XFX Radeon 6970 is undetected.

A couple weeks ago I bought a new 6970 to replace my old card, a 5870. When I first put in the 6970 nothing worked - I got no visual, the fan ran full blast, and i got a beep code from my mobo that said it wasn't detecting any video card. I contacted XFX to see if it was my card, and they thought it was so I sent it in. Nothing was wrong with it but they sent me a replacement anyways. That one doesn't seem to be detected either. Could it be my PSU? It's a 650 watt PSU which worked fine with my 5870 and i read that the 6970 actually uses slightly less power. The PSU only has 2 6 pin power cords though and no 8 pin - not sure if 8 pin is required or not.

Anyways help would be appreciated. I also should mention that I updated the bios on my mobo(Asus P6X58D Premium)and made sure the latest drivers were installed for the GPU and still nothing.
5 answers Last reply
More about radeon 6970 undetected
  1. Did you install the drivers for the card? How about removing the drivers for the previous card?
  2. Did the card also come with a molex adapter? Try that out before giving up on it.
  3. it did not come with any adapters and yes i did remove the previous drivers and install the drivers off the CD they gave me. i still get the same beep-code and no visual output at all.
  4. Make sure you're plugging in the proper power cables to the card. I believe you'd need at least a 6 pin and an 8 pin power connector for that card. Correct me if I'm wrong. It also may not be booting because your PSU is insufficient. What PSU are you using?

You need the 6 pin and an 8 pin. Get a 6 to 8 pin adapter. It should work fine.
  5. Like i said earlier i am using a 650 watt ULTRA PSU with NO 8 pin connector. I should have tried getting an adapter to begin with... I guess I thought it was fine because I was told the wattage would be fine. Kind of a noob move on my part I guess! I'll try that and let you know the results. Thanks for the help so far.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics