PSP -- Web browser and email client?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
March 26, 2005 2:23:14 AM

Hi,

Is anyone familiar with any word from Sony or a third party regarding
releasing a web browser and email client for the PSP?

I will certaintly be picking up a PSP in the future, but whether it will be
sooner or later is determined on the release of an 802.11b web browser and
email client.

My main disappointment, so far, with the NDS is there hasn't been such
applications released yet. I realize that both pieces of hardware are
gaming devices first, however I have a real need to be able to do wireless
web/email from work, home, and public. I'm currently using PDA's for such,
but would love to be able to just do from one of the gaming handhelds. (I
only want to have to carry around one piece of hardware.) If good web/email
programs come to light for the PSP (and/or DS), my PDA's will most likely
find themselves listed on Ebay.

Thanks,
-Eric
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 7:06:21 AM

">
> Is anyone familiar with any word from Sony or a third party regarding
> releasing a web browser and email client for the PSP?
>
> I will certaintly be picking up a PSP in the future, but whether it will
be
> sooner or later is determined on the release of an 802.11b web browser and
> email client.
>
> My main disappointment, so far, with the NDS is there hasn't been such
> applications released yet. I realize that both pieces of hardware are
> gaming devices first, however I have a real need to be able to do wireless
> web/email from work, home, and public. I'm currently using PDA's for
such,
> but would love to be able to just do from one of the gaming handhelds. (I
> only want to have to carry around one piece of hardware.) If good
web/email
> programs come to light for the PSP (and/or DS), my PDA's will most likely
> find themselves listed on Ebay.
>
> Thanks,
> -Eric

Be a great app to have, but would there be a need for a 3rd party
keyboard?
The PsP dosn't support bluetooth or infra red as far as I know, and writing
emails by scrolling through letters with a 'd' pad would be enough of a pain
for me to use my PdA for such applications....
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 7:06:22 AM

"the_niner_nation" <dipakREMOVETHIS@hotmailANDTHIS.com> wrote in message

> ">
>> Is anyone familiar with any word from Sony or a third party regarding
>> releasing a web browser and email client for the PSP?
>>
>> I will certaintly be picking up a PSP in the future, but whether it will
> be
>> sooner or later is determined on the release of an 802.11b web browser
>> and
>> email client.
>>
>> My main disappointment, so far, with the NDS is there hasn't been such
>> applications released yet. I realize that both pieces of hardware are
>> gaming devices first, however I have a real need to be able to do
>> wireless
>> web/email from work, home, and public. I'm currently using PDA's for
> such,
>> but would love to be able to just do from one of the gaming handhelds.
>> (I
>> only want to have to carry around one piece of hardware.) If good
> web/email
>> programs come to light for the PSP (and/or DS), my PDA's will most likely
>> find themselves listed on Ebay.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Eric
>>
> Be a great app to have, but would there be a need for a 3rd party
> keyboard?
> The PsP dosn't support bluetooth or infra red as far as I know, and
> writing
> emails by scrolling through letters with a 'd' pad would be enough of a
> pain
> for me to use my PdA for such applications....

What is the little IR area at the top?
March 26, 2005 7:06:22 AM

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 04:06:21 -0000, "the_niner_nation"
<dipakREMOVETHIS@hotmailANDTHIS.com> spewed forth these words of wisdom:

> Be a great app to have, but would there be a need for a 3rd party
>keyboard?
>The PsP dosn't support bluetooth or infra red as far as I know, and writing
>emails by scrolling through letters with a 'd' pad would be enough of a pain
>for me to use my PdA for such applications....

There was a concept keyboard attachment shown at one of the gaming shows.

Galley
March 26, 2005 7:40:47 PM

"the_niner_nation" <dipakREMOVETHIS@hotmailANDTHIS.com> wrote in message

> ">
> > Is anyone familiar with any word from Sony or a third party regarding
> > releasing a web browser and email client for the PSP?
> >
> > I will certaintly be picking up a PSP in the future, but whether it will
> be
> > sooner or later is determined on the release of an 802.11b web browser
and
> > email client.
> >
> > My main disappointment, so far, with the NDS is there hasn't been such
> > applications released yet. I realize that both pieces of hardware are
> > gaming devices first, however I have a real need to be able to do
wireless
> > web/email from work, home, and public. I'm currently using PDA's for
> such,
> > but would love to be able to just do from one of the gaming handhelds.
(I
> > only want to have to carry around one piece of hardware.) If good
> web/email
> > programs come to light for the PSP (and/or DS), my PDA's will most
likely
> > find themselves listed on Ebay.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Eric
> >
> Be a great app to have, but would there be a need for a 3rd party
> keyboard?
> The PsP dosn't support bluetooth or infra red as far as I know, and
writing
> emails by scrolling through letters with a 'd' pad would be enough of a
pain
> for me to use my PdA for such applications....

I was thinking along the lines of a pop-up, on-screen keyboard.

Yeah, I had overlooked that with the PSP you would have to use the D-Pad to
choose and select your characters as it doesn't have a touch screen.
Perhaps word completion could included with such applications to make
entering text less of a PITA? My cell phone has word completion for
entering messages with a pretty good sized dictionary and also allows you to
enter new words into the dictionary. If a cell phone has enough memory for
word completion, it would seem that the PSP should have no problems.

The NDS would be the perfect hardware for web/email, with it's two LCD's and
touchscreens. I'm anxiously waiting for such applications to come to light.

Cheers,
-Eric
!