Office 2003 Pro cdfs problem

soltisolti

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I have a new Samsung R519 laptop with Windows 7 home preinstalled. I want to install Office 2003 Pro but the disk is not being read, it just whires and clicks. Checking in explorer it says file type CDFS. When I look in system information/system drivers it is Started= NO, StartMode= DISABLED, Status= STOPPED.

I am running in Admin account mode

When I put the disk in a XP machine it is read with no problems, any help most appreciated.

Thanks solti

soltisolti

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Yes other CD's work and DVD's work.

No other software installed the system is a bare Windows 7 install. For some reason the Office 2003 Pro cd is not being recognised.

solti

TBH I would still think it's something to do with the disk/drive combination rather than the OS. Not all drives are equal and a disk which is fine in one might not work in another (this is particularly evident with audio CD players).

What about if you "explore" the disk rather than trying to autorun it? You should be able to do that as you've ascertained that other CDs work in the drive.

You could always try making a copy of the disk to see if that works (I don't think Office install disks are copy protected). Or even try sharing the CD drive from your other computer, connect to it via the network, and install from the share.