Need solution for 8 wired 2 wireless network

Scout65

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
We have a PC (wired) and x box (wired) in 4 bedrooms and an x box (wired) a PS3 (wireless) and a Wii (wireless), which we use to stream netflix in the living room . Of course all of these are not going at the same time, but at least 2 PC's, 1 gaming system and netflix running at same time. I wanted to game wired because after some reading, it seemed more people agreed that it was better. The Wii and ps3 came with wireless so we just stuck with that. I currently have an older Linsys g router which we constantly have to unplug one thing to make room for another. I need something that will accommodate all 8 wired and 2 wireless connections. Also, when watching netflix, we often lose the signal so maybe something made for streaming. I heard about plugging a wired router into one of the ports of the wireless to get additional connection points. Will that work for my setup?

Solution
just buy a 5 port or 8 port switch and a network cable, and connect it to the router which will give you the additional ports you seek.

Scout65

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011

Any brand preferences? I like the netgear 3700. (Too bad the 4000 doesn't come out til April) . At Newegg they had a netgear switch which would give me 4 more, for about 30 bucks.