Sign in with
Your question

Extra 60GB SSD, what should I do?

Last response: in Systems
November 16, 2011 3:30:04 PM

Hi Everyone,
Earlier this year I built a new system for myself with an OCZ Vertex II 60GB as the boot drive. I've quickly filled that up with the OS and various Adobe programs. I have been close to maxing it out for a while now (even though I have nearly all other programs installed on another drive) and when I went to update my wife's iPhone, it failed because there wasn't enough room on the drive... So I think it's time for a bigger drive. I'd love a 240GB just for peace of mind, the 120GB is much more affordable (Newegg has the Vertex III available for around $150 today only). Will the 120GB be large enough or will I find myself struggling again in the future? Also, if I do upgrade, what are some good uses for my existing 60GB drive?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

More about : extra 60gb ssd

November 16, 2011 3:37:21 PM

If you have a Z68 Motherboard use it to accelerate a storage drive thats what I did with my old super talent 64gb. Otherwise just keep it in there, throw some of your more commonly used programs on it and enjoy the extra speed.
a c 83 B Homebuilt system
November 16, 2011 3:43:05 PM

1) 60gb does seem to be small. Look at the sizes of your other app folders to see how much added room you need. Add in a safety/expansion factor and buy accordingly.
Intel, and perhaps others do have 160gb sizes which might work for you.

2) A 60gb drive would absolutely transform a laptop; I have done that, and the results were wonderful.

3) Or, why not get a 120gb drive, put your os and apps on that, and load other apps on the old 60gb drive.
November 16, 2011 3:47:29 PM

No laptop, so I can't go that route. I do really like the idea you both suggested of just running BOTH drives and installing apps on both of them. I don't know how I didn't think of that! That's what great about forums like these, thanks for the idea. I think I'll go with that.
!