CPU Causing Problems in Gaming

dmwoods1s

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Hey everyone, this is my first time posting a question here, but it seems like I'll get some inciteful answers.
Anyways, for a while now I have been having trouble with several of my games. Namely: Battlefield Bad Company 2, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Skyrim, and Far Cry 2. My trouble consists of constant stuttering the longer I am playing the game. Once I get the game up and running it's fine, but once I get about 20 minutes into it (or even less) the game becomes annoying to play. Team Fortress 2 does not do this nor does Portal 2. I can see that it is clearly games that require better hardware to run the game, but my rig is this:

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor
8 GB of RAM
Asetek Liquid Cooling Kit
800 Watt PSU
Asus GTX 570 Directcuii
Windows 7 64 Bit
Bios Version:Name:Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Version:Award Software International, Inc. F

Which should be fine for any game. I am not overclocking anything as of now. I was overclocking the video card a little bit just to see if it fixed it and still nothing. I am beginning to wonder if it has anything to do with my CPU temperatures. I have literally spent months on monkeying with the settings on these games, looking up what other people have done to no avail. I have lowered settings/etc.

I keep my PC very clean, I have a front fan, top fan, bottom fan, and the Asetek Liquid Cooling system on the back. I keep the radiator of that clean as well.

Today I got ballsy and went into my bios to see what the settings were for my CPU. I ended up trying to turn of SMART fan control to have the fan run the fastest no matter what. Still didn't help. I don't know if there are anymore settings in the BIOS i can do to make the CPU run more efficently, but that is what I am here asking.

I also noticed my GIGABYTE motherboard came with some ENERGY SAVER software which I never use.. I don't know if that could help in the performance or not. Anyways, any answers will be very helpful

Solution
D
Yeah even with the reduced voltage you are too hot. I believe that 65C is the "risk damage" point for Phenom IIs. Try reapplying paste and if that does not work something like a Hyper 212+ or the Hyper 212 Evo are good low cost options. I think your closed loop cooler might have pooped out.

dmwoods1s

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Also, if you need anymore information I will do my best to inform you. Here is a screen shot of Speedfan while I was just surfing the internet. Seems a little high maybe?

speedfantemps.jpg

jrtolson

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
i doubt you have any hardware issue, and your rig is more than capable of playing those games..

i would suspect it is some sort of software running in the background, when it stutters, "alt tab" back to windows and see wot process is using up cpu time in task manager..

i would be willing to bet u have some bloatware anti virus, or some other misbehaving malware on your pc..

dmwoods1s

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Thanks for the response! I will definitely check for malware. I usually run malwarebytes once a month just in case, but I haven't in a while. I use MSE as my antivirus. I will also try alt tabbing out during a game and seeing if anything is running. Also, another question.. is it necessary to update your BIOS? And could that cause these types of problems?

D

Deleted member 217926

BIOS updates are generally only necessary if you are having problems with some existing hardware or you plan on upgrading to newer hardware that needs newer BIOS to support it. Older or newer BIOS should have nothing to do with your current problem.

I see no obvious holes in your system. Have you updated to the latest drivers?

Have you monitored temps while playing games? It really does sould like a thermal issue to me.

dmwoods1s

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Yeah, I just updated my drivers yesterday actually. Temps while playing games get pretty high. I know that my processors max temp is about 62 C and it gets above that most of the time. I do have extra thermal paste, my only problem is.. Getting the liquid cooling system off my processor. I am not exactly sure how to remove it. I've heard you can spill the liquid out by removing it. It has four silver 'screw' type poles on each side of the cooler. They do not look like conventinal screws. This is what it looks like. Except instead of the black tabs.. there are silver 'screws'

Asetek-039-s-Low-Cost-Liquid-Cooling-Solution-2.jpg

If i just take the part off the top of my processor.. that shouldn't spill right?>?

D

Deleted member 217926

That is a good question. I have never used a water cooling kit. It's one of those self contained coolers right? You don't have a seperate resovoir and pump? If it's self contained it should not be capable of leaking.

If it's a real water loop something is wrong for sure. It should be cooling much better than air. The cheaper closed loop coolers generally cool worse than good air cooling.

D

Deleted member 217926

After reading your question again, yes you should be safe removing those screws. What I don't know is if the cooler has a backplate on the motherboard. Do you have access to the back of the board with it in your case? Some cases have cutouts to allow access. If it has a backplate you are going to need to access it when you reinstall. You may have to remove the motherboard to reinstall the cooler.

What exact model is the cooler?

dmwoods1s

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
I couldn't tell you the exact model. It was just a cheap model that comes with pre built computers. I do remove the radiator part to clean it, and it's not really connected to anything except, the motherboard and then the power supply. So it should be easily disconnected. And yes, I am pretty sure it's self contained. I have wanted to try to take it off to reapply thermal paste, i just haven't had the balls to do it haha. Don't wanna ruin anything. And what do you mean by backplate? Like on the otherside of my motherboard?

D

Deleted member 217926

Yeah a backplate that the screws go in on the backside of the motherboard. Still not sure if it has one.

Since it is not cooling the way you need it to you really have no choice but to at least reapply paste. If that does not work get a $30 Hyper 212+ to replace it. You should not be at 36C at idle much less 46C....even if you are overclocked to 4Ghz.

D

Deleted member 217926

Wait. Before you go removing anything lets check your temps at load. Run Prime 95 for about 30 minutes while monitoring your temps and let's see how high they go.

G

*extra*?

it does not take much, most guides suggest a dot about the size of a grain of rice. enough to cover the chip in a thin layer.

dmwoods1s

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Alrighty.. So I ran the Prime95 test and did the 'Blend Test' for 30 minutes. Surprisingly it did not get as hot as i thought it would, but it is still have the max temp for the processor. and Looniam - I just meant extra as in I have some extra that came with my computer. In case I needed to reapply it.

5 Minutes

5mins.jpg

15 minutes

15mins.jpg

30 minutes

30mins.jpg

D

Deleted member 217926

Ok you are way too hot. Anything over 65 can damage the processor.

Try reinstalling that cooler with new thermal paste. Worst case you have to get a new cooler.

Are you overclocked at all? I am not as familiar with AMD as I am with Intel but those voltages look way high for stock clocks. Like you should be at 1.25v stock. I..4v is about as high as you want to go and if you are at 1.47 that is dangerous levels.

D

Deleted member 217926

You still have not answered if you are overclocking or not. Either way you are too hot and have too much voltage going to the CPU.

A quick fix would be to go in BIOS and Load Failsafe Defaults. Or something similar to that. Try that then check your voltage / temps again.

D

Deleted member 217926

My mistake. You said you were not overclocking in your first post. Voltages are so high I just assumed you were.