Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best cpu cooler?

Last response: in Components
February 17, 2012 12:17:47 AM

budget: dont really matter whatever is worth it.

Should i get the best air cooler? or the best liquid cooling? i was thinking between the noc 14 or the antec 920?

Thoughts?

More about : cpu cooler

a b à CPUs
February 17, 2012 12:59:21 AM

Both are great.

I prefer the water cooling units, even though they may be a bit more expensive, because:

1) they are easier to install
2) they open space for more airflow in your case
3) you don't need to buy or apply thermal paste
4) they put less stress on the mobo than a heavy air cooler does.

If you have the space in your case and the budget, go for the H100 with 2 extra fans (4 total) in push/pull. That is the best cooling that you will be able to get unless you go custom water cooling.
Score
February 17, 2012 1:16:04 AM

Reviews point out that a good cooler is the Thermalright True Spirit. Only weighing 570g and under $30. It all depends what you are doing, you could go for the Zalman CNPS12X which has 3 silent fans and performs very well. I'm just scared a water cooler will leak :p 
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2012 1:22:27 AM

Whenever you talk about water cooling, leaking comes up.

I think that someone who has some experience with custom water cooling loops should comment on how much this actually happens.

Whatever that number is for custom loops, I am 100% positive that a leaking factory sealed unit will happen to an extremely lesser degree.

It would be a good thing to know though. So people won't be scared off by the 'boogyman'.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2012 1:22:33 AM

pezonator said:
Reviews point out that a good cooler is the Thermalright True Spirit. Only weighing 570g and under $30. It all depends what you are doing, you could go for the Zalman CNPS12X which has 3 silent fans and performs very well. I'm just scared a water cooler will leak :p 

It would be nearly impossible for closed WCers to leak.

As vollman1 said, closed WC units are pretty good, just a little more expensive. The CM Evo has the best price/performance ratio out of all coolers because it's only $30.
It really depends on your specs and your upgrade path.

BTW, the H100 default fans are very loud so the Silverstone APs should go with your purchase :) 
Score
February 17, 2012 1:32:38 AM

Toms published an article just yesterday that the D14 is the best air cooler money can buy.

It cools on par with the best $100 closed loop liquid coolers, costs less and is quieter. Only thing is it's massive and looks hideous.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2012 1:41:04 AM

It's on par with the H100 running with only the stock fans... maybe.

But by just adding 2 more fans, the D14 is blown away (pun intended).
Score
February 17, 2012 1:42:39 AM

I love my corsair h80....

Even though it's loud, it looks cool as hell with the tubes and stuff :p 
Score
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2012 1:53:53 AM

LOL

I love my H100 and I rarely hear it at all!

Now, if I could just get my GPU to quiet down....

(4.5Ghz @ 1.36v and 60'C with 100% load, btw)

Edit:

That's with the fans on low setting with 4 fans total. I can get cooler by using medium or high settings.
Score
February 17, 2012 4:34:54 AM

Yea the nocuta looks horrible and im getting a huge case but im getting the bulldozer so its gonna be hot idk maybie the thermaltake frio ock?
Score
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2012 5:49:56 AM

+1 for the H100. On the lowest speed setting, the fans are quiet and the cooling is good. I did put 4 fans on it, but I noticed the temps actually went up a bit...I was using dissimilar fans though (2x stock, 2x Blademaster) so I imagine that was the cause.
Score
a c 185 à CPUs
February 17, 2012 6:26:26 AM

If you get the H100, get Cougar fans!
Score
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2012 8:50:51 AM

It would also be handy to know what all your proposed system hardware will be including the PC case you are going to buy.
Score
a c 103 à CPUs
February 17, 2012 10:14:08 AM

If your going air cooled and your case can support a large tower cooler, can't go wrong with Thermalright Archon, about £50 or less online and by all accounts one of the best on the market and can wipe the floor with H2O's.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2012 4:52:04 PM

stanistheman said:
budget: dont really matter whatever is worth it.

Should i get the best air cooler? or the best liquid cooling? i was thinking between the noc 14 or the antec 920?

Thoughts?

das_stig said:
If your going air cooled and your case can support a large tower cooler, can't go wrong with Thermalright Archon, about £50 or less online and by all accounts one of the best on the market and can wipe the floor with H2O's.

I would challenge you to provide ANY source that shows that the best air cooler beats the H100 with 4 fans. :non: 

Even the reviews using the H100 with only 2 stock fans show it on par or above the best air coolers. Adding 2 more fans gives you even greater cooling and hands down makes the H100 the best cpu cooler (not including custom loops).
Score
February 17, 2012 10:52:44 PM

Hmmm so either the h100 or XSPC Rasa 450 RX120 Universal CPU Water Cooling Kit

im scared if i make it myself it will leak one orther thing which would perform better?
Score
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2012 10:58:06 PM

lol

I was considering custom water cooling as well. I even have a parts list.

I can only say two things:

1) Hang out in the water cooling forum if you are even thinking about custom cooling

and

2) All things considered, I went with a factory sealed unit :) 
Score
February 17, 2012 11:56:14 PM

Which water cooling did u go with the corsair h80?
Score
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2012 11:58:03 PM

I had space for an H100 with a full 4 fan push/pull configuration.
Score
February 18, 2012 12:02:57 AM

Cooler Master HAF X 942 nvidia version case

i mean im pretty sure i can fit everything in there

You reckon the h100 is worth it or should i just go custom?
Score
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2012 12:12:23 AM

To tell you the truth, custom loops scare me. lol

To do a custom loop, you have to get the right parts and you don't want to go cheap there. You have to size it and connect it outside of the case to test for leaks at least 2-3 times. Then disassemble it and install the parts into your rig. Put the parts back into your rig and connect the tubing. Test, test, test again for leaks. Bleed the air out. And then, you have the maintenance....

I am scared and lazy, so I went the easy way with the H100 :na: 

To be honest, I also found a deal that I couldn't refuse. I was planning on the H100 anyway but when Black Friday hit, it was game over. Too good a deal to pass up. I wish that I had bought 2 units back then. :na: 
Score
February 18, 2012 12:18:08 AM

Lol aye man could you do me a favour?. what temps are you getting with your cpu? and what cpu you got?

Lol i agree im scared too i mean im buying a 700 dollars video card so you know lol
the main reason i wanted custom is cause it looks awesome in case hahaha
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 18, 2012 12:25:46 AM

i5 2500k OC is 4.5Ghz @ 1.36v
Ambient temp is ~20-21'C

idle temps are... low 30s 'C (average is like 32-33'C)

100% load temps peak at low 60s 'C (high is ~61'C)

haha yeah it would look awesome to have the colored loops :) 

Edit:

This is all on LOW fan speeds, btw. :D 
February 18, 2012 12:50:44 AM

Best answer selected by stanistheman.
Score
February 18, 2012 12:50:50 AM

Thanks guys
Score
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2012 1:02:56 AM

thanks for best answer and have fun with your build!
Score
March 6, 2012 11:52:17 AM

Im looking in to water cooling as well. When and if this happen,will be my first water cooling Computer. Maybe for us noob at water cooling,you guys can throw togeather a list of parts ect that one would need to build their on water cooler. I doing a new build right now,the motherboard I picked is ASUS Crosshair V Formula/ThunderBolt AMD 990FX Board I want the best cooler for this board. Till I can save and build our buy my own water cooler.
p.s what a D-14?
Score
August 3, 2012 12:13:22 PM

vollman1 said:
Both are great.

I prefer the water cooling units, even though they may be a bit more expensive, because:

1) they are easier to install
2) they open space for more airflow in your case
3) you don't need to buy or apply thermal paste
4) they put less stress on the mobo than a heavy air cooler does.

If you have the space in your case and the budget, go for the H100 with 2 extra fans (4 total) in push/pull. That is the best cooling that you will be able to get unless you go custom water cooling.

what!, ALL coolers need thermal paste, but the h100 and the h80 come with it preapplied.
other than that i agree with you.
Score
September 25, 2012 3:19:56 AM

vollman1 said:
Whenever you talk about water cooling, leaking comes up.

I think that someone who has some experience with custom water cooling loops should comment on how much this actually happens.

Whatever that number is for custom loops, I am 100% positive that a leaking factory sealed unit will happen to an extremely lesser degree.

It would be a good thing to know though. So people won't be scared off by the 'boogyman'.

--------------------

I had a Thermaltake Big Water system in my computer (installed by a shop), and I've run it for over 6 years with very few problems. It kept temperatures ice-cold, but was annoying in that it required annual fill-ups of more liquid (I guess some evaporated), and made it very hard to navigate the inside of the case to install new components (the pipes have to be screwed on REALLY tight, and aren't easily undone). The pump also started to make a nasty noise after the first couple of years, and wound up making it sound like a drill inside my computer!
Then today I noticed problems with my graphics card... and when I opened up the case I found to my horror that the cpu block has been leaking! It seems that over the years the water has worked its way through a joint in the cpu block, and was dripping down the cpu power cable and onto the mobo. What's worse is that it has leaked RIGHT onto my graphics card warrenty sticker, thus voiding the 4 years extra warrenty I have on my 1 yr old 570 gtx :( . Fortunately I cleaned off the residue and now my gpu is working again, for now...
I guess my system was so old that it would be considered a 'custom rig now adays' - it had massive pump, water level indicators, and extra coolant bays installed around the case. It was a decent system, but after my recent experience I don't think I'd go for custom cooling again - it's just too risky (even if it works fine for 6 years). Think I'm gonna go for the corsair h100 as it seems like a soild, safe and easy alternative.
Score
October 12, 2012 12:53:06 PM

Quick update: I bought a Corsair H100, but discovered to my annoyance that despite my large case I didn't have enough vent space to fit the very long radiator. You need the distance of two large fans next to one another with appropriate vents for the airflow to come through. I've had to swap it out for the H80, which only needs one fan's worth of space.
Score
November 29, 2012 1:25:38 PM

to vollman1:

Just wondering what 2 extra fans you bought or otherwise recommend are best.

also, im assuming your case is behemoth sized and allows plenty airflow space inluding the h100 and 2 fans, what case do you have?

thx
Score
!