Which is better for gaming, graphic card with hdmi or dvi?

hasnol

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
I confuse to buy graphic card with hdmi or not.. is it the graphic for dvi is same with hdmi? Help me.. thanx..

You will not be using the mobo outputs for gaming because you have to use the video card outputs to use the video card. Hdmi and dvi are both digital, the only difference is hdmi has audio.

G

if you connect to TV for movies -hdmi is nice

if you only connect to a computer monitor - dvi is more common

but like amuffin said, doesn't matter.

Uther39

Distinguished

OK, exactly what cards do you have in mind, what will you be using them for, what will you be using them on, TV/Monitor etc etc and at what resolution.

silverliquicity

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
A HDMI connection may be more easy to live with as it can output sound through TV/monitor speakers, plus you get HD resolution.

To answer your question in the title, I can only say DVI as i have done more PC gaming through DVI than HDMI and it works well.

davidgermain

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005

+1 for that man, the key is what you are going to use it for.
eg, if you have the PC in your living room and use your pc for mainly playing movies and games that everyone in the room is going to like then i would but HDMI higher on the list.
But...
If you are on big screen monitor/LCD in your bedroom with seperate hifi or speakers connected to the sound card on your PC then DVI makes more sence.

As i keep trying to explain to people at work about IT and electronic the answer is never straight forward and dependent on may factors.

hasnol

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
i mean is it the graphic is same if i use DVI instead of HDMI? or the resolution is still same for both?

BTW i used it for the game, not movie at all..

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Then use the DVI mate!
For your info:
DVI- Digital Video Interface(w/o sound)
HDMI- High Definition Multimedia Interface(with sound)
Are we clear?

kulmnar

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
DVI supports resolutions of up to 2560x1600.
HDMI theoretically supports resolutions of up to 2560x1600, but usually video card manufacturers limit the resolution to a maximum of 1920x1080 (unless you hook up a special hdmi to dvi adapter or you hack the graphics card firmware)

For high res gaming above 1920x1080, your best choice is DVI. If you're just playing at 1080p or below, then there is no difference.

vance r

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
i noticed when i use DVI-I to tv looks great, but when i use HDMI to tv the screen i can never get sized correct , i understand the over and underscan, and my resolution is like someboby else said maxxed out with the highest i can get with card any one else ever notice this?

Lol it was a good answer for both threads. It summarizes e very thing nice and neatly, again perfectly.