Sign in with
Your question

Need a good KVM switch

Last response: in Components
February 17, 2012 2:04:48 AM

not sure if this is the right/best area to post this, but anyway, I need a good kvm switch. There are extremely cheap kvm's and there are extremely expensive kvm's. i haven't used one before, but it would seem to me i'd at least want one with DVI connectors as opposed to VGA connectors....that seems to jack the price right there, but i just want a good one, if i have to spend a couple hundred (which seems ridiculous) I will. any info is appreciated.

More about : good kvm switch

February 19, 2012 1:18:41 PM

How may servers do you need to connect?
Do you need local connection or KVM over IP?
m
l
February 19, 2012 5:59:32 PM

thanks for the response, but i've decided to just setup multiple monitors and mice etc...it was just a little setup for myself, nothing major. the main thing i was concerned with was losing monitor power, such as capped refresh rate etc. because of the kvm.
m
l
February 19, 2012 8:10:27 PM

We use KVM over CAT5 with VGA connections at work for docking our laptops outside the lab and remoting into a dummy terminal inside the lab. I wouldn't recomend it. Video quality is poor and while the switches we have allow for some adjustment in quality it basically goes from over-sharp to blurry and ghosting. I'll have to look into the exact model we have, but they cost around $150-200/unit as I recall.
m
l
!