Sign in with
Your question

CPU is running insanely cool?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 17, 2012 1:52:52 AM

so I just finished this build up this morning... was worried about the post codes I was getting but went with it and put it in the case have it hooked up to my HD TV through hdmi port on motherboard ( using the integrated graphics right now GPU is on the way ) I used a hard drive already loaded with windows 7 from another computer booted it up got the same quick 4 beeps then 4 normal beep post code.. error message on screen gave me that CPU temperature error message people get when their CPU is overheating but when I loaded up windows and got in I turned on Core Temp and was shocked at how low it was... so after installing drives and other stuff I went ahead and use the core unlocker switch and my Athlon II x3 455 unlocked into a quad core ( sadly no L3 cache so basically a quad core Athlon ) stable with no errors... loaded right up. I was concerned with how cool it was and because of the error my bios keeps giving me on boot ( even now it still does it after all the testing ) so I ran prime95 to load the cpu for about an hour... came back no errors... and this is about as high as the temps got

http://i.imgur.com/y0knG.jpg

I have a rosewill challenger case with a hyper212+ on there... I read around most people get a little higher with different coolers... Please note both side panels are off as I haven't fully finished the cable management yet as I'm waiting on my GPU to come in and I live in New england so its about 30 degrees outside and about 50-60 ambient temp in the room... which coincides with the 40 degrees this thing is running idle since the case is actually pushing colder air then the outside room temperature...

I ran some games just now ( even with the integrated gpu which is completely trash btw ) I was getting solid 60 FPS in low resolutions on the few games I tested out.. so the cpu was doing most of the work. and I checked temps and they were about 10-14C.

So my question is should this be about normal with the level of cooling I have and the ambient room temp + the cpu..... Because I keep getting that bios error... but.. I'm writing this right now on the cpu while installing a game watching a 720+ stream and I'm having no slow down... If this is normal and someone knows why the bios keeps giving me this error can you let me know? my last post I put up with this question got no real good answers.
a c 103 à CPUs
February 17, 2012 1:58:25 AM

I would not believe those are your temps unless you live in alaska and your Pc is outside :-)
Check bios temp readings as well as software ones but be aware that core unlocking can often mess with readings, amd overdrive swore blind I was running at minus 256 after unlocking my old X3 435 :-)
Moto
m
l
February 17, 2012 2:03:06 AM

I stress tested the triple cores first... for 30 mins it never went past 24C idled at like 10C. It is very cold in here but like I said.. despite the bios error and weird temps this thing is running fine... It downclocks when its idle... and as I add more task they crank back up right now they are all running full speed since I'm doing like 12 things.. when they finish they clock down and cool down extremely fast... like should I just ignore the cpu temp error for now? it honestly seems like its working.... and the heatsink and cpu never get hot... accept when the 1 hour test was done they were just slightly warm but cooled down fast afterwards.
m
l
Related resources
a c 127 à CPUs
February 17, 2012 2:16:36 AM

I wonder, what kind of BIOS errors? And were you getting them before you unlocked the 4th core? If not, that may have been the issue with it and why the 4th core was turned off.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
February 17, 2012 2:31:00 AM

Ok, cpu temps 101, it is impossible to cool below ambient on air or water
Given that its 50-60c in the room, you cannot have a cpu at 10-14c,
Something is seriously amiss with your sensors, I would lock the fourth core back up and check temps again,
If its running fine thats good, but your temps aren't what they say they are
Moto
m
l
February 17, 2012 2:35:00 AM

jimmysmitty said:
I wonder, what kind of BIOS errors? And were you getting them before you unlocked the 4th core? If not, that may have been the issue with it and why the 4th core was turned off.

no sir I was trained on building computers in highschool it was my shop ( although I was more into actually building the components themselves ) I needed a new computer so I built this myself and started off with a basic boot test outside the case I got a weird Post beep code I didn't know what it was. wasn't in manual or any data on it online.. so I decided to put it in case hoooked it up to HD TV and try it.. The same thing happened and A error message pop up with the CPU TEmperature error thing that lot of people get when their heatsink isn't on right or something so the cpu is running hot. But it doesn't prevent the system from booting so I load into windows afterwards with no problems... As we speak I'm running supreme commander 2 at low resolution to force CPU to do most the work and I'm at solid 60 FPS and typing this with no problems alll 4 cores are cool as can be and not even 100% load. I was getting that error message since the first time the thing was turned on. I unlocked the core after testing everything with the triple core and seeing no problems so I figured I'd try unlock see if it fixes anything and I still get the Error message but everything boots up fine runs fine.. I even downloaded the Temperature monitor program from CPUID to see if I get same results and it too tells me the same temps.... my mobo is at 25C and hard drive is about 40-50 ( mechanical so thats pretty standard )

My problem is that I keep getting this error when I load up yet Everything is working fine... I've stress tested it multiple times for hour at a time and never got any errors.. I been using it for about 4 hours now with no problems.. It's now set on Full power mode so the clock speeds stay 3.3 non stop and the temp went up about 1C but so far its running perfect with no problems or slow downs... so I'm massively confused as to whether I have a problem or the mobo is just being funny and I should ignore it.
m
l
February 17, 2012 2:56:59 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Given that its 50-60c in the room, you cannot have a cpu at 10-14c

Unless he's in a sauna, it's not 50-60c in his room. I'm sure he means 50-60f, which, lo and behold, works out to 10-14c.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2012 2:59:39 AM

Temperatures can be funny sometimes. have you put the latest bios update on your motherboard? If you did maybe revert back to the bios before that one and see if the new bios update messed with your temp sensors.
m
l
February 17, 2012 3:19:01 AM

scout_03 said:
try these to confirm temp http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html and this one http://www.hwinfo.com/ post back picture of both and what is your motherboard model and name cpu sensor could be defective

I Already have all those... they all confirm the same temps.. board is running 25C. its an Asus M5A88-V EVO with AMD Athlon II x3 455 w/ Hyper 212+ cooler. Like i said the bios on start up gives me the post code error syaing CPU over temperature error. but I'm still on the pc right now running everything fine.. I ran some games... ran some stress test... and now watching some sreams in 1080P and everythings still cool and running fine... so idk what the problem is with that thing... if it keeps working ima just ignore it... And the Bios is the original Bios I never update them... you almost never should...
m
l
a c 84 à CPUs
February 17, 2012 3:38:56 AM

did you try the PC Diagnostics V1.12 in the utility from this date for win 7 x 64 2011.05.13 update
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2012 3:39:33 AM

you should overclock the hell out of the cpu
m
l
February 17, 2012 3:44:59 AM

your sensors aren't fine.you should update bios or sth.also you can multitask until force shut down and check the temps.you know it's wrong if it shuts and the temps are still cool.you can touch the cpu afterwards to make sure too.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
February 17, 2012 4:39:07 AM

sewalk said:
Unless he's in a sauna, it's not 50-60c in his room. I'm sure he means 50-60f, which, lo and behold, works out to 10-14c.

Maybe Op can alter the post and stick to one unit of measurement then?
I would still be very impressed with an air set up that idles at 10c over ambient though :-)
Moto
m
l
February 17, 2012 11:26:42 AM

yeah... read again I never wrote 50-60C your the only one who assumed that... I even use farenheit in the first post and continue to say 50-60 ambient room temp...
m
l
February 17, 2012 11:28:54 AM

karcev said:
your sensors aren't fine.you should update bios or sth.also you can multitask until force shut down and check the temps.you know it's wrong if it shuts and the temps are still cool.you can touch the cpu afterwards to make sure too.

if you read... I stress tested for an hour.. while prime95 was running I was on the internet watching viddeos and downloading driver updates... it never shut down... or got remotley hot.... I spent last 5 hours last night Gaming watching 1080+ streams and downloading installing my old programs and never had a problem.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2012 12:41:34 PM

chrisht256 said:
no sir I was trained on building computers in highschool it was my shop ( although I was more into actually building the components themselves ) I needed a new computer so I built this myself and started off with a basic boot test outside the case I got a weird Post beep code I didn't know what it was. wasn't in manual or any data on it online.. so I decided to put it in case hoooked it up to HD TV and try it.. The same thing happened and A error message pop up with the CPU TEmperature error thing that lot of people get when their heatsink isn't on right or something so the cpu is running hot. But it doesn't prevent the system from booting so I load into windows afterwards with no problems... As we speak I'm running supreme commander 2 at low resolution to force CPU to do most the work and I'm at solid 60 FPS and typing this with no problems alll 4 cores are cool as can be and not even 100% load. I was getting that error message since the first time the thing was turned on. I unlocked the core after testing everything with the triple core and seeing no problems so I figured I'd try unlock see if it fixes anything and I still get the Error message but everything boots up fine runs fine.. I even downloaded the Temperature monitor program from CPUID to see if I get same results and it too tells me the same temps.... my mobo is at 25C and hard drive is about 40-50 ( mechanical so thats pretty standard )

My problem is that I keep getting this error when I load up yet Everything is working fine... I've stress tested it multiple times for hour at a time and never got any errors.. I been using it for about 4 hours now with no problems.. It's now set on Full power mode so the clock speeds stay 3.3 non stop and the temp went up about 1C but so far its running perfect with no problems or slow downs... so I'm massively confused as to whether I have a problem or the mobo is just being funny and I should ignore it.

I guess it has something to do with the HDD loaded with Win 7 from another computer. Is the new PC the same as the old PC(another computer) I mean same MB, same spec's? Is the Win 7 OEM or retail?
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2012 1:10:55 PM

The error you are getting, is it the CPU fan warning thing hit F1 to continue kinda deal?
m
l
February 17, 2012 9:38:00 PM

vrumor said:
The error you are getting, is it the CPU fan warning thing hit F1 to continue kinda deal?

well it doesn't say fan... it just says CPU temperature Error thing... F1 to continue... and person above this no.. the hard drive isn't causing it... I do a clean boot with just mobo/memory/cpu/psu installed first. was still getting the same error code.

I'm installing the Video card now it just came in and see if anything happens.. it was running perfect last night on the onboard video I didn't have any lag hang ups or slow down... other then my shitty ISP acting up like usual =_=... pay for 30mbs get 10 standard Charter.
m
l
February 18, 2012 2:06:28 PM

ok so I installed my motherboards reader asus probe II and turns out the mobo thinks the cpu is running at 126C but the max temp they can handle is 77. now the thing what makes me know this is wrong is under full load that temp does not change. Idle its 126C and load with prime95 for 40 mins its still 126C i think the mobos cpu temp is broken. Is there a way to fix this? do you guys suggest updating BIOS? i have Asus Bios updater installed so I can do it whenever.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2012 2:13:08 PM

Try HWMonitor.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2012 2:27:45 PM

1. use core temp and HW monitor
2. visually confirm your fans are running with out any problems.
3. reset your BIOS to default.
4. reset your cpu heatsink/fan, removing old thermal paste and applying new properly
if you still have problems:
5. see if you can't switch the chip or put the chip on another mobo to see if its the chip's sensors. (if it is the sensors and not the actual temp, well just deal with it)
6. don't use a bunch of different software to get readings as it will only lead to the confusion!
m
l
February 24, 2012 11:49:25 PM

yeah I gotta live with it being retarded and broken. The cpu is fine.. I have expensive thermal paste on their and the hyper 212+is a bitch to uninstall so no thanks I will not remove and reseat it... everything working I been streaming in 1080p while playing skyrim and *** with no problems the mobo sensor is just retarded for some reason... bios is default I was thinking about actually updating to see if it fixes because they have stability improvement releases but then i remmebered the chilling memory of the last time I updated my bios on a computer. I shall not go through such nightmares again my friends. I am going to remove the mobo speaker however becaause I'm sick of listening to that annoying beep code everytime I start up lol. Thanks for replies.. I already use all those softwares this isn't really my first rodeo I was just really stressed and annoyed because Asus customer support is worthless they enver answer phone or live chat and they probably have no idea what th issue is and i dont wanna send it back if its working. So yeah I'll just live with the fact I can't access my bios because the computer will freeze because the Bios thinks the cpu is running at temperatures that should melt the thing through the motherboard LOL.

Sorry for the mispellings I can't actually see what I am writing because I'm waiting for a new monitor so I have a old VGA box one from my basement LOL hooked up and the screen is so small I can't read anything its hilarious actually... and this keyboard is old so its not really optimized for typing as all the keys are insanely spaced out. Cheers.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 25, 2012 12:25:34 AM

chrisht256 said:
yeah... read again I never wrote 50-60C your the only one who assumed that... I even use farenheit in the first post and continue to say 50-60 ambient room temp...

I saw that and laughed. Living in a house 120 to 140 f ... I complaun when it gets up to 85.
m
l
!