Ati 5870 crashing problems

vollade

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Hello,i have the ati 5870 card, and i keep getting blue screened when i play games, the weired thing is it sometimes works fine for days and then others it just crashes the minute i play anything. the card has been like this since i got it. im running the asus crosshair4 mother board and running the phenom 1090t hexicore prossesor, with 1000w silverstone full moduler psu.
im using the crosshair h50 liquid cooling system, and have 5 case fans running, 200mm on the side, and claw master excaliber 120mm top back and front fans, , memory is 4gig ddr3 dual channel crosshair dominator gt 200mhz. weve done numerouse checks on the system, including fur mark for the card and it passes them all, the memory passes all tests we throw at it and so does the board and prossesor. so im kind of lost as to whats wrong with it. all we know is removing the card sorts the problem, or putting another 5870 in and running them both makes it stable, can u help please?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Are you overclocking this GPU at all? You are describing (as you know) typical heat/power issues. Your power should not be an issue given your PSU and your cooling should more than be sufficient.

Also, are you drivers fully up to date?

200mhz ddr3?????? Alrighty then.

What makes you think the problem is your video card? Sounds more like incorrect memory settings. Check voltage.

wondafunk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011

I agree, could be faulty but does sound like voltage drop outs even if the number 200 was/is/isn't a typo. As for Furmark and 3dmark, they can be faulty, they are stress testers but not super reliable. There more for showing off in my opinion without really digging into your card. Have you tried running stress testers for lengths of 12 hours or more? I myself like using Kombuster for lengths of time with a voltage monitor and recorder. Also I should ask what kinds of crashes, we talking bsods, catalyst crashes, whole lockups, frame drops?

vollade

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
yes its a typeo, it is 2000mh ram. the crashes are always blue screens, we knew this could be a fault with voltage drop, or problems with ram. i am using the latest catalyst software, memory was stress tested for 12 hrs wth mem test. thing is i play world of warcraft for anything up to 18hrs at a time, and like i say it can run fine for days on full settings, yet others i will be lucky if it lasts five minutes. also why would running two of the same card with the crossfire, it runs stable.

farbods0

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009

Im having the same issue. How do u check that exaclty?

vollade

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
weirdly the card has sorted itself, im running games at full pelt without a problem, i had removed one stick of ram and the card was stable, but as this was done sevral times before, and we put a little sticker on one of the sticks of ram so we knew we werent just taking out the same one, i have to admit im a bit bewildered, nothing was changed at all, all settings were kept bios setup ram speeds fans ect, nothing at all was changed, all i did was go into the card and noticed that a couple of the solders had a white solid joining them togeather, and it looked more like a splater than something that was done on purpose, so i cearfully removed the white substance, not knowing if it was capable of shorting the card or anything, but it seems to have solved the problem, and this is the only thing thats been done.