Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need a water cooling kit for a GTX 580 (gigabyte)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 19, 2011 8:24:56 PM

Hey there folks.
I recently bought a second GTX580 to finish off my upgrading. Problem is the heat sink is stopping me from fitting it in the case. The power supply is located at the bottom of the case :( 
I don't want to buy another case as I just bought this one.
So the other option is to remove the heat sink and stock fans and install a water cooling block.

Now, I don't know which are good ones and the only ones I can see on OC UK are for CPU's.
Can someone recommend me one? It's just to cool a single one of the GPU's as the blocks are £100 (so didn't want to buy two. Plus cooling isnt a prob on the other one)
So yeah, please could someone point me at a good water cooling kit for a GPU?

Thanks in advance.
September 20, 2011 11:35:34 AM

Anyone? :S
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 20, 2011 12:09:19 PM

1 of your options would be to return that card and get either a Zotac or a PNY.Both of those models come with the Closed loop system.Your 2nd option would be to buy an entire WC setup for the GPU which would be much more costly although you could start getting into WC for the rest of your PC.



Which GTX580 do you have and what motherboard are you using?
Related resources
September 20, 2011 12:57:43 PM

Thanks for your reply.
I have the gigabyte 580..

Ah see I was under the impression the cards hade to be the same brand as well. So it can be any two 580's?
This is my motherboard..

I'm not too worried about the price (as long as its nothing stupid) I have just been trying to find GPU cooling sets but I just don't know what I am looking for really.
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 20, 2011 1:20:23 PM

I know that with AMD you can use any card in Crossfire as long as it's the same series,58xx series 69xx series,etc.
I would think it's the same thing with Nvidia but you might want to check on that some more.

I see on that mobo that you have x4 slots.Why don't you use the top x3 slots?Even if they are close together and heat up a bit more it's better than buying a water block.
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 20, 2011 1:23:26 PM

Actually it does look like you can.Got this answer straight from the Nvidia website.

Can I mix and match graphics cards from different manufacturers?
Using 180 or later graphics drivers, NVIDIA graphics cards from different manufacturers can be used together in an SLI configuration. For example, a GeForce XXXGT from manufacturer ABC can be matched with a GeForce XXXGT from manufacturer XYZ.
September 20, 2011 1:43:05 PM

It actually doesn't look like that. For some reason the pic is wrong. The slots are arranged differently. :( 

Thanks for your help. Can you just recomment a WC set up for me? Would like to check it out.
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 20, 2011 1:50:46 PM

According to Nvidia they say you can use a different makers of GPU's for SLI.That would mean you can return your current card and get one of the PNY or Zotac models if you wanted,it is much cheaper.

I'm still a little new to the Water Cooling so the parts I choose probably aren't the best but here's what it would look...

GTX580 Water Block= $118 + Shipping



That's somewhat what it would look like.Of Course your gonna need some tubing and fittings as well.
September 20, 2011 2:34:42 PM

Thanks very much for your help mate. I may return the card for simplicities sake.
I think I will see about returning mine to ebuyer if they will let me.

Thanks again. :) 
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 20, 2011 2:39:19 PM

Yah if seems like more of a hassle in your case since all you need is for it to fit.

Although with all that stuff all you would need as a CPU Water Block and you would have yourself an entire Water Cooling system.
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 20, 2011 4:22:45 PM

For $200 US you could buy a similair if not better bundle.For that price I think you would better off buying the parts seperately.One thing I should mention though is that kit doesn't seem to come with a CPU Waterblock unless your intending to use it with the GTX580.I would look up some reviews on it somewhere first.

Here's a much better combo for a lot cheaper.
September 20, 2011 4:36:29 PM

I have decided in the end that it would be better and cheaper to buy a new case.
I found one that supports the new XL motherboards and has much more room for SLI compatability. :) 
So think I will go with that, will be much cheaper.
Thanks again mate, you have been very helpful.
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 20, 2011 5:12:26 PM

Yah that seems like a good idea.