New computer restarting while installing XP, Vista & Windows 7

mach1threat

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Hello,

I recently put a computer together and I am trying to install windows Vista, and Windows 7.

Computer boots to Bios, computer installs windows 7, and Vista, it says it needs to restart to finish installation, it reboots to bios and then it doesnt complete the installation, it says windows rebooted during installation, you need to reinstall. I've tried multiple times with Vista, and Windows 7.

****"The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected
Error. Windows Installation cannot proceed,. To install Window, click
ok to restart the computer, and then restart the installation"****

Also XP just goes to BSOD before its done loading all the drivers.

I've tried with just 2 sticks of ram, 3 sticks of ram, 2 different video cards, and using the motherboard onboard video. All come up to same results. All is recognized by Bios

Specs:
-I5-2320
-Intel DH67BL
-two 4gig sticks of ddr3 ram
-1 stick of 2 gig ddr3 ram
-Geforce GTX 460 216 core
-Asus Radeon 5450
-OCZ XGXS700 - 700 watt psu from old comp
-Seagate Sata 500GB hd
-samsung bulk pack dvd burner

Thank you very much!

brokenticker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
First try replacing the bios battery on the mobo. Wait 10 minutes before installing the new battery to clear out any possible errors in the bios. it's a cheap possible solution. Also you might need to reflash your bios with an update. If that doesn't do it try a different HDD. It's possible it could be installing onto faulty sectors.

mach1threat

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Thanks for the ideas, i will try that tonight. I also stumbled upon a known issue that i found in the Newegg reviews...

"There is a known issue where the system will reboot instead of shutting down. After testing various configurations, it seems that this board does not do well with power supplies above 500W..."

I'm thinking that my 700watt power supply may be having an effect on it. I forgot to mention last night that my GTX 460 actually doesnt even show video or anything durring bios.

mach1threat

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I've updated the original post with the error message I get when installing Vista, and windows 7.

"The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected
Error. Windows Installation cannot proceed,. To install Window, click
ok to restart the computer, and then restart the installation"

I have done quite a bit of research this morning and I have gathered the following options:

Option 1: Enable UEFI Boot in bios, most systems need this to be enabled to boot with large hard drives (2TB or more).
-My system only has a 500 gig, but it wont hurt to try

Option 2: Change DDR voltage from "Auto" to 2.0V.
-Also try to leave AHCI turned off

Option 3: Could be a Drive controller set in bios causing it to fail.
-I did have a problem with having both my HD and DVD drive hooked up when initially trying to boot. I fixed it by swapping SATA ports, and booting up without the DVD hooked up

Option 4: Try installing windows with just one stick of ram. Sometimes It doesnt like more than 3GB of ram.
-I have 2 sticks of 4GB, and one stick of 2GB

Option 5: As mentioned above Change hard drive, change PSU, Updating Bios