Status
Not open for further replies.

stanistheman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
budget: dont really matter whatever is worth it.

Should i get the best air cooler? or the best liquid cooling? i was thinking between the noc 14 or the antec 920?

Thoughts?

Solution
i5 2500k OC is 4.5Ghz @ 1.36v
Ambient temp is ~20-21'C

idle temps are... low 30s 'C (average is like 32-33'C)

100% load temps peak at low 60s 'C (high is ~61'C)

haha yeah it would look awesome to have the colored loops :)

Edit:

This is all on LOW fan speeds, btw. :D

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Both are great.

I prefer the water cooling units, even though they may be a bit more expensive, because:

1) they are easier to install
2) they open space for more airflow in your case
3) you don't need to buy or apply thermal paste
4) they put less stress on the mobo than a heavy air cooler does.

If you have the space in your case and the budget, go for the H100 with 2 extra fans (4 total) in push/pull. That is the best cooling that you will be able to get unless you go custom water cooling.

pezonator

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Reviews point out that a good cooler is the Thermalright True Spirit. Only weighing 570g and under $30. It all depends what you are doing, you could go for the Zalman CNPS12X which has 3 silent fans and performs very well. I'm just scared a water cooler will leak :p

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Whenever you talk about water cooling, leaking comes up.

I think that someone who has some experience with custom water cooling loops should comment on how much this actually happens.

Whatever that number is for custom loops, I am 100% positive that a leaking factory sealed unit will happen to an extremely lesser degree.

It would be a good thing to know though. So people won't be scared off by the 'boogyman'.

e56imfg

Distinguished

It would be nearly impossible for closed WCers to leak.

As vollman1 said, closed WC units are pretty good, just a little more expensive. The CM Evo has the best price/performance ratio out of all coolers because it's only $30.
It really depends on your specs and your upgrade path.

BTW, the H100 default fans are very loud so the Silverstone APs should go with your purchase :)

Zero_

Distinguished
Toms published an article just yesterday that the D14 is the best air cooler money can buy.

It cools on par with the best $100 closed loop liquid coolers, costs less and is quieter. Only thing is it's massive and looks hideous.

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
LOL

I love my H100 and I rarely hear it at all!

Now, if I could just get my GPU to quiet down....

(4.5Ghz @ 1.36v and 60'C with 100% load, btw)

Edit:

That's with the fans on low setting with 4 fans total. I can get cooler by using medium or high settings.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
+1 for the H100. On the lowest speed setting, the fans are quiet and the cooling is good. I did put 4 fans on it, but I noticed the temps actually went up a bit...I was using dissimilar fans though (2x stock, 2x Blademaster) so I imagine that was the cause.

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

I would challenge you to provide ANY source that shows that the best air cooler beats the H100 with 4 fans. :non:

Even the reviews using the H100 with only 2 stock fans show it on par or above the best air coolers. Adding 2 more fans gives you even greater cooling and hands down makes the H100 the best cpu cooler (not including custom loops).

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
lol

I was considering custom water cooling as well. I even have a parts list.

I can only say two things:

1) Hang out in the water cooling forum if you are even thinking about custom cooling

and

2) All things considered, I went with a factory sealed unit :)

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
To tell you the truth, custom loops scare me. lol

To do a custom loop, you have to get the right parts and you don't want to go cheap there. You have to size it and connect it outside of the case to test for leaks at least 2-3 times. Then disassemble it and install the parts into your rig. Put the parts back into your rig and connect the tubing. Test, test, test again for leaks. Bleed the air out. And then, you have the maintenance....

I am scared and lazy, so I went the easy way with the H100 :na:

To be honest, I also found a deal that I couldn't refuse. I was planning on the H100 anyway but when Black Friday hit, it was game over. Too good a deal to pass up. I wish that I had bought 2 units back then. :na:

stanistheman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Lol aye man could you do me a favour?. what temps are you getting with your cpu? and what cpu you got?

Lol i agree im scared too i mean im buying a 700 dollars video card so you know lol
the main reason i wanted custom is cause it looks awesome in case hahaha

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
i5 2500k OC is 4.5Ghz @ 1.36v
Ambient temp is ~20-21'C

idle temps are... low 30s 'C (average is like 32-33'C)

100% load temps peak at low 60s 'C (high is ~61'C)

haha yeah it would look awesome to have the colored loops :)

Edit:

This is all on LOW fan speeds, btw. :D

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.