CPU vs Memory Configuration

irelative

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
Hello everyone.

I have a few questions regarding the configuration of a PC that I plan to buy in the near future.
I am planning to chose the best possible components for the allocated budget, and I need your help in doing so. I know how important choosing a good chipset is in the overall system configuration as well as how important it is for all the components to be - so to say - "synchronous" in their specifications. Therefore, I was planning to go with the Sandy Bridge i7 2600 (BX80623I72600) and build up the rest of the configuration from there. I started to pick for the most convenient price vs performance components that I could find; Unfortunately, since the budget is an important factor, I had to choose a motherboard in the range of 160-190$, which led me to the MSI P67A-C45 B3, running Intel's P67 chipset. (I am not up to date with the latest in chipsets industry anymore, gone are the days when I was a computer ninja) - so I thought that picking a chipset built by Intel for an Intel processor might be the wise choice since Intel seem to have improved their chipsets (criticized back in the days - or so I remember). Another reason for choosing the motherboard was the RAM frequency, which as we all know is an important factor in the performance of the system. I was happy to notice that this MSI motherboard supports RAM memory up to 1600 mhz, even 2200 if overclocked (though I am not not interested in this aspect). Therefore I picked the Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Dual channel kit for the job. It was only after, when surfing on Intel's site, I discovered that the Sandy Bridge i7 2600 (BX80623I72600) supports only DDR3-1066/1333 memory types. Digging further, I discovered that - in fact - all the processors on LGA1155 only support 1066/1333 memory. So to call things on their name, I am very confused why did MSI design a motherboard that supports up to 1600 mhz memory (even 2200) if all the CPUs designed for that motherboard will only get 1333 mhz out of that memory. (interesting isn't it?) - therefore I am puzzled whether to pick the corsair memory kit, or another 1333 mhz kit. Any advice is highly appreciated, I am aware that this is far from a super duper high end gaming system and I could go a lot higher with the configuration but since the budget is a big factor, my pockets are already starting to hurt as it is. So therefore, since I am not up to date with the latest chipsets, I would appreciate if you guys could give me a good advice on what chipset I could pick for this processor, as well as what are the memory limitations involved that would or would not make the 1600 mhz memory kit worth buying. for the record, I am planning to add the Leadtek WinFast GTX 560 2GB DDR5 256-bit as the GPU, and a 2 TB Seagate SATA-III 7200 RPM 64 MB Barracuda (ST2000DM001), all of which I hope to be able to power with a Cooltek CVS 550W PSU. I am also interested if I picked the right PSU for the job, since I wasn't able to find what the power consumption in Watts is for the Leadtek GTX 560 (I'm estimating somewhere around 350W).

Note that I am not a gamer that plans to play Crysis 2 or all the latest games etc, I need this system mainly for Flight Simulator X and other couple of flight simulation software. To the best of my knowledge, what I picked will do the job. I know this was a long thread, but I tried to explain everything as clear as possible.
Looking forward to your suggestions.
Thank you in advance.

ali2837

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
What is your budget?

the best chipset is either P67 or Z68, which just adds on integrated gpu support and ssd caching to the p67.
1600mhz memory is the best to get, it does increase performance,and although it is automatically underclocked, you can set it to xmp settings (in bios) to run it at full speed.
If you can afford it, the gtx 560ti is a big jump. If you don't overclock, your psu should be fine.
Finally, you might be best off with just 1tb hdd and an ssd for os and fsx

irelative

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
hi there. budget is around 1000 euros right now. so I think I'll go with the SSD and 2TB HDD since I can afford both. about the Z68 - I'm not very interested about the integrated GPU support, however, the ssd caching sounds very interesting. is that a must have if you want to use an SSD as well? by must have I mean performance wise. I was thinking of a synchronous NAND since I will be using a lot of Photoshop. Which is also the reason why I asked about the "ssd caching must have". Thanks.

ali2837

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
ssd caching is where it puts your most commonly used data into an ssd cache (upto 60/64gb) if you have more than that, you might as well just put os and commonly used programs on it, but it saves you the trouble. SSDs work fine on p67 though.
Also are you overclocking, if so, get i72600k, or not you could just get a h67 board (but no ssd caching, integrated gpu, or ocing)
i'm not an expert of the differences between synchronous, asynchronous, Nand ssds, best to ask in ssd forum :D