REPLY:

Come on, i get two people saying complete opposite, that is not what i hoped for. And i dont understand why u guys r saying neither has any dedicated memory, it says in specs that thesource laptop has 128MB dedicated memory, is that a factor?
m
l
a c 145 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
February 16, 2012 7:44:20 PM

The graphics chip is built tinto the processor and no it doesnt have 128MB of ram built in just for the GPU to use. The GPU dedicates 128mb of system ram for itself at bootup and then more thru windows as it needs it.

Edit - Do you have the option of coming down to the states to purchase one?
m
l
February 17, 2012 11:48:06 PM

hey guys I just bought the new acer laptop and deleted some files i didn't want like mcafee and some other things.
It turns out that this laptop i did this on was from a recent exchange from futureshop. So on the first laptop i bought yesterday i used 3 dvd's to backup to factory settings or something. And this time on the exchanged laptop today i deleted files first and am wondering how i can make those back up dvd's for this laptop? I made a dvd to back up something but it only took like 20seconds? So how can i back up on 3 dvd's again for this laptop and what did i backup in the 20 seconds??? Can someone help me, thanks. it is an acer aspire intel core i3-380m, the previous laptop was acer with pentium 6200 processor. Their was A POP UP LAST TIME AND THATS HOW I CREATED DVDS, THIS TIME I WENT TO BACKUP AND RESTSTOR ANDD I CREATED 1 DVD IN LIKE 20 SECONDS. AND AS I SAID BEFORE I HAVE DELETED SOME FILES THAT INTERFEAR WITH MY INTERNET PROVIDERS FIREWALL LIKE MCAFEE, AND SOME OTHER THINGS LIKE NORTON AND KODO. SO CAN I STILL MAKE BACKUP DVD'S SOPMEHOW, IF SO PLEASE TELL ME HOW, I DONT THINK IT CAN BE DONE IN BACKUP AND RESTORE, MAYBE FOR THIS LAPTOP THE 1 DISK WAS ALL I NEEDED, NO THAT DONT MAKE SENSE. PLEASE HELP.
m
l
February 18, 2012 12:19:09 AM

Best answer selected by un4gettable47.
m
l
!