AMD Opteron 185 worth it? And a Question.

maxxum

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I currently have an AMD 64 x2 4200+, 4GB DDR memory (actually sees 3.2GB) and ATI X1950XT and have been looking to upgrade. It looks like it will cost around $650 to change to a top Intel Quad or C2D + 4GB memory which I don’t feel like spending. I’ve been thinking about getting the 185 which may be able to take my system into mid 2008 before I have to start thinking about upgrading again. I don’t know much about the Opteron’s. At NewEgg they state HT is only 1000 vs the Athlon’s 2000… What’s the deal there? I though Opteron’s were just cherry picked Athlons or am I wrong? Will I see a good boost in power with the added 400MHz?

I use my computer for heavy photo editing using Adobe Lightroom 1.2, Photoshop CS3 and Image Stacker – all which I often see my CPU usage being topped out. I do light video editing and play Dungeons and Dragons Online which keeps both my CPU cores humming at 75%-90% usage almost 100% of the time. I usually will be working in Photoshop and Lightroom at the same time and have either video (AVI movies) or music (MP3’s) going at the same time. I really torcher my machine… Oh, and I run Visa too. Right now speed is tolerable.

Thanks for any advice.

nevasumma

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
I just got an AMD Opteron 170 and straight out of the gate to 2.8gigs. I never even gave it a chance to run at stock speeds (2.0gig). You'll save $150.00(+/-) and get the same max O.C. If you're not an overclocker then go for the 185...($260.00(+/-) I guess. I know you can use the stock cooler to get 2.8-3.0gigs on either 165/170/180/185 all-though I use the CoolerMaster Eclipse CPU cooler. $45.00 I got it 2 years ago. The 1000mhz HT is actually just a weird thing they like to say with the Opty's. I have mine at 2240/1680/466 right now. IGNORE that 1000mhz misleader.
I use ArchiCAD 10, Photoshop CS2, and other misc. programs ie:media/games etc. at the same time and IT ROCKS.
It benches better than an FX-62 AND even better than an Intel C2D E6600 at some things. "Hope this helps." Bottom line... get an Opty and you'll be happy.

maxxum

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I currently use a Thermaltake CL-P0114 on my CPU, ZALMAN VF900 on my GPU and have an Antec Nine Hundred case… I have zero heat issues even when running both Raptor HDs and heavy 3D software. I hear the 185 runs hot and that it is just about maxed out MHz wise, but I’m not too concerned about OCing. Idle my CPU only runs about 5 degrees over ambient temps.

nevasumma

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
The 185 runs hot when people don't know what they are doing.
It sounds like you will not have any heat issues.
If I were you I would take the 185 to 2.8 and leave it.(if you get it) "FSB increase only." Nothing else like vcore or mem. div. should have to change. Just go in to your bios and change the fsb to 216. That's it! You'll see. It's easy as 1-2-3. THAT particular O.C. will give you a better sys. than what I have cuz you'll be running your RAM at the natural divider and have all higher numbers than me, even though I'm at the same CPU speed. The Opty 185 is better in this regard. Unless you want to really O.C. it than drop the CPU div. to 10x300 or more. Your current rig should hang.

*NOT much better than your 4200+ though, I'm afraid. You'll be paying 260+ for a proc. that only marginally beats the one you have.

**185 Not worth it... to answer your question. The 170 is $150.00 less. ***Your cooler and RAM are good enough for a "stable" O.C.
GOOD LUCK EITHER WAY!!!!!

xristtvz

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
**Bump**
I'm currently using a AMD 3500+ 2.2Ghz CPU and thinking about upgrading to the 185 to prolong the death of my 939. At the moment my 3500 can play games like crysis on all medium specs without any issues, but im sure its bottlenecking my system at least a little. 185 is $235 on newegg now; Worth the investment with all the newer AMD/INTEL chips? I use my system for gaming regularly, but i dont strive for max FPS. Thanks ahead of time!

AMD 3500+ 2.2Ghz
GeForce 7950 GT KO 512mb
2gig DDR400 Ram
Asus A8n Sli deluxe mobo

us13doolittle

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
Hey! :sol:

I took my old 3200+ Venise chip and upgraded to a dual core AMD Opteron 185 Processor, added 2 gigs more of RAM (for a total of 4 gigs), installed a 10,000 RPM Raptor hard drive that I had lying around AND my NEW SAPPHIRE HD 3850 and NOW I HAVE THE HOTTEST COMPUTER ON THE BLOCK! It cooks even without overclocking! I am playing CALL of Duty 4 with all my graphics settings maxed out and get no lag at all.

Now I want to learn how to overclock it! It is supposed to be overclockable to 3.0 gig, isn't that right? However, like I said--it runs great, nice and cool with no crashes, and that's on an old Abit UL8 AGP motherboard.

Now would somebody tell me how I should go about overclocking this Opteron 185? Do I do it all from the Bios. If someone would tell me what to change in the Bios or what other magic I need to perform, I would greatly appreciate it!

Sincerely,

dougconnolly@tx.rr.com :bounce: :hello: :bounce:

From what I have heard the Optys are basically like a Athlonf FX chip (well vice versa). And from some people who have them they say its a good chip and OCs better than even a Athlon X2 BE.

So I would say take it as it could mean a much better performing PC for you.

Oh and why your system sees 3.2GB is because you have a 32Bit OS that can only allocate up to 4GB of RAM including your GPU so it takes off that as well as some other things. Mine has 4GB but only sees 3.3GB (Vista Premium 32Bit).