1st AMD card, need suggestions

aethasie

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
CPU: Intel Q8300, Quad Core, 2.5 GHz
RAM: 8gb DDR2-800
PSU: 600W (OCZ StealthXStream)
Res: 1280x1024

The computer is an Asus Essentio CG5270 with a different hard drive and PSU.

I want to get an AMD card for this computer that won't bottleneck or be too intensive for this system. It currently has an nvidia geforce gt 220. I will not be upgrading or overclocking any other components. This is just a spare computer mostly used by company so I don't want to go too crazy with it. I have no experience with AMD (all my other cards are nvidia) so I'm not sure which range of cards I should be looking at.

This computer will be used for gaming, but medium settings are good enough and every game does not have to get 60+ fps 100% of the time. They just need to be comfortably playable. Some of the games that might be played on it include World of Warcraft, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Rift, Magicka, Civilization V, Diablo 3, Torchlight 2 and The Sims 3.

Just looking to explore some options right now:
What's the best model of AMD card I can get without being too powerful for my other components?
What's the cheapest model of AMD card I can get that is at least as good as the nvidia gt 220 that will run all the games I listed at least at medium settings?

aethasie

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Right, forgot my resolution. 1280x1024.

I don't want to spend more than $150 on this, but I only want to spend that much if I have to and am hoping to get something under $100. I'd like to figure out what the cheapest card I can get is that will still play the games (even on sort of low settings) and I'd like to know what some of the better ones I could get for this computer are without upgrading anything else. I'm basically trying to figure out what my range of options are; after this thread I'll be doing additional research and price checking before making a decision but I don't even know where to start right now.

4745454b

Titan
5770/6770 (same card, just rebranded) is probably what you want. A bit faster then the GTS250 while a bit slower then the GTX260. For ~$100ish its your best deal. Pretty sure I've seen GTS450 cards for $80-$100, perhaps you'd be more comfortable with one of those?

aethasie

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

Thank you. These look like good suggestions.

Yeah, it's already not really a necessary purchase since it's just a spare computer I don't use much myself, but I thought it would be a good opportunity to try out another type of graphic card.