GTX 580...is it overkill and is it worth it???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geeksire

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Welcome to my dumbest thread that I have eva' created!!!

I just wanted to know if my plan is awesome or just plain stupid. My plan is to buy one GTX 580, wait for 5 years, then buy another GTX 580 in the future. Would this be reasonable or just completely stupid? Can I be able to combine my GTX 580 with another GTX card (in the future.)

OR should I just do SLI 560 Ti's so it can amount to $450?

Please help : /

The 580 will be outdated over 5 years by processor, vram version, dx version and a lot more, so stupid to buy another one over 5 year then. Better now buy 560 ti sli or 6950 cfx or just wait till begin 2012 and go for the new series. ( sli or cfx ) You won't be able to sli with other future gtx card i think..

and the best choice would be to wait until 2012, HD 7950 is gonna be 2 GB XDR2 "the rambus technology that is said to be twice faster than GDDR5, with 1 GHz GPU frequency and 28 nm architecture, generally this seies is supposed to be over the HD 6990.
so if you buy now a GTX 580 you'll be happy and max out any game, but if you wait you'll get a more future proof card

Geeksire

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
I see then. Thanks for you quick responses! I just posted this just right now : D

So should I go with the 560 Ti's or Crossfire 6970's or Crossfire 6950's??

OR just wait for the end to world in 2012 to see what is in store because I actually do plan on buying my components in December and January.

DRMB

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011

Well, in 5 years time you definitely wouldn't be able to (or if you could somehow you definitely wouldn't want to). The only way I can see it being possible is if it's like the 8800GT/9800GT (which it wouldn't be since we're talking about a 5 yr gap), which are basically the same card (and then for instance flashing the 9800GT w/ an 8800GT BIOS). But yeah, if you don't plan on buying til Dec/Jan, I wouldn't even worry about it until we know more about the GTX 600 and HD 7000 series cards.

with the Extreme Evolution in the Gaming world, we can't predict any GPU to last for 5 Years, maybe it will be still good for any game as a normal visual but the question is "will be GTX 580 or Even 590 max out any game after 2 years without a lag of performance ? no one ever can predict what's gonna be in the gaming Industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.