Replaced mobo - Windows 7 won't boot

Luke90

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Hello,

I think from the results of some searches that I've made a rookie mistake and will have to reinstall Windows but if anyone could offer an alternative I would be very grateful.

I built a mini-ITX system and, after a few weeks, decided that some of the glitches I was experiencing were down to the motherboard so I sent it back for an identical (but hopefully non-faulty!) replacement. I've changed nothing else about the system but Windows 7 now crashes early in its boot process (just after the Windows splash screen starts). There's a brief blue screen but it flashes by too quickly for me to read anything. The System Repair tool will run but doesn't find any problems that it can fix.

I've found lots of threads where people complain about the same or similar issues after replacing the motherboard with a slightly different one and end up with no alternative but to reinstall. Are there likely to be any other options in my situation?

Massive thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions!

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
If the mobo is the same make and model you shouldn't have any need to re-install unless the first install was faulty to begin with. It may be that your first installation had hidden defects (because of the defective mobo) and that you are seeing these defects come to light now.

Luke90

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

Well, that's what I had been hoping! The mobo's problems were minor enough that I spent several weeks either ignoring them or fiddling with drivers and software in the hope of eliminating them. It was basically just stuttering from time to time and causing glitches in audio output and very brief moments of unresponsiveness. Does that sound likely to have caused a glitchy installation?

Luke90

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

No, it gets partway through "loading Windows files" and then crashes after flashing up a superficially similar looking blue screen (though it appears so briefly that I can't be sure it's the same).

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Check your BIOS... when they sent you a new motherboard it may have different settings. Check to see how SATA operations are handled. If it is set to "ACHI", then try setting it to "ATA". If it is set to "ATA" try setting it to "AHCI"... I have seen this problem before... it should fix it.

Luke90

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

You, sir, are a scholar and a gentleman (with apologies for clumsy use of the expression if you're actually of the female persuasion)!

Complete and instant success! Such a simple and speedy fix when I was so close to reinstalling completely. Thank you very much indeed and huge thanks to DXRick and Chesteracorgi too!

I should have remembered that setting because I had to change it when I first installed too.

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
lol.. I'm a dude... it's cool.

Sweet, glad it works. I used to see it a lot when I worked for Dell.... :)

Select my answer as the "best solution" if you would please... :)

Luke90

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

I've already given it a vote as a "useful message" but I can't see a "best solution" option. Are you sure that's an option in this bit of the forum? If it is I'll be more than happy to do it.

stevethmusicman

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

I must say thank you as well. I installed and configured programs and then found when I added memory i had a defective Intel mb. Intel aggred and sent me another. I searched and searched but then I found this and it worked perfectly. Aren't forums great?

Thanks,

Steve The Music Man