Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Low profile Acer-Need to Update PSU: Need I move the guts?

Last response: in Components
February 17, 2012 12:15:35 PM

I just bought an Acer Aspire x1420g combo from newegg. and a Radeon HD 5450 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Video card to go inside it because the on-board video is awful.

However, it's not working. So after racking by brain i finally realized that DUH, the PSU is only 220W!

I need to either update my PSU and shove it somehow into my current case, or move all the guts into a new Case with updated PSU.

A 500w psu should do the trick. I am not gaming, ever, and I don't have a lot of peripherals but I will be running the video card with dual monitors.

Can someone please suggest:

1) where to find a compatible 500w power supply for my low profile case

or

2) Find a good Case/PSU combo for $60 or less that will fit my current hardware so i can move the guts over to it and have it all work.

or

3) A new low-profile Video card that will run dual monitors with the current 220w setup. One that will handle a lot of the video processing because this PC can only take 4gigs of memory and i'm already using it all with a basic install of win7 64-bit.

I highly doubt i'll find a PSU 500w that will fit this thing. It's a low-profile desktop with a non-standard form factor PSU

For Specs on this PC, check out the newegg link above.
Or Go HERE: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/PT.SGM02.002
Or Here: http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/2011/acer/aspire/AspireX1420G/AspireX1420Gsp2.shtml

The card specs are listed here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/279391-28-power-requirements-specs-popular-graphic-cards-guide

Your help is MUCH APPRECIATED.
a c 158 ) Power supply
February 17, 2012 12:36:13 PM

That video card has a peak power draw of 19W and draws its power from the mobo. I'm surprised that the 220W isn't able to provide sufficient power. A few questions:
1. What are your exact specs? I checked the Acer Website and there is some variation in the processors.
2. What USB devices are you using in the system?
3. Will the system boot without the 5450 installed?
- If yes, then will the system POST with the 5450 installed?
- If the system won't POST with the 5450, then are you getting any BIOS beeps it installed?
- When booting with the 5450 installed, what are the indications you're getting? Fans spin, but no video? Nothing happens when you press the power button?

Here is a goo guide for troubleshotting a boot-no-video situation. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
m
l
February 17, 2012 12:52:56 PM

Rugger said:
That video card has a peak power draw of 19W and draws its power from the mobo. I'm surprised that the 220W isn't able to provide sufficient power. A few questions:
1. What are your exact specs? I checked the Acer Website and there is some variation in the processors.
2. What USB devices are you using in the system?
3. Will the system boot without the 5450 installed?
- If yes, then will the system POST with the 5450 installed?
- If the system won't POST with the 5450, then are you getting any BIOS beeps it installed?
- When booting with the 5450 installed, what are the indications you're getting? Fans spin, but no video? Nothing happens when you press the power button?

Before i answer the questions, let me tell you what happens and what i've tried.

I created a new partition on the PC, installed the video card, then loaded a fresh windows 7 install on the new partition. It froze up. I did this without any peripherals attached to the PC, and the USB 3.0 card removed. This bios disables the on-board video card automatically when you install one in the slot so there was nothing to disable there.

Where does the PC freeze? During the installation of the video card drivers provided by the manufacturer. WHen i use windows to load the bare-bones drivers for windows, the video card works fine but i can't visit any sites with video or the entire PC locks-up--just like it froze during the install. (Even the mouse cursor freezes)

I've also noticed that while using the 5450 card, a few of my USB devices frequently drop and reconnect immediately. (once every 2 or so hours). I attributed this to a power issue...

Answers to your questions:
1)
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Manufacturer Acer
System Model Aspire X1420G
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 645 Processor, 3100 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P01-B1, 4/20/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 808 MB
Total Virtual Memory 8.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.85 GB
Page File Space 4.00 GB

2) I installed a usb 3.0 card inside the PC and then attached two external drives to it. I use a logitech wireless keyboard/mouse, and two 23" monitors.

3) it boots fine without the 5450. It will also post without the 5450 installed. Everything works great without it installed--The onboard card only has a VGA output so I can't use dual monitors with it. That's why i put a new card in. What indicators are there? I explained in this post above.
m
l
Related resources
a c 158 ) Power supply
February 17, 2012 7:56:21 PM

Have you tried using the AMD drivers instead of the GPU mfrs drivers?

With 3 HDDs, a CD/DVD player (i'm assuming you have one), a 95W TDP processor and that video card you're probably trying to pull too much power at startup. Monitors receive power separately therefore don't need to be factored in PSU calculations.

Can you provide the model number for the PSU? Is it a standard ATX PSU? If not, then can you provide the dimensions?
m
l
February 27, 2012 12:20:18 PM

It turns out my problem was the drivers. I just uninstalled and reinstalled without the last option and it worked. Thanks for your help!
m
l

Best solution

a c 158 ) Power supply
February 27, 2012 1:42:30 PM

Glad I could help - have a great day!
March 8, 2012 2:57:00 AM

Best answer selected by adoga.
m
l
August 7, 2012 5:38:59 AM

Hi i'm planning to get the same video card for my pc. I bought the same pc as you have. Will this card work?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
And could you give me any tips on how to get through the process without breaking my computer?

Thanks,
Surge

toppington@yahoo.com

adoga said:
It turns out my problem was the drivers. I just uninstalled and reinstalled without the last option and it worked. Thanks for your help!
m
l
!