Sign in with
Your question
Solved

No POST on M5A97

Last response: in Motherboards
December 23, 2012 3:28:35 AM

Hi, happy holidays! I built a computer in July with the following specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (not overclocked yet, stock heatsink)
Asus M5A97 (not EVO or R2.0)
8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333
WD Caviar Blue 500GB
HIS Radeon HD 6670 GDDR5
Antec VP-450 450W

With that in mind, this computer has been with my grandpa for the last month since his old computer broke. But last night, he called me and said it wouldn't start up. The fans do spin and don't stop, but the "MemOK!" light doesn't come on like it normally did and there was no POST beep at all, not even an error code. My grandpa's not the biggest computer nerd but he knows he didn't touch the BIOS at all. Everything is pointing toward a corrupted BIOS that I've observed. I've tried many things so far. I've tried starting it with just one stick of RAM, then no RAM at all, and no graphics card, and taken out the CMOS battery for a few minutes. I have also detached and reconnected the power connectors to the motherboard and CPU. By the way, this graphics card does not need a supplemental PCI-E connector. I'm just wondering if it could be the power supply too, because why on earth would the computer not start if there was no BIOS update that was even attempted? I guess the BIOS could have corrupted itself, I mean yesterday was the 21st...but that seems very unlikely to me. Could the power supply be messed up? That wouldn't make sense, but I just don't know. This motherboard has been relatively hassle-free since I got it.

Please give me some more tips. I am willing to take it to Micro Center or other store and pay a reasonable amount for repairs if need be.

Thank you very much!

More about : post m5a97

a c 554 V Motherboard
December 23, 2012 5:12:55 AM

Hi, Try starting it with only CPU and CPU fan connected. See if the CPU fan is spinning. You should get 1 long 2 short beeps (for no RAMs installed). Is there a case speaker connected to the motherboard?
If you have a spare power supply connect it and test. Or take the power supply from your father's PC and connect it to yours for testing it.
December 23, 2012 1:23:56 PM

alexoiu said:
Hi, Try starting it with only CPU and CPU fan connected. See if the CPU fan is spinning. You should get 1 long 2 short beeps (for no RAMs installed). Is there a case speaker connected to the motherboard?
If you have a spare power supply connect it and test. Or take the power supply from your father's PC and connect it to yours for testing it.

Hi, alexoiu. Thank you for the reply. I have already tried starting it with no graphics card, no RAM and no SATA. I don't have any other expansion cards. However, I have left the USB headers plugged in and the chassis fans. I don't think that makes a difference, should it? There were still no beeps at all and with the speaker plugged in. Unfortunately, I don't have a backup power supply to use. The CPU fan DOES spin, for what it's worth.
Related resources
a c 554 V Motherboard
December 23, 2012 1:30:36 PM

Then it's either a motherboard or a CPU issue. Try testing them at a local shop.
December 23, 2012 1:48:39 PM

alexoiu said:
Then it's either a motherboard or a CPU issue. Try testing them at a local shop.

Ok. One last thing you should know: in August I was messing around with the fan connectors and I plugged what I thought was a controller for the power supply fan into PWR_FAN on the mobo. It was actually a floppy power plug. The computer didn't start up when I did that but it had no resulting effects...unless you think this is the effect?

Thanks

Best solution

a c 554 V Motherboard
December 23, 2012 2:03:01 PM

The pinout for floppy:
1 +5VDC 2 Ground 3 Ground 4 +12VDC
and the pinout for PWr_Fan:
1- Rotation, 2 +12V, 3 Ground
So you probably shorted the 12V rail. But I don't think that this is the cause as the board probably didn't send the signal for the PSU to start. Different thing if you would have done it while the board was functioning.
December 23, 2012 2:04:49 PM

Best answer selected by Amdphenomkde.
!