  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
March 25, 2005 6:18:11 PM

Well, my preorder bundle from EB online arrived yesterday, right on
schedule, and I must say -- PSP is one awesome piece of engineering!

I have owned several portable systems through the years -- the Atari Lynx,
the Nintendo GBA and SP -- and PSP of course completely buries them.

What you have here is PS2-caliber gaming to go.

The four games I ordered in my bundle are Ridge Racer, Twisted Metal,
Lumines, and Tiger Woods, and IMO they're all spectacular and addictive. I
was playing them last night as I was trying to watch an episode of Nova on
TV and -- well, I'm afraid Nova got the short end of the stick...

Is the Value Pack worth the money? Well, the basic machine is easily worth
$200 by itself. Throw in the movie Spiderman 2 (IMO one of the greatest
superhero movies ever) and the memory card, and those bring the value to
about $250. Then the foam protective case (stylish but of questionable
durability), the wrist strap, and the earbuds with remote are useful but not
essential bonuses.

As many reviews have noted, the PSP excels first and foremost as a game
player, with the other multimedia capabilities as value-added extras. Is
PS2 gaming on the go worth that kind of dough to you? To me, yes
absolutely. I'm a semi-pro musician, and I have found that nothing beats
video games for passing the time backstage before going onstage; plus games
sharpen your reflexes.

Clearly if you want to use the PSP for its other features, you will need to
spend more money for a larger memory card and a USB cable. As to the
viability of the UMD format for movies, if a rental market emerged, this
could enhance the desirability of the PSP. Otherwise, it would be smart for
Sony to pack in a UMD copy of their films with every DVD at no extra charge.
THAT might help the format take off -- and bolster PSP sales as well!
Certainly no one would want to buy a UMD copy of a movie instead of a DVD
with the latter's bonus content.

But back to playing games. My PSP functions beautifully; there are no pixel
problems, and the square button works fine. The machine looks and feels
like a quality piece of A/V gear, not a plastic toy like the Nintendo
machines.

As others have noted, the screen is amazing, and I am impressed that the
built-in speakers, although obviously limited in output and bass response,
provide undistorted sound as well as a stereo image. I haven't heard any
noise from the disk drive; I'm not sure what some early reviewers were
complaining about -- maybe some dirt had gotten into the UMD cases...

I also think Sony made the right choice going with a disk format instead of
cartridge, as disks offer so much more content; I was noticing how huge the
environments were in Twisted Metal -- as big or bigger than the TM
environments on PS2.

Battery life playing games with full brightness and maximum volume ran about
four hours yesterday. The battery recharges in just under 2-1/2 hours.

At any rate, if you want a high-quality video game player to keep you
occupied when you're away from home -- you can't do better than get your
paws on a PSP. Highly recommended.

More about : psp rocks house

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 10:43:18 PM

the_niner_nation wrote:

> Do we HAVE to suffer through a personal review each and every time
someone
> buys a PsP??????????????????

It is better than 99% of the drek that passes for posts around here.
Plus, it is a common experience that happens with the PSP. That is, you
can read all about it, you can see screen captures, videos about it,
hear about it. But once you get your hands on one, the feeling is
incredible and can't be described. When I went to get mine, I was
planning on getting Tiger Woods and ATV Fury but the Walmart didn't
have them and nothing there really interested me. I didn't know what
Lumines was about and was kind of skeptical that it was any good but
wanted to pick up at least one game and planned to go out later in the
day to look for Tiger Woods and ATV Fury. So, I get home and just awed
by trying out the stuff in the value pack and looking over the PSP.
Then I try Lumines. OK, how cute, another Tetris clone. Well, it is
very sharp looking and there does seem to more than Tetris like stuff
happening. OK, lean back on the couch and play with this thing for
awhile. 4 hours later...still playing. It was getting dark and it was
time to eat dinner -- must stop, wait, just play a little while
longer... Taking a PSP on a plane will make a flight to Hawaii feel
like it took no time at all. It is that good.
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 1:13:47 AM

"Jerry P. Danzig" <jpdanzig@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> complaining about -- maybe some dirt had gotten into the UMD cases...
>
> I also think Sony made the right choice going with a disk format instead
of
> cartridge, as disks offer so much more content; I was noticing how huge
the
> environments were in Twisted Metal -- as big or bigger than the TM
> environments on PS2.
>
> Battery life playing games with full brightness and maximum volume ran
about
> four hours yesterday. The battery recharges in just under 2-1/2 hours.
>
> At any rate, if you want a high-quality video game player to keep you
> occupied when you're away from home -- you can't do better than get your
> paws on a PSP. Highly recommended.

Do we HAVE to suffer through a personal review each and every time someone
March 26, 2005 1:27:00 AM

"the_niner_nation" <dipakREMOVETHIS@hotmailANDTHIS.com> wrote in message

> Do we HAVE to suffer through a personal review each and every time someone
> buys a PsP??????????????????

Better question: Do you HAVE to quote the ENTIRE FREAKING POST to interject
a one-line comment?

--
This post brought to you by Dammitol.
Dammitol: We can't get rid of the stress,

"the_niner_nation" <dipakREMOVETHIS@hotmailANDTHIS.com> wrote in message

> Do we HAVE to suffer through a personal review each and every time someone
> buys a PsP??????????????????

Well considering it says PSP in the title, that would make you a dumb ass
for reading it.
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 3:04:41 AM

the_niner_nation <dipakREMOVETHIS@hotmailandthis.com> wrote:

> Do we HAVE to suffer through a personal review each and every time someone
> buys a PsP??????????????????

Do we have to suffer through someone whining about on-topic posts?

*plonk*

No, we do not.
March 26, 2005 6:18:39 AM

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
> the_niner_nation <dipakREMOVETHIS@hotmailandthis.com> wrote:
>
>> Do we HAVE to suffer through a personal review each and every time
>> someone
>> buys a PsP??????????????????
>
> Do we have to suffer through someone whining about on-topic posts?
>
> *plonk*
>
> No, we do not.

Kill files = the easy way for the extremely intolerant.
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 6:57:02 PM

Bilgecunt wrote:

>> Do we HAVE to suffer through a personal review
>> each and every time someone buys a PSP?

> It is better than 99% of the drek that passes for
> posts around here.

....says the sweetheart whose gullet SCEA subsidizes as a jism
repository. Young, dumb, and full of cum -- that's our Bliggy!
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 4:17:34 PM

the_niner_nation wrote:
> [...]
instead
> of
> > cartridge, as disks offer so much more content; I was noticing how
huge
> the
> > environments were in Twisted Metal -- as big or bigger than the TM
> > environments on PS2.
> >
> > Battery life playing games with full brightness and maximum volume
ran
> about
> > four hours yesterday. The battery recharges in just under 2-1/2
hours.

> > At any rate, if you want a high-quality video game player to keep
you
> > occupied when you're away from home -- you can't do better than get
your
> > paws on a PSP. Highly recommended.
> >

> Do we HAVE to suffer through a personal review each and every time

Until an official PSP group is created, this is the most logical place
for these posts. You can always set your filters to block out anything
with "PSP" in the subject.
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 12:07:57 AM

WJM <wjmuldowney@noearthlinkspam.net> wrote:

> Kill files = the easy way for the extremely intolerant.

Intolerant? Nonsense. I just have better things to do than read articles
from buffoons I could care less about. So rather than complain about said
buffoons, I just ignore them. Simple as that.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 10:07:24 PM

Do we HAVE to suffer through a repost of your original stupid comment on my
review?

!