Automatic System Cooling

Tiro3

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
Hi!

I recently bought a new computer, which got me thinking about various cooling options.

My first question is how much of the fans integrated on other components, like GPU, PSU, CPU, etc. are already automatically controlled by the components themselves? Is this solution good enough? Also, my CPU is water cooled.

My second question is if there is a way to allow the case fans to be automatically controlled, for example in the form of a software program. My case also has an external fan controller unit, does this factor into this?

My ultimate goal is to have a system using just enough fan speed when gaming to keep the components cool, but not have excessively high fan speeds. Also, when the computer idles, fans can be at low speed.

Is this possible? Thanks!

My Spec:

Case: NZXT Phantom Big Tower
MB: MSI Z68A-GD65 (Gen3), Socket-1155
PSU: Corsair TX V2 650W
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80 Hydro Series
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD 1280MB PhysX
SSD: Corsair SSD Force Series 3, 90GB 2.5"
HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB
HD: Western Digital Caviar GreenPower 1TB

Uther39

Distinguished
The best and easiest method of having automatic cooling as you described is to connect all your fans 3 pin headers to the motherboard and let the motherboard control them using its inteli smart fan BIOS controller, this may require you to eplace some or alll of your original case fans that may have 4 pin molex connectors with fans that have 3 pin connectors.

Tiro3

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
Great, thanks for the tips!

I'll look into it when I get home from work... :)

Edit: But if I should settle for either the MoBo or Speedfan options, does it matter if I leave the controller unit on max or min settings? Thanks...