Sign in with
Your question

Need advice - Gaming PC build $1000 budget

Last response: in Systems
November 16, 2011 10:17:15 PM

[Note: This is my first build]

Here's what I've came up with see if you can beat the price :) 

CPU
- Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000

MOBO
- GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM
- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

H-DRIVE
- Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

DVD
- ~

TOWER
- Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

POWER SUPPLY
- Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

GPU
- GIGABYTE Super Overclock Series GV-N570SO-13I GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Cord for the PSU since it doesn't come with one
- BYTECC 6 ft. 18AWG Power Cord w/ 3 Conductor PC Power Connector – Black Model POWERCORD-6K

Total: $1,052.98 ($1,210.90 w/ shipping and everything)

Approximate Purchase Date: Within a month no later than Christmas

Budget Range: $1000~ firm however may go over if it's a good deal or huge improvement (like a sale)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: This primarily will be a gaming build. I want to be playing new games such as Skyrim, BF3, MW3, on max settings if possible with no lag. Later on I will upgrade the the hard drive and do multimedia work such as making music.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, speakers and monitor should not be the top priority or included because I can obtain these later on. If you find any really good deals on them however I would appreciate if you mentioned them.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg I've heard is the best and I've been looking at it for years, it apparently has great reliable customer service and even customer reviews which can be really helpful when trying to find a good product. There's a NCIX store near me however while browsing the website I see that they don't have much selection. Ultimately I want to grind the best possible deal into a $1000 budget and whatever website or method that works best I'll do it.

Parts Preferences: I don't care, I'm looking for performance not brand or looks. Performance is key.

Overclocking: Not until I can afford to add on better cooling.

SLI or Crossfire: With my budget I can't afford to SLI/Cfire right away. But will do it for sure in the future.

Additional Comments:

The majority of the money will be focused on non-upgradable things, such as the graphics card and motherboard. Meaning I want to get as little RAM and HD-drive capacity if it means getting a better graphics card, since I can always upgrade that later on.

Top priority parts from greatest to least:
-Graphic/Video card
-CPU
-Motherboard

These are top priority. Ultimately I want the best possible setting capabilities for games plus no lag/frame rate issues

-Cooling devices/ fans (because I've heard stories of power supplies overheating and frying everything. That would be a nightmare.)
-Power Supply (explained above)
-OS - 64 bit
-DVD drive(s)
-Cords cables (If they aren't included include them please)

-RAM
-Hard Drive

make these as low as possible. 250GB guaranteed add on for HDD.

-Monitor
-Mouse /Keyboard

These aren't very important I can buy these at any store later on. Monitor however, if you find a good deal on let me know.

-Tower

As long as it's sturdy and works I don't care what it looks like.
November 16, 2011 10:47:20 PM

Let's define some terms
Overclocking: Taking the out of box CPU/GPU (graphics card)/RAM settings (cpu's normally run at ~3.0GHz) and cranking it up to run faster (like making a CPU go at 4.0GHz). But by overclocking, the CPU/GPU/RAM generates more heat, therefore you need some better cooling.
SLI/Crossfire- Using 2 Nvidia (SLI) or AMD (Crossfire) video cards and connecting them with a cable to perform as one card, therefore producing better video quality. (2 GTX560Ti's is better than 1 GTX580)

BIOS configuring: Almost none, and most Motherboards have cool BIOS with mouse and stuff, so no more frightening DOS like stuff. (UEFI BIOS)

I would recommend a computer with:
CPU: Intel core i5 2500k
GPU: At least a GTX 560Ti (preferably a gtx570)
PSU: At least 750W from a respectable company (Seasonic, Corsair, antec)
Motherboard: A z68 chipset motherboard that is Intel socket 1155, and with revision B3
Check the local store and see if they have any of those, and if they do, come back and tell me the prices, then we can figure it out from there.
m
l
November 16, 2011 11:42:11 PM

r0aringdrag0n said:
Let's define some terms
Overclocking: Taking the out of box CPU/GPU (graphics card)/RAM settings (cpu's normally run at ~3.0GHz) and cranking it up to run faster (like making a CPU go at 4.0GHz). But by overclocking, the CPU/GPU/RAM generates more heat, therefore you need some better cooling.
SLI/Crossfire- Using 2 Nvidia (SLI) or AMD (Crossfire) video cards and connecting them with a cable to perform as one card, therefore producing better video quality. (2 GTX560Ti's is better than 1 GTX580)

BIOS configuring: Almost none, and most Motherboards have cool BIOS with mouse and stuff, so no more frightening DOS like stuff. (UEFI BIOS)

I would recommend a computer with:
CPU: Intel core i5 2500k
GPU: At least a GTX 560Ti (preferably a gtx570)
PSU: At least 750W from a respectable company (Seasonic, Corsair, antec)
Motherboard: A z68 chipset motherboard that is Intel socket 1155, and with revision B3
Check the local store and see if they have any of those, and if they do, come back and tell me the prices, then we can figure it out from there.

I found a few bundles with a z68 type motherboard that comes with the i5, bundle is $430~

http://www.ncix.ca/search/?categoryid=0&q=intel+i5+2500...

uhmm does the specific type matter? the cheapest GTX 570 they have is $330 ($30 off) =

http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=59238&vpn=ENGTX570%20D...

for the power supply it's $100~

http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=59617&vpn=P1750SNLB9&m...

That's roughly $800-900 for the motherboard, power supply, processor and graphics card. I'm going to look on newegg and see what I can find.

EDIT;

For $1,137.74 I get;

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
DVD ROM OEM
GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2GB
Intel Core i5 2500k 3.3Ghz
Z68 B3 1155
500GB hard drive (plus my 250gb hard drive)
Coolmaster ATX mid-tower
Coolmaster extreme power 600W
8GB RAM
m
l
Related resources
November 17, 2011 12:29:17 AM

www.directcanada.com < Free shipping.

Don't know how much times I've endorsed this.

Anyway, Newegg does have some amazing bundles but everything has a $9.99 shipping lol. So you'd be wasting money than saving it.
m
l
November 17, 2011 12:46:44 AM

cutebeans said:

Anyway, Newegg does have some amazing bundles but everything has a $9.99 shipping lol. So you'd be wasting money than saving it.

Thanks I'll try that website.

So with the setup roaringdragon suggested would that be able to play Skyrim on max settings? Or similar games? With no framerate issues/ lag.

Quote:
For $1,137.74 I get;

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
DVD ROM OEM
GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2GB
Intel Core i5 2500k 3.3Ghz
Z68 B3 1155
500GB hard drive (plus my 250gb hard drive)
Coolmaster ATX mid-tower
Coolmaster extreme power 600W
8GB RAM

Is this a good deal? Could anyone find any better ones? I could do for a cheaper OS and lower RAM and use what I saved towards a better graphics card. Or would it not matter? Also what kind of screen resolution would I need for this graphics card? I prefer "smaller" screens in the 15"-25" range so would it matter? Then again I've been using a "15 for some time now (it's flatscreen, not one of those oldschool ones)and have grown accustomed to it so maybe my opinion is bias? I plan on doing some hard core gaming on this future PC so I don't know if I'd like a bigger screen. Then again, can't you make the resolution smaller for the game but wont affect the performance? Sorry I'm asking so much.
m
l
November 17, 2011 2:16:06 AM

cutebeans said:

Actually on newegg the total comes to $966 then because of HST/shipping it comes to $1,137 which is ridiculous.

Sadly direct canada doesn't have the motherboard I need ( it does, it's just not in stock) so yeaaah. Even if it did it still comes to nearly the same price as newegg.

You see, the problem really isn't the shipping. The shipping in newegg in total is like $50 which isn't much. However, we have a thing called HST, which in this case is $100. I'm just worried if direct canada has it as well, even though it's not showing me it now.

Few questions:

if I'm going to be getting the GTX 570, the Z68 mobo, i5 2500k processor, and a 600W~ power supply, what about the other specs. What would be the difference from getting only 4GB ram? 6gb? 8gb? since I have a 250hd drive should I just get a 250gb and add it with my 250gb and bam 500gb disk space? Would less disk space decrease performance? I would probably download 20~30 games (over time, probably only 10 games within first few months) and only mandatory programs. I don't download movies or music. So I don't know if 500GB would be sufficient.

Also, do I need cooling or fans? What's cooling/ this liquid cooling or whatever and how does it work? Would I need that? I'm really worried about something overheating and would rather spend money preventing it than buying warranties. Thanks.
m
l
November 17, 2011 10:35:39 AM

thetechnoobguy said:
Actually on newegg the total comes to $966 then because of HST/shipping it comes to $1,137 which is ridiculous.

Sadly direct canada doesn't have the motherboard I need ( it does, it's just not in stock) so yeaaah. Even if it did it still comes to nearly the same price as newegg.

You see, the problem really isn't the shipping. The shipping in newegg in total is like $50 which isn't much. However, we have a thing called HST, which in this case is $100. I'm just worried if direct canada has it as well, even though it's not showing me it now.

Few questions:

if I'm going to be getting the GTX 570, the Z68 mobo, i5 2500k processor, and a 600W~ power supply, what about the other specs. What would be the difference from getting only 4GB ram? 6gb? 8gb? since I have a 250hd drive should I just get a 250gb and add it with my 250gb and bam 500gb disk space? Would less disk space decrease performance? I would probably download 20~30 games (over time, probably only 10 games within first few months) and only mandatory programs. I don't download movies or music. So I don't know if 500GB would be sufficient.

Also, do I need cooling or fans? What's cooling/ this liquid cooling or whatever and how does it work? Would I need that? I'm really worried about something overheating and would rather spend money preventing it than buying warranties. Thanks.

I would recommend a higher PSU for the 570 if you are going to be SLIing the system anytime. Also the Harddrive won't slow the system, it might slow the read/write times but not the system. Get a HDD that is running at 7200RPM, most modern ones that aren't power saving ones run at 7200RPM. The most RAM you need is 8GB, but you can go with 4GB now and upgrade to 8GB later. On average, a game takes 15GB of space. So 500GB might be cutting close, but it'll be sufficient if you hook the harddrives in RAID0 config.
Cooling: You can suffice with the stock fan, but you won't be overclocking too much with the stock fan. If you want to overclock, I would recommend getting the CM Hyper 212+ for aircooling. As for liquid cooling, most "liquid cooled" systems are all-in-one systems, so you won't need to worry about tubes, although extreme liquid cooling involves tubes and stuff like that. Although I wouldn't recommend liquid cooling because you worry about leaking.
m
l
November 17, 2011 10:32:27 PM

r0aringdrag0n said:
I would recommend a higher PSU for the 570 if you are going to be SLIing the system anytime. Also the Harddrive won't slow the system, it might slow the read/write times but not the system. Get a HDD that is running at 7200RPM, most modern ones that aren't power saving ones run at 7200RPM. The most RAM you need is 8GB, but you can go with 4GB now and upgrade to 8GB later. On average, a game takes 15GB of space. So 500GB might be cutting close, but it'll be sufficient if you hook the harddrives in RAID0 config.
Cooling: You can suffice with the stock fan, but you won't be overclocking too much with the stock fan. If you want to overclock, I would recommend getting the CM Hyper 212+ for aircooling. As for liquid cooling, most "liquid cooled" systems are all-in-one systems, so you won't need to worry about tubes, although extreme liquid cooling involves tubes and stuff like that. Although I wouldn't recommend liquid cooling because you worry about leaking.

First I'd like to say you've been super helpful and have taught me a lot.

I'm actually thinking about doing SLI later on when I have money. So what power watt do you recommend if I get the gtx 560 Ti and will later SLI and for the gtx 570 (I haven't decided if I'll get the 560 or 570)? Because I will for sure do it in the future, however I'm concerned if I get a let's say a 1000W would that use all the 1000W and make my electricity bill really high? Should I get a eco-friendly one (I've seen them before) or does it just only use the power it needs, because I've heard of PSU's hoarding as much power as possible.

I plan on getting 4GB then and upgrading later on.

Also I'm really concerned with what brand is reliable and trustworthy to buy things from.

I really do not want this happening to me;

Quote:
Other Thoughts: Continued: I take out the card, pop in my old 5850, and everything runs flawlessly - no crashing, nothing. I know it's the card. I register for an RMA, and send it out (a week after having purchased this). The RMA finally gets there 2 days ago (10/19/2011). Today (10/21/2011) it was inspected, and apparently is missing the product serial number. Now, I absolutely know for a 100% fact I DID NOT remove the serial number. I know exactly what it is, what it looks like, and would never think of removing it. So, now 3 weeks and $330 later, I'm completely <blank> out of my money and a broken card, which is currently being shipped back to me, and will not be replaced by Newegg, nor EVGA as they have the same serial number policy. Thank you for sending me a broken card with no serial number.

[source]

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-130-6...
m
l
November 17, 2011 10:42:09 PM

thetechnoobguy said:
First I'd like to say you've been super helpful and have taught me a lot.

I'm actually thinking about doing SLI later on when I have money. So what power watt do you recommend if I get the gtx 560 Ti and will later SLI and for the gtx 570 (I haven't decided if I'll get the 560 or 570)? Because I will for sure do it in the future, however I'm concerned if I get a let's say a 1000W would that use all the 1000W and make my electricity bill really high? Should I get a eco-friendly one (I've seen them before) or does it just only use the power it needs, because I've heard of PSU's hoarding as much power as possible.

I plan on getting 4GB then and upgrading later on.

Also I'm really concerned with what brand is reliable and trustworthy to buy things from.

I really do not want this happening to me;

Quote:
Other Thoughts: Continued: I take out the card, pop in my old 5850, and everything runs flawlessly - no crashing, nothing. I know it's the card. I register for an RMA, and send it out (a week after having purchased this). The RMA finally gets there 2 days ago (10/19/2011). Today (10/21/2011) it was inspected, and apparently is missing the product serial number. Now, I absolutely know for a 100% fact I DID NOT remove the serial number. I know exactly what it is, what it looks like, and would never think of removing it. So, now 3 weeks and $330 later, I'm completely <blank> out of my money and a broken card, which is currently being shipped back to me, and will not be replaced by Newegg, nor EVGA as they have the same serial number policy. Thank you for sending me a broken card with no serial number.

[source]

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-130-6...

I NEVER consider the reviews unless it is VERY detailed. Chances are (I read this guy was like "RAM was DOA, didn't work HURR DURR) and chances are, it's not the RAM, but probably the CPU or motherboard.

As for the PSU supply:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gtx-560ti-...
It says each 560Ti uses 170W of power, 170 x2 = 340W
Then using the Intel CPU = 95W
95W+340W+100W (other stuff that require power) = 535W
I wouldn't go with anything higher than 800W.
Also I would recommend a PSU that is 80+ Bronze certified, by that it means that a non-profit company tests the PSU and it says that the PSU is 80%+ (bronze i believe is 85%) of the power used is going to the computer and not lost as heat or some other energy, I think...
m
l
November 19, 2011 11:39:10 PM

r0aringdrag0n said:
I NEVER consider the reviews unless it is VERY detailed. Chances are (I read this guy was like "RAM was DOA, didn't work HURR DURR) and chances are, it's not the RAM, but probably the CPU or motherboard.

As for the PSU supply:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gtx-560ti-...
It says each 560Ti uses 170W of power, 170 x2 = 340W
Then using the Intel CPU = 95W
95W+340W+100W (other stuff that require power) = 535W
I wouldn't go with anything higher than 800W.
Also I would recommend a PSU that is 80+ Bronze certified, by that it means that a non-profit company tests the PSU and it says that the PSU is 80%+ (bronze i believe is 85%) of the power used is going to the computer and not lost as heat or some other energy, I think...

So I shouldn't pay attention to reviews? Because sometimes there's a lot of people saying the same thing for example I was looking at this card however everyone was saying it's common for it not to work upon booting. Besides I've heard that newegg takes reviews seriously and if there's fake reviews or something they delete them.

I've decided that I would rather get a gtx 570 than a 560Ti because I'm reading things saying that the gtx 570 offered a huge improvement. Could I SLI a 560Ti and a GTX 570 or can you only SLI the same card (or exact same card?)
Mobo: Z68 chipset, 1155 revision B3 motherboard (why do you want to me to get this specific type of motherboard? I can easily find mobo's with all three requirements however within the inexpensive bundles I find ones without B3 instead revision 3.0, or without B3 at all, etc)

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductCombos.aspx?Item=N8...

Please look there and tell me if you see any good bundles. Now that we've figured out "Exactly" what I'm getting, we now need to get the best deal of it.
m
l
November 19, 2011 11:45:01 PM

No, I'm saying you shouldn't pay attention to reviews such as: "Came in DOA." Not descriptive enough. For all we know, the person could have bought a motherboard from a friend and believes it's working when it's not, and blames something else. To SLI, you should have 2 of the same cards, most times, if they're not, they won't work together.
m
l
November 20, 2011 12:05:11 AM

r0aringdrag0n said:
No, I'm saying you shouldn't pay attention to reviews such as: "Came in DOA." Not descriptive enough. For all we know, the person could have bought a motherboard from a friend and believes it's working when it's not, and blames something else. To SLI, you should have 2 of the same cards, most times, if they're not, they won't work together.

Z68 chipset, 1155 revision B3 motherboard (why do you want to me to get this specific type of motherboard? I can easily find mobo's with all three requirements however within the inexpensive bundles I find ones without B3 instead revision 3.0, or without B3 at all, etc)

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
>Add to Cart
>Combo deals
>[There they are]

Please look there and tell me if you see anything that will work since you know a lot more than me, the link I gave you is a specific group of bundles for the i5. Now that we've figured out "Exactly" what I'm getting, we now need to get the best deal of it.
m
l
November 20, 2011 12:35:08 AM

none of the PSUs suggested is of a good quality
look somewhere else
m
l
November 20, 2011 12:46:25 AM

r0aringdrag0n said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJcE2alQPvY
My bad, it only affects p67 and h67 chipsets, ignore my previous statements. Also somehow I can't view the stuff from Newegg.ca, it redirects me and nothing shows up

Ok I'm confused. Can you explain in laymans terms for me?

Hmm. Okay if it's not too much trouble, go to newegg.com, search "i5 2500k" and click the first one, with 1k+ reviews, then add to cart then combo deals.

I just noticed that from newegg.com there is more combo deals than from .ca however they do also have the same deals from .ca

[SOME OF THEM ARE U.S. EXCLUSIVE SO PICK AS MANY COMBOS THEN WE WILL SEE WHAT I CAN GET]

madchemist83 said:
none of the PSUs suggested is of a good quality
look somewhere else

Can you suggest some then please? And where do you recommend I look?
m
l
November 20, 2011 1:03:11 AM

in general for reviews look either on jonnyguru or hardwaresecrets .. there is one canadien site hardwarecanucks
for particular models
Corsair TX V2 models, OCZ ZS models, PC Power and Cooling MK II .. etc
let me know what r ur final thoughts on SLI and OC and then we'll talk wattage
m
l
November 20, 2011 1:13:34 AM

I would suggest against Biostar mobos
m
l
November 20, 2011 1:14:42 AM

Yeh, but biostar isn't bad, it's just not famed. The big 3 are ASUS,MSI, and Gygabyte
m
l
November 20, 2011 1:17:31 AM

and Asrock
Biostars quality is below par .. also MSI has been lacking quality
I would say as far as reliability and build quality goes it's ASUS, Gigabyte, Asrock
but there is a always a chance to get a DOA board no matter what brand it's under
m
l
November 20, 2011 1:36:32 AM

Quote:
My bad, it only affects p67 and h67 chipsets, ignore my previous statements. Also somehow I can't view the stuff from Newegg.ca, it redirects me and nothing shows up

I still don't understand what you meant by that.

Also I can't see those links. It's link me to a blank page and sends this page to newegg home. Can you give me a hint/list of what is in the bundle so that I know what to look for?
m
l
November 20, 2011 1:45:00 AM

Intel i5 2500k w/:
1.BIOSTAR TP67B+ LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
2. GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3
3. GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

You can ingnore the p67 h67 thingy.
m
l
November 20, 2011 1:54:12 AM

r0aringdrag0n said:
Intel i5 2500k w/:
1.BIOSTAR TP67B+ LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
2. GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3
3. GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

You can ingnore the p67 h67 thingy.

Okay so it doesn't matter if it's P67 or whatever? What's the difference between that and the Z68 what you initially recommended? Is it better or worse?

Remember it's important for me to get a good mobo with my GPU and CPU as it's among the top three prioritized. So whatever is better I'll strongly consider more than the other. Unless it's just a slight difference.
m
l
November 20, 2011 2:15:29 AM

z68 is newer.
m
l
November 20, 2011 2:18:23 AM

Here's a bundle I found w/ adding a GTX 570 in:

CPU
- Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000

MOBO
- MSI H67MA-E35 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM
- CORSAIR XMS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Ultra Stable Desktop Memory

H-DRIVE
- Seagate Barracuda Green ST1500DL003 1.5TB 5900 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

DVD
- LG DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH24NS70

TOWER/POWER SUPPLY
- RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply

GPU
- GIGABYTE Super Overclock Series GV-N570SO-13I GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Total: $934.99 ($1,093.98 w/ shipping and everything)
m
l
November 20, 2011 2:36:02 AM

Here's yet another newegg bundle...

CPU
- Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000

MOBO
- GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM
- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

H-DRIVE
- Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

DVD
- ~

TOWER
- Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

POWER SUPPLY
- Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

GPU

And whatever this is for.. :

- BYTECC 6 ft. 18AWG Power Cord w/ 3 Conductor PC Power Connector – Black Model POWERCORD-6K

Total: $1,052.98 ($1,210.90 w/ shipping and everything)
m
l
November 20, 2011 2:50:02 AM

that's a good bundle .. if u willing to spend 1200
i'm trying to fit same deal into 1k
m
l
November 20, 2011 2:56:38 AM

Yeah. That bundle is pretty good. That powercord is for the PSU.
m
l
November 20, 2011 9:03:22 PM

madchemist83 said:
that's a good bundle .. if u willing to spend 1200
i'm trying to fit same deal into 1k

Yeah I am however I'm going to have to get someone to lend me money but if it's worth it I'll get it.

So the PSU is up to your standards? Would that PSU hold a second GTX 570?

Also is that GPU I selected any good/reliable? It is the only thing that's not apart of the bundle so I can change it. It appears to be one of the fastest GTX 570's on newegg and looks nice with it's three fans :) .
m
l
November 20, 2011 9:48:57 PM

I would go with a 750W PSU to be safe, although the 650W could support it, although Nvidia recommends 600W for just one card I think
m
l
November 20, 2011 10:32:17 PM

550W for one card
I would recommend to go at least 750W just to be safe and don't use 100% of ur PSU output
video card is good as it get's
m
l
November 20, 2011 10:32:18 PM

r0aringdrag0n said:
I would go with a 750W PSU to be safe, although the 650W could support it, although Nvidia recommends 600W for just one card I think

It's in the bundle so I can't change it. If you could find out if it could support a second card that would be very helpful.
m
l
November 20, 2011 10:34:32 PM

madchemist83 said:
550W for one card
I would recommend to go at least 750W just to be safe and don't use 100% of ur PSU output
video card is good as it get's

Ok thanks. When I get a second card I will just buy a new power supply. Since I can't change the PSU as it's a bundle.

Yeah that card was the best I could find. However people have been saying that specific model is common to have boot-up problems.
m
l
November 20, 2011 10:35:28 PM

I guess u'll just have to go with single GPU
m
l
November 20, 2011 11:38:16 PM

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gtx-570-us...
Go to specifications, then scroll down, and under Graphics Card Power (W), it says 219W.
Let's do some math:

219W x2 (SLI)
95W (CPU)
Other components 300W (im being nice and making it 300W, doubt it takes that much tho)
Total: 614W, More than enough for SLI, since the rest of the components do not use 300 W

Edit: You can also use this:
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
m
l
November 20, 2011 11:46:26 PM

r0aringdrag0n said:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gtx-570-us...
Go to specifications, then scroll down, and under Graphics Card Power (W), it says 219W.
Let's do some math:

219W x2 (SLI)
95W (CPU)
Other components 300W (im being nice and making it 300W, doubt it takes that much tho)
Total: 614W, More than enough for SLI, since the rest of the components do not use 300 W

Edit: You can also use this:
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Thanks, I bookmarked that website. So I don't need to get another one when I get another card, that's a relief. So I guess it's decided that I'm going for that bundle? I just need to come up with the extra $200 covering the shipping and HST. Just a question the mobo in that bundle is Z68 however it's not revision B3 from what I can see, what's special about revision b3? It's not UEFI BIOS but it has this "touch" BIOS thing.

Also I found this used monitor online for $55 it's a 20" 1680 x 1050 resolution I'm thinking of getting that.
m
l
November 20, 2011 11:55:43 PM

Ignore the b3 thing, it only affects motherboards with p67 and h67 chipsets. The b3 revision upgraded the SATA connector on the motherboard. In the P67 and H67 systems without b3 revision, the 6gb/s sata connector will degrade and become unusable. So ignore it, doesn't concern z68 MoBos
m
l
November 21, 2011 11:44:49 PM

Alright thanks. So here are my remaining thoughts/questions:

1) Has it been officially decided that this is best bundle out there for the best price for me?

2) Would 1680 x 1050 resolution be good enough?

3) How does newegg's return policy work? what are the return policies for each thing? Is it covered by newegg or by the specific company?

4) Let's say one part of the bundle is DOA, would I have to RMA everything back since it's in a bundle?

5) As for the GPU; I don't know if that card is reliable. I'm wondering if I should go for the EVGA because apparently it has a lifetime warranty.

6) This is my first build so if you know of any really good guides that could apply to my build I would appreciate it (as in, building the computer it self)

7)This is my first build so I don't know how to configure BIOS so if there is a easy to understand guide I would appreciate it.

Thanks
m
l
November 22, 2011 12:19:36 AM

1. No cause there is always be something cheaper and better
2. ur personal preferrence .. imo 1080p is a standart right now
3. not sure .. but RMA is pretty good
4. again not sure
5. it's pretty reliable and most likely will be obsolete by the time warranty expires
6,7 - google it
:) 
m
l
!