Motherboard or PSU DOA?

johnnyDiamond08

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Hello,
I am not entirely sure if I have a faulty motherboard or a bad PSU. I recently bought a new PSU and that did not solve my problem. I also bought a multimeter with no idea how to test for faulty power (Youtube didn't really help), and the only thing that's left I believe is the motherboard. All equipment is very new. All input and advice is greatly appreciated. If there is any other information you need please don't hesitate to ask.

The chances of having multiple 'bad' PSU's is astronomically low; 2% of 2% or 0.04%.

I'd try to Clear CMOS and see if that helps - unplug the PSU for 5 minutes, move the CMOS Jumper (or press the Clr CMOS button) for 5+ seconds, move the CMOS Jumper to it's default position, plug the PSU back in and try again; nice video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

Q - What are you seeing on the screen if anything?

i8myhippo

Honorable
May 20, 2012
Also, what motherboard? I felt like an idiot when I found out that my motherboard has 2 power inputs. One was the huge one that is impossible to miss, and then there was a 4 pin near the top.

johnnyDiamond08

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Nothing is powering on at all. The desktop is "lifeless" so to speak.

This is the motherboard for future reference: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138361

Also I just cleared the CMOS battery using the multiple techniques the video listed, and there is still no power. However, when I plug the power supply into the wall it is making a very quiet "ticking" noise. Does this mean anything significant? Also what else could I do to try to resolve my problem? The fans don't even turn on which I thought at the very least would happen indicating the problem would not be the power supply.

Either you're the (.004%) or the MOBO seems to have a problem. The next step is to Breadboard:

Remove the MOBO from the case
Use (1) stick of RAM
CPU
CPU HSF
24-pin and 4-pin CPU power
Monitor to the MOBO's VGA or DVI port
Review the manual for 2 connection for 'Power' and with as screwdriver or looped wire touch the (2) connections (e.g. PWR+/PWR- or PWR/GND).
NOTHING MORE

If that fails then more than likely you have a bad MOBO requiring a Warranty RMA.

i8myhippo

Honorable
May 20, 2012
But really though, on that motherboard there is a 24-pin power input on the right side, but there is ALSO a 4-pin near the top left corner. Just wanted to make that clear, as that is part of jaquith's post.

johnnyDiamond08

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Yes I have both the 4pin and the 24 pin power both plugged in. Here's a question for you good folks.When I plug the PSU into the wall and flip the (I/0) switch if the PSU is plugged into a spare fan I have shouldn't there at least be the fan spinning?

Yes, the fans connected to the MOBO's FAN HEADERS 'should' spin --- IF there's no problems.

The thing is there is clearly a 'problem,' and it might be: bad MOBO, bad PSU or SHORT. Therefore, the next step, as I outlined, is to Breadboard.

johnnyDiamond08

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
I can't really Breadboard if I don't have any power? Also wouldn't it inevitably be the power supply if I take the power supply out the case plug it directly into the wall, and then plug into a fan the fan should spin. I'm starting to think the PSU was DOA.

Nope -- there's a green wire (switch) on your PSU that needs to be connected to a black ground wire. See paperclip test - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4

Even if the fans 'spin' it doesn't necessarily mean the PSU is good or bad.

johnnyDiamond08

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Okay great news power supply works! So now one would think the motherboard is at fault right? I'm lead to that conclusion because my computer was running fine with current settings (for over 3 months) until about a week ago.

johnnyDiamond08

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Could you explain this "Breadboard process" in depth. I'm confused to how there will be a difference when I can't even power on the computer. How will taking it out of the case and unplugging components one by one change this?

Short of me writing a 'book', anything and I mean connected to the MOBO could be bad, and by bad anything from a dead short, grounding short, etc and cause a total failure. I've seen a shorted mouse cause a post failure.

Breadboarding is removing the MOBO from its case and using the absolute bare minimum 'trying' to start your MOBO (PC). Refer to my 2nd post in this thread and see this video -> (this is what a breadboarding looks like) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=d_56kyib-Ls#t=1281s