PSP -- Web browser and email client?

Hi,

Is anyone familiar with any word from Sony or a third party regarding
releasing a web browser and email client for the PSP?

I will certaintly be picking up a PSP in the future, but whether it will be
sooner or later is determined on the release of an 802.11b web browser and
email client.

My main disappointment, so far, with the NDS is there hasn't been such
applications released yet. I realize that both pieces of hardware are
gaming devices first, however I have a real need to be able to do wireless
web/email from work, home, and public. I'm currently using PDA's for such,
but would love to be able to just do from one of the gaming handhelds. (I
only want to have to carry around one piece of hardware.) If good web/email
programs come to light for the PSP (and/or DS), my PDA's will most likely
find themselves listed on Ebay.

Thanks,
-Eric
4 answers Last reply
More about browser email client

    ">
    > Is anyone familiar with any word from Sony or a third party regarding
    > releasing a web browser and email client for the PSP?
    >
    > I will certaintly be picking up a PSP in the future, but whether it will
    be
    > sooner or later is determined on the release of an 802.11b web browser and
    > email client.
    >
    > My main disappointment, so far, with the NDS is there hasn't been such
    > applications released yet. I realize that both pieces of hardware are
    > gaming devices first, however I have a real need to be able to do wireless
    > web/email from work, home, and public. I'm currently using PDA's for
    such,
    > but would love to be able to just do from one of the gaming handhelds. (I
    > only want to have to carry around one piece of hardware.) If good
    web/email
    > programs come to light for the PSP (and/or DS), my PDA's will most likely
    > find themselves listed on Ebay.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -Eric

    Be a great app to have, but would there be a need for a 3rd party
    keyboard?
    The PsP dosn't support bluetooth or infra red as far as I know, and writing
    emails by scrolling through letters with a 'd' pad would be enough of a pain
    for me to use my PdA for such applications....

    "the_niner_nation" <dipakREMOVETHIS@hotmailANDTHIS.com> wrote in message

    > ">
    >> Is anyone familiar with any word from Sony or a third party regarding
    >> releasing a web browser and email client for the PSP?
    >>
    >> I will certaintly be picking up a PSP in the future, but whether it will
    > be
    >> sooner or later is determined on the release of an 802.11b web browser
    >> and
    >> email client.
    >>
    >> My main disappointment, so far, with the NDS is there hasn't been such
    >> applications released yet. I realize that both pieces of hardware are
    >> gaming devices first, however I have a real need to be able to do
    >> wireless
    >> web/email from work, home, and public. I'm currently using PDA's for
    > such,
    >> but would love to be able to just do from one of the gaming handhelds.
    >> (I
    >> only want to have to carry around one piece of hardware.) If good
    > web/email
    >> programs come to light for the PSP (and/or DS), my PDA's will most likely
    >> find themselves listed on Ebay.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> -Eric
    >>
    > Be a great app to have, but would there be a need for a 3rd party
    > keyboard?
    > The PsP dosn't support bluetooth or infra red as far as I know, and
    > writing
    > emails by scrolling through letters with a 'd' pad would be enough of a
    > pain
    > for me to use my PdA for such applications....

    What is the little IR area at the top?

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 04:06:21 -0000, "the_niner_nation"
    <dipakREMOVETHIS@hotmailANDTHIS.com> spewed forth these words of wisdom:

    > Be a great app to have, but would there be a need for a 3rd party
    >keyboard?
    >The PsP dosn't support bluetooth or infra red as far as I know, and writing
    >emails by scrolling through letters with a 'd' pad would be enough of a pain
    >for me to use my PdA for such applications....

    There was a concept keyboard attachment shown at one of the gaming shows.

    Galley

    "the_niner_nation" <dipakREMOVETHIS@hotmailANDTHIS.com> wrote in message

    > ">
    > > Is anyone familiar with any word from Sony or a third party regarding
    > > releasing a web browser and email client for the PSP?
    > >
    > > I will certaintly be picking up a PSP in the future, but whether it will
    > be
    > > sooner or later is determined on the release of an 802.11b web browser
    and
    > > email client.
    > >
    > > My main disappointment, so far, with the NDS is there hasn't been such
    > > applications released yet. I realize that both pieces of hardware are
    > > gaming devices first, however I have a real need to be able to do
    wireless
    > > web/email from work, home, and public. I'm currently using PDA's for
    > such,
    > > but would love to be able to just do from one of the gaming handhelds.
    (I
    > > only want to have to carry around one piece of hardware.) If good
    > web/email
    > > programs come to light for the PSP (and/or DS), my PDA's will most
    likely
    > > find themselves listed on Ebay.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > -Eric
    > >
    > Be a great app to have, but would there be a need for a 3rd party
    > keyboard?
    > The PsP dosn't support bluetooth or infra red as far as I know, and
    writing
    > emails by scrolling through letters with a 'd' pad would be enough of a
    pain
    > for me to use my PdA for such applications....

    I was thinking along the lines of a pop-up, on-screen keyboard.

    Yeah, I had overlooked that with the PSP you would have to use the D-Pad to
    choose and select your characters as it doesn't have a touch screen.
    Perhaps word completion could included with such applications to make
    entering text less of a PITA? My cell phone has word completion for
    entering messages with a pretty good sized dictionary and also allows you to
    enter new words into the dictionary. If a cell phone has enough memory for
    word completion, it would seem that the PSP should have no problems.

    The NDS would be the perfect hardware for web/email, with it's two LCD's and
    touchscreens. I'm anxiously waiting for such applications to come to light.

    Cheers,
    -Eric

Console Gaming PlayStation Email Web Browser Video Games